[comp.sys.amiga] animate-3d updates / writable CD's

jojo@astroatc.UUCP (Jon Wesener) (05/10/88)

	I was just surprised by my mail the other day, when a *FREE* update
to animate-3d came in!!!  FREE, I almost fell over dead with disbelief.
They do ask for a voluntary $10 donation to help defray their costs,
and I'll probably pay it, but that was the 1st update/ notice of an
update I've gotten for any of my software.  Nice Job.

	They also announced some new products like a professional animate-3d
which was pricey at $500+ and drivers for controlling a vcr for frame
recording.

-------------- NEW SUBJECT -------------------------------------------

	Now that Tandy plans on selling it's writable CD's in formats for
music and movies, how long before we have software that can take
frames from my favorite ray-tracer and put them out in sequence to
a movie disk for later playback on a disk player.  I can't even begin
to think about the possibilities that will be open to me once that
is possible.  As for the musician in me, I would love to use my
Amy for home recording onto a CD.  Things like this could really
revolutionize certain industries.

	Any comments/ ideas?

--j
--
jon wesener
... {seismo | harvard | ihnp4} ! {uwvax | cs.wisc.edu} ! astroatc!jojo

"How could something crawl within, my rubber holy baked bean tin?"

johnm@trsvax.UUCP (05/14/88)

> Now that Tandy plans on selling it's writable CD's in formats for
> music and movies, how long before we have software that can take
> frames from my favorite ray-tracer and put them out in sequence to
> a movie disk for later playback on a disk player.  I can't even begin
> to think about the possibilities that will be open to me once that
> is possible.  As for the musician in me, I would love to use my
> Amy for home recording onto a CD.  Things like this could really
> revolutionize certain industries.

Believe me, you'll be the first to hear about it as soon as I get one working.
I bought my A2000 for graphics and this will be the ultimate enhancement.
Unfortunately it may be a long time before even I can get my hands on one that
will be usable (maybe I can get them to make it a SCSI drive, yeah that's it).

John Munsch					Tandy Research and Development
...!{ihnp4,uiucuxc}!sys1!hal6000!trsvax!johnm
A man determined not to be "another one of those annoying Amiga owners".

doug-merritt@cup.portal.com (05/19/88)

John Munsch writes (wrt Tandy's writable CD):
>Believe me, you'll be the first to hear about it as soon as I get one working.
>I bought my A2000 for graphics and this will be the ultimate enhancement.
>Unfortunately it may be a long time before even I can get my hands on one that
>will be usable (maybe I can get them to make it a SCSI drive, yeah that's it).

What's the general timetable on this? Are they still a purely R&D project,
or is it moving into manufacturing in the moderately near future?
(I.e. are we talking months, years, decades?)

You seem dubious about SCSI interface; what kind of interface *is* likely?
Something proprietary to the current Tandy line, or what?
   Doug
---
      Doug Merritt        ucbvax!sun.com!cup.portal.com!doug-merritt
                      or  ucbvax!eris!doug (doug@eris.berkeley.edu)
                      or  ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug