[comp.sys.amiga] Mulit-Sync Monitors and Hard Drives

debate2@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (David Oh) (05/17/88)

Hi all.  I've been reading some magazines and heard the latest little whisper-
ings... It looks like Multi-Sync Monitors is the "way to go".  What I want
to know is does a Multi-Sync Monitor eliminate flicker or do you dish out
$500US for the "flicker fixer"?  If it does eliminate flicker without
the flicker fixer board, what a good low priced MS monitor on the market?
In my area, they can be found for at the least, $1000 Cdn (800US approx.)
I am going to the States this summer and maybe someone can direct me to
a good place to get a MS monitor  (I'll be in NY, NJ and FL)

Also, I am looking for a good inexpensive SCSI controller, that auto-boots.
I know, I want everything cheap, but with Commodore's brilliant sales
management, anything for the Amiga is only 18* more expensive than the IBM
counterpart :-(

Thanx for the help.

:::> Dave Oh      uucp: debate2@watdcsu.waterloo.edu

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (05/19/88)

In article <4704@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> debate2@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (David Oh) writes:
)Hi all.  I've been reading some magazines and heard the latest little whisper-
)ings... It looks like Multi-Sync Monitors is the "way to go".  What I want
)to know is does a Multi-Sync Monitor eliminate flicker or do you dish out
)$500US for the "flicker fixer"?  If it does eliminate flicker without
)the flicker fixer board, what a good low priced MS monitor on the market?

Huh?  Uh, a monitor won't de-interlace the amiga display on its own.
Unless, of course, it's a Hedley monitor!  ;^)  (Translation: you
probably need a flicker fixer.)

)Also, I am looking for a good inexpensive SCSI controller, that auto-boots.
)I know, I want everything cheap, but with Commodore's brilliant sales
)management, anything for the Amiga is only 18* more expensive than the IBM
)counterpart :-(

How much you getting IBM SCSI controllers for these days?  Jeez, you sound
like you came from Mars.  Mass Volume causes prices to go down, maybe?
IBM stuff isn't cheap, by the way, but compatible hardware reflects
volume pricing.

Sales management?  Yeesh.

Anyway, you'll begin to find more autoboot controllers when V1.3 comes
out (when will that be, anyway?).  I suggest you call vendors of SCSI
controllers you like and ask them when an Autoboot version will be
available and to put you on a mailing list or waiting list.
Even Commodore's autoboot controller (A2090A) isn't available yet.  I
don't suggest calling CBM for A2090A availability info, by the way.

Note that CBM's controller supports both SCSI and ST-506, so you can
use those cheap disks bought from IBM ;^).

Try to cover your mouth when you talk, some of your posting is pretty
embarrasing stuff.

--
	Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing
	amiga!jimm	BIX:jmackraz

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (05/20/88)

In article <4704@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> debate2@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (David Oh) writes:
. stuff deleted
>Also, I am looking for a good inexpensive SCSI controller, that auto-boots.
>I know, I want everything cheap, but with Commodore's brilliant sales
>management, anything for the Amiga is only 18* more expensive than the IBM
>counterpart :-(

... part from the RAM expansion board. It was no problem at all to get
2 meg expansion boards and get 20% off the list price. Our company
needed 1.5 meg for a '286 machine, and could almost not get any. All
ads were with the old prices, but when you called to order, they were
up to three times higher! I paid $450 for my 2 meg board, they paid
$1100 for 1.5 meg. (It was NOT any super-fast memory or anything like
that).Be happy!

A question: Could anyone say how many colours you will be able to use
in high-resolution mode with the RSN graphics chip? The only notice I
have seen said 4 colours out of 16, seems ideal for WorkBench.