[comp.sys.amiga] Bug in Lattice 4.01?

drs-ano@duvan.nada.kth.se (Gunnar Nordmark) (05/08/88)

I just got the Lattice 4.01 patch and I was very pleased with it for a while..
...until I tested the first program. That's right: GURU.

The *User abort* requester used to work fine with 4.00 but the new one provided
with 4.01 gurus like a stone.

The read.me file tells me that the modules cxbrk.o, cxovf.o and stub.o has
been rewritten to accept BCPL (!) strings instead of C-strings!

Is this some kind of joke? The old modules worked just fine so what's the
trouble?

I compiled the old cxbrk.c (with - b0) and oml:ed it into lc.lib, and now
everything works as advertised.

Does anyone out there know anything about this?

SNAIL: Gunnar Nordmark          VOICE: +46 8 755 42 52   (Abroad)
       Nora strand 5                    08 - 755 42 52   (Sweden)
       S-182 34 DANDERYD
       SWEDEN                   EMAIL: nordmark@epsilon.stacken.kth.se

ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (Walter Reed) (05/08/88)

In article <348@draken.nada.kth.se> nordmark@epsilon.stacken.kth.se (Gunnar Nordmark) writes:
>I just got the Lattice 4.01 patch and I was very pleased with it for a while..
>...until I tested the first program. That's right: GURU.
>The *User abort* requester used to work fine with 4.00 but the new one provided
>with 4.01 gurus like a stone.
>SNAIL: Gunnar Nordmark          VOICE: +46 8 755 42 52   (Abroad)
>       SWEDEN                   EMAIL: nordmark@epsilon.stacken.kth.se

I called the Lattice BBS intending to report this, and found that they already
have a fix for it.  The file is amfix401.arc.  It appears that the bug was in
all the lc*.lib files.  It replaces the cxbrk.o, stub.o, and cxovf.o modules.
That's all the files with requesters!  I am amazed that 4.01 got out with this
bug since it is SO obvious.

--
------  Walter Reed  ------   + uunet!ndsuvax!ncreed or ncreed@ndsuvax.BITNET
"There's no point in being    +      or ncreed%NDSUVAX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

jca@homxc.UUCP (J.ANTROSIGLIO) (05/10/88)

> The *User abort* requester used to work fine with 4.00 but the new one
> provided with 4.01 gurus like a stone.

Lattice has a patch (#401) on their board that fixes this problem.
At least they say it does!  Patch 400 upgraded 4.0 to 4.1 and patch
401 patches the 400 patch to make it work.
--
	John C. Antrosiglio
	AT&T Bell Laboratories

drs-ano@duvan.nada.kth.se (Gunnar Nordmark) (05/18/88)

In article <881@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (Walter Reed) writes:
>In article <348@draken.nada.kth.se> nordmark@epsilon.stacken.kth.se (Gunnar Nordmark) writes:
>>The *User abort* requester used to work fine with 4.00 but the new one provided
>>with 4.01 gurus like a stone.
>
>I called the Lattice BBS intending to report this, and found that they already
>have a fix for it.  The file is amfix401.arc.  It appears that the bug was in
>all the lc*.lib files.  It replaces the cxbrk.o, stub.o, and cxovf.o modules.

Can someone please mail me amfix401.arc?

Calling the Lattice BBS here from Sweden is not good for your blood pressure,
as the noise level on the transatlantic telephone lines is aproximately
90 dB too high for decent data transfer.

I'm sorry to have to post this, but noone of the people I've asked (to send
me the fix) has replied. Probably some funny thing with my mailer.
I hope there aren't any legal problems involved in e-mailing patches. I am
a registered user, but I do NOT intend to give my serial number here :-)
And besides, it's such a tiny fix anyway, so I'm sure Lettuce won't bother.

Someone, Please?

  - Gunnar

BTW, ABC's "Good Morning America" is broadcasted from SWEDEN this week.
Enjoy!

In article <362@draken.nada.kth.se> (Gunnar Nordmark) writes:
>Can someone please mail me amfix401.arc?
>
>Calling the Lattice BBS here from Sweden is not good for your blood pressure,
>as the noise level on the transatlantic telephone lines is aproximately
>90 dB too high for decent data transfer.

Gunnar, this is what I get when I try to mail to you :
->=======     command failed      =======
->
-> COMMAND: /usr/bin/uux -acbosgd!bpa!cbmvax!uunet!enea!sun.com!cmcmanis  - epsilon!rmail '(nordmark)'
->
->======= standard error follows  =======
->bad system name: epsilon
->uux failed ( 11 )
->======= text of message follows =======
->

>I'm sorry to have to post this, but noone of the people I've asked (to send
>me the fix) has replied. Probably some funny thing with my mailer.
>I hope there aren't any legal problems involved in e-mailing patches. I am
>a registered user, but I do NOT intend to give my serial number here :-)
>And besides, it's such a tiny fix anyway, so I'm sure Lettuce won't bother.

I suspect there is a name collision in the uunet name space somewhere.
Anyway, as I said in my reply and will say again here, call the Lattice
customer support number that is in the manual. Tell them you need the
update and they will send it to you, really simple and a lot cheaper
than long distance to download something from their BBS.

--Chuck McManis