[comp.sys.amiga] Ethernet working for Amiga 500

pauld@ssc-vax.UUCP (Paul Donahue) (05/17/88)

I have just got Ethernet (Telnet, ftp,and NFS (Network File System)) to
work with my Amiga 500 here at Boeing Areospace.  I used the Pacific
Peripherals Subsystem with the Ameristar Ethernet Board.  According to
Ameristar I'm the first one with this configuration.  How nice it is
to be able to quickly transfer files between a Sun and a VAX directly
from an Amiga window.
	It appears the system works reliably.  The Subsystem Power
Supply has a +12v output which I connected to pin 10 of the 86 pin
Subsystem enclosure while opening this same line to the A500.  This was
done because the A500 +12 volt supply is so 'whimpy'.
	The Subsystem needed one ground jumper installed (because I
had bought an early unit). And the enclosure power supply switch was
inserted upside down.  Last, the connectors to the power supply were red and
black. Thus determing which was Positive and negitive was tiresome.
	Ameristars board worked from the start.  They have excellent
software with many nice professional features usually missing on Amiga
software.  They also spent alot of time helping me to install everything.
I'm looking forward to be able to boot from my NFS host (currently a
Sun 3/160 or a 4.3 Unix VAX) this fall.  And having X-Windows.

			Goodbye Kermit!

Not to start a flame war, but to have the NFS capability on the MAC
II you have to buy (a buggy) UNIX (on a 40Meg hard drive) for several thousand
dollars.  And (true) multitasking.......
I can now transfer the 768Kbyte, 640(704 soon)*400, 21bit color Digi-View
raw Red,Green and Blue files to the Macintosh II MUCH faster.  Why?
Because 256 colors (or shades of grey) 'blows away' 16.  With no flicker too.

					Paul Donahue

Obviously these are facts and not my own opinions...  And Unix will
appear on the Amiga tomorrow.

P.S.  If anybody wants a review (and the problems) I've had getting
Digi-View and the Amiga to work optimally let me know.

paz@mimir.dmt.oz (Paul Zemancheff) (05/18/88)

In article <1931@ssc-vax.UUCP>, pauld@ssc-vax.UUCP (Paul Donahue) writes:

> I have just got Ethernet (Telnet, ftp,and NFS (Network File System)) to
> work with my Amiga 500 here at Boeing Areospace.  I used the Pacific
> Peripherals Subsystem with the Ameristar Ethernet Board.  According to
> Ameristar I'm the first one with this configuration.  How nice it is
> to be able to quickly transfer files between a Sun and a VAX directly
> from an Amiga window.

> 	Ameristars board worked from the start.  They have excellent
> software with many nice professional features usually missing on Amiga
> software.  They also spent alot of time helping me to install everything.
> I'm looking forward to be able to boot from my NFS host (currently a
> Sun 3/160 or a 4.3 Unix VAX) this fall.  And having X-Windows.
>
> 			Goodbye Kermit!

	I have a few questions about the above article.

	What is the cost of the Ameristar Ethernet board ?????. Is it usable
on the A2000 as well ?. Oh by the way what is the Pacific Peripheral Subsystem
and what does it cost ??

						paul...

Paul Zemancheff		      PHONE: +61 3 487 9271
CSIRO Division of	      ACSNET or CSNET: paz@mimir.dmt.oz
Manufacturing Technology,     ARPA: paz%mimir.dmt.oz@uunet.uu.net
Melbourne, Australia.	      UUCP: {uunet,ukc,mcvax}!munnari!mimir.dmt.oz!paz

In article <1931@ssc-vax.UUCP> pauld@ssc-vax.UUCP (Paul Donahue) writes:

> I have just got Ethernet (Telnet, ftp,and NFS (Network File System)) to
> work with my Amiga 500 here at Boeing Areospace.  I used the Pacific
> Peripherals Subsystem with the Ameristar Ethernet Board.  According to
> Ameristar I'm the first one with this configuration.  How nice it is
> to be able to quickly transfer files between a Sun and a VAX directly
> from an Amiga window.

Great.  Please try to persuade the Ameristar people that it is really
worth their while to to make an A500 version of their ethernet i/f.
I've been working on them for a while, but examples of people who
actually connect the A500 directly to the ether would be helpful.

> 	It appears the system works reliably.  The Subsystem Power
> Supply has a +12v output which I connected to pin 10 of the 86 pin
> Subsystem enclosure while opening this same line to the A500.  This was
> done because the A500 +12 volt supply is so 'whimpy'.

I'm confused.  The power supply that comes with this Pacific Peripherals
product has a +12 output, but it's not normally hooked up?

In any case opening the +12 connection to the A500 if you supply
power to the interface is the right approach (+5 and -12 also).  The
output of two random power supplies hooked together isn't healthy.

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (SBCS Systems Staff) (05/19/88)

In article <1148@mimir.dmt.oz>, paz@mimir.dmt.oz (Paul Zemancheff) writes:
> 	What is the cost of the Ameristar Ethernet board ?????. Is it usable
> on the A2000 as well ?. Oh by the way what is the Pacific Peripheral Subsystem
> and what does it cost ??
>
> 						paul...
>
> Paul Zemancheff		      PHONE: +61 3 487 9271

	The board is designed to operate with either the A2000 or
	B2000 Amiga's.  For US$899 you get an Ethernet board, and client
	side FTP/TELNET/rlogin/NFS software.  I am just finishing up server
	code for FTP/TELNET, plus some other simple clients like rsh, etc.

	In the works are A500 Ethernet/memory, NeWS client/server code,
	and SLIP based products - all due later this Summer.

	For more information, send mail to ..!philabs!sbcs!ameristar!rneill,
	or call (516) 698-0834.

					Rick Spanbauer
					SUNY/Stony Brook
					(& Ameristar)

kevin@Lindy.STANFORD.EDU (Kevin J. Burnett) (05/21/88)

Excuse me, but why are these messages being posted to comp.sys.mac?
--
Kevin Burnett
Stanford Linear Accelerator Centre / Santa Clara Class of '88