[comp.sys.amiga] system shock, df0: --> a:

hutch@net1.ucsd.edu (Jim Hutchison) (05/09/88)

Hi folks, I'm working on 4 different machines with 4 different operating
systems.  Unix (News/Play), MS-DOS (work), AmigaDOS (home), and SOS (work),
combined are overloading some common operators just a wee bit.

Is there a way to use something like Assign in some clever way to get
df0: to be called a:, and df1: to be called b: ?  If I could mount them
both under ram:/a ram:/b I would be just as happy.  Anything to get a
little commonality going.
    Jim Hutchison   		UUCP:	{dcdwest,ucbvax}!cs!net1!hutch
		    		ARPA:	Hutch@net1.ucsd.edu
Disclaimer:  I represent my own opinions.

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (05/15/88)

In <4936@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, hutch@net1.ucsd.edu (Jim Hutchison) writes:
>Is there a way to use something like Assign in some clever way to get
 >df0: to be called a:, and df1: to be called b: ?  If I could mount them
 >both under ram:/a ram:/b I would be just as happy.  Anything to get a
 >little commonality going.

Yes, it's...

ASSIGN DF0: a:
  or
ASSIGN DF1: b:

Or am I missing some point key to understanding what you want to do?

-larry

--
Janus? Well, look at it this way. If you squint a little, the J could be
       Amiga checkmark, and the rest of the word describes MsDos.

> >df0: to be called a:, and df1: to be called b: ?  If I could mount them
> >both under ram:/a ram:/b I would be just as happy.  Anything to get a
> >little commonality going.
>ASSIGN DF0: a:
>Or am I missing some point key to understanding what you want to do?

	Yes.  Unfortunetly, the assign assigns a: to the particular DISK
in the drive at the time.  If you put another disk in the drive and attempt
to reference A:, it will ask for the first one back.

	Soft links would be a nice addition to AmigaDos ...

				-Matt

roch@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu (05/16/88)

/* Written  3:24 pm  May 14, 1988 by lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP in uiucdcsm:comp.sys.amiga */

In <4936@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, hutch@net1.ucsd.edu (Jim Hutchison) writes:
>Is there a way to use something like Assign in some clever way to get
 >df0: to be called a:, and df1: to be called b: ?  If I could mount them

Yes, it's...

ASSIGN DF0: a:
  or
ASSIGN DF1: b:

-larry

|   //   Larry Phillips                                          |
/* End of text from uiucdcsm:comp.sys.amiga */

Almost Larry - it's
	assign a: df0:
	assign b: df1:	- arguments reversed

				david
				roch@a.cs.uiuc.edu

debate2@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (David Oh) (05/17/88)

In article <8805152310.AA19001@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>> >df0: to be called a:, and df1: to be called b: ?  If I could mount them
>> >both under ram:/a ram:/b I would be just as happy.  Anything to get a
>> >little commonality going.
>>ASSIGN DF0: a:
>>Or am I missing some point key to understanding what you want to do?
>
>	Yes.  Unfortunetly, the assign assigns a: to the particular DISK
>in the drive at the time.  If you put another disk in the drive and attempt
>to reference A:, it will ask for the first one back.

Actually, there is a program out there that will assign any further references
of A: to df0:.  This PD program is called DEVASSIGN and it works for me...
If you don't have it, E-mail me or something... I'll see if I can post it
to binaries!

:::>  Dave Oh       uucp: debate2@watdcsu.waterloo.edu

nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) (05/17/88)

In article <4936@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, hutch@net1.ucsd.edu (Jim Hutchison) writes:
> Hi folks, I'm working on 4 different machines with 4 different operating
> systems.  Unix (News/Play), MS-DOS (work), AmigaDOS (home), and SOS (work),
> combined are overloading some common operators just a wee bit.
> Is there a way to use something like Assign in some clever way to get
> df0: to be called a:, and df1: to be called b: ?  If I could mount them
>     Jim Hutchison   		UUCP:	{dcdwest,ucbvax}!cs!net1!hutch
> 		    		ARPA:	Hutch@net1.ucsd.edu

Try using assigndev on fish disk #79. This seems to have been the popular
way that many A/B2000 owners who put an old external from their A1000
adapted to having df0: and df2: instead of df0: and df1:.
Isn't this another good argument for wanting UNIX on the Amiga. I also work
with 4 OS's (OS/MVS, UNIX, MS-DOS, and A-DOS0) and except for the IBM 370,
which I never want to look at again, I would like more standardization. It
looks like MS-DOS and A-DOS are heading towards UNIX anyway.

--
"Don't quote me on this!"                      Michael Figg
					       DLA Systems Automation Center

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (05/17/88)

In article <8805152310.AA19001@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>> >df0: to be called a:, and df1: to be called b: ?  If I could mount them
>> >both under ram:/a ram:/b I would be just as happy.  Anything to get a
>> >little commonality going.
>>ASSIGN DF0: a:
>>Or am I missing some point key to understanding what you want to do?
>
>	Yes.  Unfortunetly, the assign assigns a: to the particular DISK
>in the drive at the time.  If you put another disk in the drive and attempt
>to reference A:, it will ask for the first one back.

   The AssignDev program by Phil Lindsay on Fish Disk 111 will allow
you to assign alternate device names to a physical device - not to
the volume mounted in that device.  With AssignDev, you could

assigndev a: df0:
assigndev b: df1:

   and these assignments will remain regardless of volume swapping.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

nic@dworld.UUCP (Nic Bernstein) (05/17/88)

In article <7200036@uiucdcsm> roch@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>/* Written  3:24 pm  May 14, 1988 by lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP in uiucdcsm:comp.sys.amiga */
>In <4936@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, hutch@net1.ucsd.edu (Jim Hutchison) writes:
>>Is there a way to use something like Assign in some clever way to get
> >df0: to be called a:, and df1: to be called b: ?  If I could mount them
>Yes, it's...
>
>ASSIGN DF0: a:
>  or
>ASSIGN DF1: b:
>
>|   //   Larry Phillips                                          |
>
>Almost Larry - it's
>	assign a: df0:
>	assign b: df1:	- arguments reversed
>
>				david

	Actually, as was already mentioned here before, Assign will assign
a: to the volume which is in the drive, not to the device itself.  A while
ago someone from CATS posted a PD program called AssignDev which I think
would allow this (sorry I forgot who it was, no slight intended) since it
allowed such manuevers as:

	AssignDev df2: df1:

	On a related note, can anybody think of a way to alias the root
character from : to / for all of us forgetful types?  Or how about mounting
a volume in the middle of another volume's hierarchy, and maybe some soft
and hard links, and how about.....

	Oh never mind, I must have been dreaming there...

--
Careful with that axiom, Euclid			Nic Bernstein
			       			Discovery World Museum

debate2@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (David Oh) (05/18/88)

In article <4936@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> hutch@net1.UUCP (Jim Hutchison) writes:

>Is there a way to use something like Assign in some clever way to get
>df0: to be called a:, and df1: to be called b: ?  If I could mount them
>both under ram:/a ram:/b I would be just as happy.  Anything to get a
>little commonality going.

Acutally, what you could do is re-mount the df0: as a:... Here is a
mountlist that will do that:

A:         Device = trackdisk.device
           Unit   = 0
           Flags  = 1
           Surfaces  = 2
           BlocksPerTrack = 11
           Reserved = 2
           PreAlloc = 11
           Interleave = 0
           LowCyl = 0  ;  HighCyl = 79
           Buffers = 20
           BufMemType = 3
#

(I wanted to send you mail but I couldn't figure out how to privately mail
--- I'm new at Usenetting :-)

:::> Dave Oh		uucp:debate2@watdcsu.waterloo.edu
			PLINK: dave*oh

doug-merritt@cup.portal.com (05/22/88)

Nic Bernstein writes:
>	On a related note, can anybody think of a way to alias the root
>character from : to / for all of us forgetful types?

I've conceived a way to do it as far as AmigaDOS is concerned, but
the problem is that there's a lot of software that make explicit assumptions
about the meaning of ':' and '/' etc, so that to allow Unix style names
like "/df0/c/rename" instead of "df0:c/rename" would require modifications
to all of those utilities, too. There's a long shot approach I'm still
working on that might allow it to work 100% (i.e. invisibly). You'll
hear about it if I succeed.

>Or how about mounting
>a volume in the middle of another volume's hierarchy, and maybe some soft
>and hard links, and how about.....

That part is relatively easy, although I don't know how long it'll take
me to finish it. I should say it's conceptually easy. The code is kind
of hairy. Interestingly enough, I had a harder time with the design
of hard links than with symbolic links...originally I thought it would
be the other way around. And I'm not sure I like the performance hit
that my solution imposes.

>	Oh never mind, I must have been dreaming there...

Or maybe I am...I haven't actually got it working yet...design looks
good but it's vaporware until it works. Would there be a market for
a file system enhancement package like this, do you think?
	Doug
      Doug Merritt        ucbvax!sun.com!cup.portal.com!doug-merritt
                      or  ucbvax!eris!doug (doug@eris.berkeley.edu)
                      or  ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug