[comp.sys.amiga] UNWRAP:, and printf

doug-merritt@cup.portal.com (05/22/88)

Thad Floryan writes:
>Why not include a de-shar/unshar capability (along with directory structure
>cognizance) into a terminal program as one of its "download" option
>capabilities?  While one is "at it", stick in de-ARC and de-ZOO too.

Yeah, that would be really handy.

>Doesn't anyone else see the commercial opportunity to make big $$$ here?

Maybe. But then again, with the IPC servers various people are implementing,
such a capability should quickly become available invisibly. With the
proper server set up (such as what Tony Sumrall and I have been discussing),
you could specify a special download name like "UNWRAP:df0/filename".
It'd be just another filename to your terminal program, but the UNWRAP
device would be a server that would de-ARC/de-shar/de-ZOO etc as
appropriate.

There's a potential glitch in that shar's and such often need human
intervention to identify and cut at their start and end, but that could
be dealt with having some interaction with UNWRAP if necessary, and
it'd *still* be far more convenient than current approaches.

And you wouldn't have to switch from you current favorite commercial
or PD telecom package just to get this feature.

I have designed such an UNWRAP device, and I'm currently working on
code to implement such features via a utility, prior to converting
it to be a device. I've got many of the pieces required working already.

It's temporarily on the sidelines, however. I'm currently testing my printf()
workalike, because Stallman (of the GNU Free Software Foundation) tells
me that their original printf() volunteer can't figure out how to do %f,
%e and %g using the ecvt() I wrote for them last year. Jeez...some people;
ecvt() is the hard part; printf is easy! It kills me to see my donated code
going to waste because some idiot is too lazy to look and see that what he
needs is already done; no extra code required. Sigh.

Anyway, it's a nice printf (e.g. it's user-extensible) so I expect to post an
Amiga version of it at some point. And probably most of the rest of the C
library, since I've reimplemented most of it for one reason or another. Aside
from the GNU compiler, it might also be useful with the PD C compiler people
are fooling with.
	Doug
---
      Doug Merritt        ucbvax!sun.com!cup.portal.com!doug-merritt
                      or  ucbvax!eris!doug (doug@eris.berkeley.edu)
                      or  ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug