[comp.sys.amiga] Need recommendation for telecommunications program

padre@clark-emh.arpa (Brad R. Harper) (05/08/88)

A hearty disagreement has ensued. I find Diga! a superior comm pkg.
Of course the fact that I own stock in said company has NO bearing on
my fact based opinions.
Seriously, I do prefer Online! except that the Kermit protocol doesnot
work here.

My opinions are based upon a history of mental dependency of confusion!
.
[A[A[

prplworm@cup.portal.com (05/10/88)

If he wants the BEST communications program, he should wait for Amic to be
released. To get an idea of what Amic is like, pick up the last PD version
(Amic v0.58e) off of a BBS, look at it, and add in MORE speed, MORE protocols,
MORE script commands, MORE...etc. Believe me, it's great! The commercial versio
of Amic *will* have Zmodem and Kermit, btw (they weren't in any of the

Of course, the fact that I'm beta-testing this beauty could make me biased, but
I don't think so (I loved it when it was PD, too).

Chris L. Hatch
Usenet: prplworm@cup.portal.com
Portal: prplworm
GEnie:  C.HATCH

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (05/14/88)

I think that the old "Starship term" or Starterm
program is very good.

Amiga World Mag. also recommended it very highly.(at least when
I read the article on communications.)

The best thing about it is it's CHEAP, see in as how it's
ShareWare.

I've used DIGA before but prefer to keep my StarTerm.

It doesn't have auto-redial or dozens of different emulators.

It always works though.

Dave S.

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (05/14/88)

>/ hpcilzb:comp.sys.amiga / pollock@usfvax2.EDU (Wayne Pollock) /  6:06 pm  May  3, 1988 /
>My brother is about to purchase an Amiga 500.  I promised him I would find
>a good communications program for him.  Does anyone have a favorite?
>(Or any other software they would care to recommend?)
>
>If "communications wars" have just been waged here, I don't mean to start
>them up again; could someone mail me the name of the winner?
>
>Thanks!
>

>Wayne Pollock (The MAD Scientist)	pollock@usfvax2.usf.edu

Wow how did this get here -- after the responses I read earlier.
Our net stuff sure has been weird latly.

Anyhow-- As I said before -- Check out "Starship Term or StarTerm"

Amigaworld rated it very highly. I use it all the time.
If does not have dozens fo emulatiors or auto redial like DIGA, but
it works very well.

It's kinda like the Volkswagen Bug of communication programs. (NO flames
please -- this is ment as a compliment.)

It has no frills but work well. It has Xmodem and kermit (I believe).

It has softkeys, and a phone list.

The BEST thing about it is the price -- it's shareware.

It's also small -- so it doesn't take up too much disk space.

I have StarTerm on a disk to do my banking with. I still have room
for one year of bank statements. I usually get one or two statements
per month.

I also have room on this same disk for a CLI and some other utilities
I use for banking.

Check it out before you buy any of those expensive packages.

Dave S.

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (05/15/88)

In article <5273@cup.portal.com> prplworm@cup.portal.com writes:

> If he wants the BEST communications program, he should wait for Amic to be
> released. To get an idea of what Amic is like, pick up the last PD version
> (Amic v0.58e) off of a BBS, look at it, and add in MORE speed,MORE protocols,
> MORE script commands, MORE...etc. Believe me, it's great!
> Of course, the fact that I'm beta-testing this beauty could make me biased,

How close to 100% VT100 emulation does it get?  I often need to
log in on various archaic systems that think they're talking to real,
exact, VT100's....

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,mit-eddie,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (05/22/88)

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) writes:
>Anyhow-- As I said before -- Check out "Starship Term or StarTerm"
>
>Amigaworld rated it very highly. I use it all the time.
>If does not have dozens fo emulatiors or auto redial like DIGA, but
>it works very well.
>
>It's kinda like the Volkswagen Bug of communication programs. (NO flames
>please -- this is ment as a compliment.)
>
>It has no frills but work well. It has Xmodem and kermit (I believe).
>
>It has softkeys, and a phone list.
>
>The BEST thing about it is the price -- it's shareware.

It's also been made obsolete :-).  COMM is the new VW Bug of telecomm
software (with a Porsche engine called WXmodem).  COMM's even less
expensive than any shareware term: it's free public domain.

Oh, and hey, you say AmigaWorld recommended Starterm? Isn't that the same
magazine whose Editor, Guy Wright said he doesn't like Telecommunications
because it's "too complicated" ??

Harv Laser, Sysop, The People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax, rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com

In article <4136@gryphon.CTS.COM> hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:

>Oh, and hey, you say AmigaWorld recommended Starterm? Isn't that the same
>magazine whose Editor, Guy Wright said he doesn't like Telecommunications
>because it's "too complicated" ??

Yes, that was one of the funniest things I'd seen in a while. I never read
the Zeitgeist (sp?) column that bashed telecommunications as being a
complete waste, but I read the letters in the next issue who all agreed,
and it struck me as a little one sided. Either they got no letters
in support on telecomunications of they ignored them. Not to cool.

It seems unlikely they wouldnt get a single letter in support of telecom,
I mean gosh, who hasnt got the time to write a letter on paper, I mean
reaind the NET doenst take up that much time, I.......

Oh.

I'll shut up now.

--
           Have a nice day or Klortho will rip your nuts off.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                          rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard

doug-merritt@cup.portal.com (05/23/88)

Harv Laser said:
>Oh, and hey, you say AmigaWorld recommended Starterm? Isn't that the same
>magazine whose Editor, Guy Wright said he doesn't like Telecommunications
>because it's "too complicated" ??

Yes, but that's nothing to belittle. To sneer at that editorial is to
be complacent about what's currently available.

I do telecommunications every day, both Usenet and BBS, LAN's, downloads,
uploads, ftp, etc. And I use whatever services/programs are available to do
what I want quite successfully. I've implemented transfer protocols, I'm an
OS internals hacker, and *I* totally agree with that editorial. It *is*
much harder than it should be to get things done. It's easy to be elitist,
and take that attitude "well, *I* figured it out, so anyone who says it's
too hard must be an idiot."

But that misses a point...how much easier *could* it be? If you've ever
worked in an environment that supported tightly coupled file systems,
where the network was invisible, you might not be so complacent. Also I
see no reason why user interfaces on BBS's must be so primitive that they
scare off non-expert users. I know plenty of people who just don't want
to bother, because they're so user-hostile.

The *only* truly nice and modern user interface I've ever seen is
Apple's, that has a really nice icon-driven system that lets you
do all kinds of stuff (mail etc) over their network as easily as you
do things on your local machine. I've got a mental block on the name
of their network, but this is their internal national network that all of
the Apple offices use to talk to each other. As implemented on Mac's,
it's really nice.

I claim there's every reason to want about three orders of magnitude
improvement in the user interfaces used in both host and slave telecom
programs. People who sell commercial BBS software should be embarrassed...
as should all of the commercial service bureau's like Genie, etc. That
stuff is stone age technology. I saw high school hackers write stuff
of equivalent functionality in the mid-70's.

A plea to the world at large: It's 1988...wake up!
	Doug
--
      Doug Merritt        ucbvax!sun.com!cup.portal.com!doug-merritt
                      or  ucbvax!eris!doug (doug@eris.berkeley.edu)