[comp.sys.amiga] A1000 & 68010

gay%CLSEPF51.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (David Gay) (05/23/88)

>From: kurt geisel <kgeisel@nfsun.uucp>
>
>Does anyone have a brief summary of the advantages/disadvantages of
>dropping in a 68010 in place of an A1000's 68000?  I am specifically
>interested in software compatibility issues.  Is there any minute
>speed increase?  I am seeing more compilers and applications which
>are claiming "68010/68020" support.

I've done this modification myself :
a) software compatibility. Not too many problems. You do find the odd
program that crashes. In those cases, DeciGel is a *must*. It is a (small)
utility that catches references to the one big (?) problem, trying to read
the condition codes directly (you should be calling the ROM), and corrects
it (ever heard of self-modifying code ?). Of course, for games that
autoboot, it won't help. I've heard that WordPerfect has ? had ? this
problem, and I've had StarTerm crash on me, but no other problems. As for
68010 support, there isn't really anything you can do especially (except
use the loop mode, which will increase speed for things like memory
copying by about ... (digs up the specs ... still searching ... can't find
them) 25% ?).

b) This brings me to speed. I ran a few benchmarks, and found improvements
varying between 0 (text, not surprising) & 10 % (various calculations).

All in all, I guess it wouldn't be worth paying for (depends on the
price of the 68010 really).

>No need to mention the warranty, that's long expired...  And I'm not
>squeamish about opening the case and changing chips.

There's not much to it (except taking all the screws out !). You might
have to remove the drive, but maybe not. It wasn't very difficult.

David Gay              EPFL, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne
GAY@CLSEPF51.bitnet    Switzerland

Glorf !

Disclaimer: They don't even know I exist. I'm hiding away in the
computer room.