[comp.sys.amiga] IMPORTANT!!!!

billium@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Bill Blanke) (05/19/88)

I've got a very big problem here. I recently got a Perfect Sound sampler, Sonix,
and Studio Magic thinking that I would be able to create great instruments and
really good Sonix songs. BIG PROBLEM! Studio Magic makes 5 octave IFF
instruments. I don't know what Sonix uses! Apparently it isn't IFF. It won't
load in my instruments, and neither Studio Magic or PLAY (A IFF sampled sound
player) will load the Sonix instruments on their disk. Sooooooo, I was
wondering if anyone knew a program to convert IFF to Sonix and vice versa, or
if anyone knew of a command in Sonix or Studio Magic to do the same thing.

IFF instruments to Sonix. Anyone know how?

Thanks

USA/Missouri/KC/DEC/Davis.Richard) (05/20/88)

> BIG PROBLEM! Studio Magic makes 5 octave IFF
>instruments. I don't know what Sonix uses! Apparently it isn't IFF. It won't
>load in my instruments, and neither Studio Magic or PLAY (A IFF sampled sound
>player) will load the Sonix instruments on their disk.

Hmmm.  Well a couple of things come to mind.  First, check out AudioMaster by
Aegis.  Really cool program.  It lets you save 5-octave and 3-octave instru-
ment files.  Concerning your problem though, is your Sonix disk in a drive
while you are attempting to load the IFF instruments.  The reason I ask is
because Sonix needs to load in stuff off of the program disk once and a while.
If it can't find what it wants, it says "can't load instrument from disk."
If you only have one drive, try loading the "pre-load score" and then try

BTW, Sonix stores its instruments in RFF (Riley File Format) which is not
compatible with anything else that I know of, but Sonix WILL load IFF...

Richard Davis				...decwrl!mdkcsw.dec.com!davis
Digital Equipment Corporation

doug-merritt@cup.portal.com (05/22/88)

Richard Davis writes:
>BTW, Sonix stores its instruments in RFF (Riley File Format) which is not
>compatible with anything else that I know of, but Sonix WILL load IFF...

I never heard of that (RFF). What is it, and where can I get information
about it? And why do they use it?
Thanks,
   Doug
---
      Doug Merritt        ucbvax!sun.com!cup.portal.com!doug-merritt
                      or  ucbvax!eris!doug (doug@eris.berkeley.edu)
                      or  ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug

fox@garfield.columbia.edu (David Fox) (05/23/88)

This is not "IMPORTANT!!!!".  This is "Sonix / Perfect Sound / Studio Magic
compatibility problem" or something.

-david