[comp.sys.amiga] Low cost Hard Disk is here for A1000 and A500!!

stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (05/21/88)

There has been a few postings asking questions about the Wedge in the
past, but only a trickle of information seeing its way back to the NET,
so I thought I could relate my experience as a Wedge owner for those
still interested.  (Disclaimer: I do not work for nor am I affiliated
with RSI in any form other than as a happy customer.)

I am a PC convert, sold MOST of my IBM clone hardware to come up with
the bucks for an Amiga. The main item I held on to was a 40meg ST-506
hard disk (and some 256k DRAMS, smart?) :)  So my quest was to interface
it to my Amiga (obviously). The Wedge offered just what I wanted, a buss
adaptation to a lowcost IBM compatible HD controller, namely ST-506!
The Wedge played right out of the box, (some assembly required, housings,
HD powersupply, etc.) though at first attempt to run it on the passthrough
of my SOT memory (Escourt II) I ran into some read/write errors to the HD.
This problem went away after installing C-ltds PAL upgrade and appropriate
grounding, to compensate for the Amigas weak/slow buss for multiple
expansions. This is apparently a 50/50 possibility for A1000s out there and
is NO REFLECTION ON THE WEDGE OR THE ESCOURT II.  Now I have what I feel
is REALLY a functional and practical machine without having to spend
a fortune!!  The Wedge, WTC5150 controller and associated software (low
level formatter, drivers etc.) only cost me $250 (incl. S&H) under the
User Group pricing offered by RSI.  Throw in a couple cables and boxes
and I was up and running for a fraction of the cost for most A1000 HD
systems! I know RSI also offers complete kits (drives and all) for very
reasonable prices (40 megs for around $700 approx. (don't quote me on
that price)) but they do offer each part separatly if you're like I was
and have some components.  I don't know about you all, but I think this
is exciting!!!!  For about the same price as a Supra 20 meg Hd system or
about half the cost of a C-ltd 40 meg Hd system you can put together a
40 MEGABYTE WEDGE!!! (price comparisons made from ABEL supply price list).
NOW THAT'S HOT! So if you don't mind I'll pass on the pertinent information:

                         R.S.I.
                  9651 Alexandra Road
                  Richmond, B.C.
                  Canada   V6X 1C6
                  (604) 270-0064

Again, I am in no way affiliated with any of the manufacturers
mentioned above, I just want the word to get out, HD RELIEF IS HERE!!

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (05/23/88)

Stan Fisher writes:

> For about the same price as a Supra 20 meg Hd system or
> about half the cost of a C-ltd 40 meg Hd system you can put together a
> 40 MEGABYTE WEDGE!!! (price comparisons made from ABEL supply price list).
> NOW THAT'S HOT!

Perhaps when the thing offers auto-config and auto-boot it'll be even
hotter.

			--M

Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu			    BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

"if you ain't ill it'll fix your car"