[comp.sys.amiga] CMI Kickstart and 1.3 ROM's

harald@leo.UUCP ( Harald Milne) (05/20/88)

	Slap me if this is silly.

	Does anybody know if the CMI kickstart eliminatir ROM's for the A1000
are in fact the same type of ROM in the A500/A2000. If so, the ROM's
could be replaced using the CBM ROM set as oppossed to CMI.

	Anybody know if CMI is alive and kicking, and still willing to supply
upgrade ROM's?

--
Work: Computer Consoles Inc. (CCI), Advanced Development Group (ADG)
      Irvine, CA (RISCy business!)

baer@percival.UUCP (Ken Baer) (05/22/88)

In article <3071@leo.UUCP> harald@leo.UUCP ( Harald Milne) writes:

>	Slap me if this is silly.
>
>	Does anybody know if the CMI kickstart eliminatir ROM's for the A1000
>are in fact the same type of ROM in the A500/A2000. If so, the ROM's
>could be replaced using the CBM ROM set as oppossed to CMI.
>
>	Anybody know if CMI is alive and kicking, and still willing to supply
>upgrade ROM's?

I saw the CMI guys a couple of weeks ago, and they were still smiling, so
I would say that they are indeed still in business, and doing quite well.
They said that they will have some kind of trade-in policy for the e-proms
to upgrade to 1.3 Kickstart.  I don't think the chip is physically the
same as the KS ROM in the A500/A2000.  I have the CMI Kickstart Eliminator
in my A1000, and have been very happy with it.
	Incidentally, CMI has a bunch of new goodies coming out that look
quite nice.  They have a couple of MIDI boxes that look good (I'm not really
a MIDI person though).  They also are coming out with a daughter board that
plugs into the 68000 socket, that has the new faster 68000.  They said that
it will increase CPU intensive operations by about 35%, and it will cost
$149.  The board will also have a socket for a Math coprocessor
(not included).  Looks like a good compromise for someone who wants more
speed but doesn't have the $$$ for a 68020 board.

Disclaimer: I have no financial relationship with CMI, they a just a bunch
of nice guys who make nice products.

--
	-Ken Baer.
   //   Hash Enterprises: When the Going gets Weird, the Weird go Professional

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (05/23/88)

In article <3071@leo.UUCP> harald@leo.UUCP ( Harald Milne) writes:

>	Does anybody know if the CMI kickstart eliminatir ROM's for the A1000
>are in fact the same type of ROM in the A500/A2000. If so, the ROM's
>could be replaced using the CBM ROM set as oppossed to CMI.

   Im not sure about CMI's KickStart kit, but I do know the 2 products from
   Michigan Software (A KickStart replace kit, and a dual KickStart kit for
   the 500/2000) use 4 EPROM's where the 500/2000 use 1 ROM. So in this case
   (and I would guess the CMI case), NO the CBM ROM could not be used.

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein   uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!sneakers
 Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!sneakers@uunet.uu.net