[comp.sys.amiga] Mail Order - my experience

lgreen@pnet01.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) (05/20/88)

With all the concern about a certain mail order outfit in Michigan, here's my
50 pesos (about $0.02 give or take a mill with the exchange rate):

March 10, give a call to said outfit, order Diga!, TxEd and FastFonts,
charging all to plastic.

Within a few days, recieve a letter indicating everything on backorder. I
leave for a week's vacation.

Come back, in my mail pile is a package from them, contains Diga! and a charge
sheet for Diga! only (about $53 total).

Time passes...I think about calling them about my order but let it slip due to
my work load.

Move forward to yesterday, May 18, 7:30 AM PDT. Get a call. Yep, it's them
asking if I still want my order. They state they no longer carry the two
backordered products, but maybe want TxEd Plus? I'm polite, say thanks but no
and the rest of my order is cancelled.

Unexpected?  Yes.

Am I a smart consumer? In this case, definitely not.

In the end, I was charged for ONLY the product I received and that's it.

Oh well, live and learn.....

Larry Greenwald

UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!lgreen
ARPA: crash!pnet01!lgreen@nosc.mil
INET: lgreen@pnet01.cts.com
SNAIL:4545 Collwood Blvd, #52  San Diego, CA 92115
*-> If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress ??

DMasterson@cup.portal.com (05/21/88)

In message <2985@crash.cts.com>, lgreen@pnet01.cts.com writes:
>With all the concern about a certain mail order outfit in Michigan, here's my
>50 pesos (about $0.02 give or take a mill with the exchange rate):

[stuff about transaction with mail-order house munched... <yum>]

>Am I a smart consumer? In this case, definitely not.
>
>In the end, I was charged for ONLY the product I received and that's it.
>
>Oh well, live and learn.....

I'm confused...  It sounds like this mail order house did well by you.  I did
an order through one mail order house (on Compuserve no less) that charged my
order almost immediately, but I never received the merchandise.  What was
wrong with the mail-order house and who were they??

>Larry Greenwald

David Masterson
DMasterson@cup.portal.com

lgreen@pnet01.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) (05/25/88)

DMasterson@cup.portal.com writes:
>In message <2985@crash.cts.com>, lgreen@pnet01.cts.com writes:
>>With all the concern about a certain mail order outfit in Michigan, here's my
>>50 pesos (about $0.02 give or take a mill with the exchange rate):
>>
>[stuff about transaction with mail-order house munched... <yum>]
>>
>>Am I a smart consumer? In this case, definitely not.
>>
>>In the end, I was charged for ONLY the product I received and that's it.
>>
>>Oh well, live and learn.....
>>
>I'm confused...  It sounds like this mail order house did well by you.  I did
>an order through one mail order house (on Compuserve no less) that charged my
>order almost immediately, but I never received the merchandise.  What was
>wrong with the mail-order house and who were they??
>
>David Masterson
>DMasterson@cup.portal.com

David, I don't think that last line of mine summed it up too well. Unlike
others who were burned by MCS, I got a part of my order and was charged only
for the received part.

I was not too particular about following consumer guidelines about mail order
simply because I was invloved with other things. I SHOULD have called after 30
days but sisn't. The fact that *THEY* called me was the kicker. Maybe somebody
back there has been reading the nets and is kicking ass to get their service
up to reasonable expectations. (Oh well, :-)).

Anyway, I have now tried Go Amigo for a copy of TxED Plus to see how well they
do.

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (05/26/88)

In article <3017@crash.cts.com> lgreen@pnet01.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) writes:
.DMasterson@cup.portal.com writes:
.>In message <2985@crash.cts.com>, lgreen@pnet01.cts.com writes:
.>>With all the concern about a certain mail order outfit in Michigan, here's my
.>>50 pesos (about $0.02 give or take a mill with the exchange rate):
.>>
.>[stuff about transaction with mail-order house munched... <yum>]
.>>
.>>Am I a smart consumer? In this case, definitely not.
.>>
.>>In the end, I was charged for ONLY the product I received and that's it.
.>>
.>>Oh well, live and learn.....
.>>
.>I'm confused...  It sounds like this mail order house did well by you.  I did
.>an order through one mail order house (on Compuserve no less) that charged my
.>order almost immediately, but I never received the merchandise.  What was
.>wrong with the mail-order house and who were they??
.>
.>David Masterson
.>DMasterson@cup.portal.com
.
.David, I don't think that last line of mine summed it up too well. Unlike
.others who were burned by MCS, I got a part of my order and was charged only
.for the received part.

Oh me gawd -- a company in Michigan with the same initials as us -- and
they're con artists too... :-(

We're not in the Amiga business... but *please* don't mistake us for these
bozos!

---
Karl Denninger                 |  Data: +1 312 566-8912
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc. | Voice: +1 312 566-8910
...ihnp4!ddsw1!karl            | "Quality solutions for work or play"