[comp.sys.amiga] VTProlog problem

roch@uiucdcsm.cs.uiuc.edu (05/19/88)

/* Written 11:53 pm  May 16, 1988 by u-jleigh%sundial@utah-gr.UUCP in uiucdcsm:comp.sys.amiga */
/* ---------- "VTProlog problem" ---------- */
The note said that VTProlog was a tiny prolog but this is ridiculous:
I wrote a two rule member function as follows:

member(A,[A|B]).
member(A,[B,C]):- member(A,C).
	   ^---- bug, see below
Result:-   BOOOOOM!!! Software Error, GURU, Lock up......
Thanks in advance,
Jason Leigh  (replies to u-jleigh@ug.utah.edu)
/* End of text from uiucdcsm:comp.sys.amiga */

Jason,
	While I don't know why VTProlog would crash,
your program is bugged.  Try:
	% member(Element, List) - succeeds if Element is in List.
	member(X, [X|Xs]).
	member(X, [_|Xs]) :- member(X,Xs).

If you have over a megabyte, I suggest that you try
using Stony Brook Prolog version 2.2.  Scott Evernden
and I ported it a while back, and it is available
by anonymous FTP on a.cs.uiuc.edu.

LordBah@cup.portal.com (05/21/88)

No one seems to be complaining about this, so I guess there's a
fundamental shortcoming in my understanding of Prolog. Perhaps
someone can point it out to me?

good(stuff).
?- good(stuff).
No.

Seems to me the correct reply should be "Yes", no?

lordbah@cup.portal.com

jeffle@amtfocus.UUCP (Jeff Leitheiser) (05/24/88)

How can I get a copy of Stony Brook Prolog without access
to Arpanet?

I've been waiting for the prolog that was promised by MIT...
I'd like to get the Sony Brook prolog, but being a casual net
user, I don't know how ( I don't have an Arpa connection ).

Thanks in advance!

Jeff Leitheiser     (312) 576-0836

jeffle@amtfocus     chinet!mcdchg!amtfocus!jeffle

RMann@his-phoenix-multics.arpa (Roger Mann) (05/24/88)

roch at m.cs.uiuc.edu says:> >If you have over a megabyte, I suggest you
try >using Stony Brook Prolog version 2.2.  Scott Evernden >and I ported
it a while back, and it is available by anonymous FTP >on a.cs.uiuc.edu

What is the file name ?  I would like to download it.  BTW, does it
contain source, executable, documentation or what ?  Also, I assume that
it is shareware or PD stuff.  Thanks.

Starved for Prolog on the Amiga.

Roger Mann RMann%pco@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Fish-Guts) (05/25/88)

> How can I get a copy of Stony Brook Prolog without access
> to Arpanet?
>
> I've been waiting for the prolog that was promised by MIT...
> I'd like to get the Sony Brook prolog, but being a casual net
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                 WOW!  Sony is entering the Amiga Software Market! ;-)
> user, I don't know how ( I don't have an Arpa connection ).
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Jeff Leitheiser     (312) 576-0836
>
> jeffle@amtfocus     chinet!mcdchg!amtfocus!jeffle

     On a more serious note, I too would be interested in information
about how to get ahold of Stony Brook Prolog without having to go
through ftp.  A while back I tried to get a copy for our VAX, here,
but we don't have an Arpanet connection, and the University (which I
attend and which we are a member of) kept saying, "yeah, machines with
an Arpa feed which you can use will be up *any*day*now*."  Needless to
say, I gave up after several months of them not putting up the Arpa
link.

     Therefore, if anyone has information on how to get Stony Brook
Prolog to an Amiga without having to ftp it, two people would
appreciate it.

					-Chris--
         Chris Lishka            /{seismo|harvard|topaz|...}!uwvax!uwslh!lishka
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene  { lishka%uwslh.uucp@rsch.wisc.edu
"My cockatiels control my mind!" \lishka@uwslh.uucp

fnf@fishpond.UUCP (Fred Fish) (05/27/88)

In article <133@amtfocus.UUCP> jeffle@amtfocus.UUCP (Jeff Leitheiser) writes:
>How can I get a copy of Stony Brook Prolog without access
>to Arpanet?

Since this seems to be a popular question recently, just a quick note to
let everyone know that this Prolog distribution will comprise 2 of the 8-10
new disks in my library, to be released this weekend.

-Fred

--
# Fred Fish    hao!noao!mcdsun!fishpond!fnf     (602) 921-1113
# Ye Olde Fishpond, 1346 West 10th Place, Tempe, AZ 85281  USA