[comp.sys.amiga] More storage on a miniscribe 3650

jbwaters@bsu-cs.UUCP (J. Brian Waters) (05/26/88)

The following is an article I found on getting a bit more storage out of
the miniscribe 3650.  Since the fast file system is coming soon and alot of
people will probably be reformating thier hard drives anyway this may be of
interest.  I have not tried it yet, but plan to when I get the ffs.  That
is unless I hear that it is a bad idea for some reason before then.

First of all, the disclaimers....USE THIS INFORMATION AT YOUR OWN RISK
Equipment required....Miniscribe 3650 and an 2090HD Controller Card....

The background...A few weeks ago in INFOWORLD a very respected IBM hacker,
STEVE GIBSON, in his TECH TALK column was extolling the virtues of the
Miniscribe 3650.  Among the topics was the fact that the 3650 actually leaves
the factory with 852 cylinders NOT 809. This got the wheels turning.....
Of course when I tried it out with PREP I found I could not changed the number
cylinders as it is preset.  Howevr there is away around it! Here is the poop:

1. Whip out NEWZAP and WORK ON A BACKUP of your "Prep" utility that came
with the 2090 controller.
2. In the String Search gadget type "$032A" (w/o the quotes) this is "810"
3. Continue Search (L-A+c) you will come to three addresses (at 1C3,1C7,1CB)
4. Change the 2A in each to a 54....($0354=852)
5. Click on save.
6. NEXT BACKUP your HardDisk with any of your favorite utilities
7. The next step is relative to how you setup your drive...

IF YOU HAVE NO PARTITIONS, CHANGE THE REFERENCE TO DH0: IN YOUR MOUNTLIST
TO REFLECT THE NEW CYLINDERS...

DH0:       Device = hddisk.device
           Unit   = 1
           Flags  = 0
           Surfaces  = 6
           BlocksPerTrack = 17
           Reserved = 2
           Interleave = 0
           LowCyl = 2  ;  HighCyl = 851 <------THIS IS TO BE CHANGED
           Buffers = 100
	   BufMemType = 4
#
RES0:      Device = hddisk.device
           Unit   = 1
           Flags  = 0
           Surfaces  = 6
           BlocksPerTrack = 17
           Reserved = 0
           Interleave = 0
           LowCyl = 0  ;  HighCyl = 1
           Buffers = 1
           BufMemType = 4

#

JUST MOUNT RES0:, PREP RES0: THEN REFORMAT DRIVE
IT WILL NOW FORMAT OUT to 852! LOOK AT AN INFO OF MY DRIVE
I have 969K DH0: and 42M dh1: (partitioned) total increase over 2 MEGS
I have used this drive extensively in the last couple of days to make sure
I did not do anything wrong and it has work flawlessly.  Leave me a message
were successful.  I would like to meet other happy MINISCRIBE 3065 owners out
there and will help you if this is GREEK....STEVE GEORGE...OHR619-PLINK
S.GEORGE-GEnie

Mounted disks:
Unit Size    Used    Free Full Errs   Status   Name
DH1:  42M   44471   40289  52%   0  Read/Write HardDisk <----Partition 2
DH0: 969K    1549     387  80%   0  Read/Write HDWBench <----Partition 1
DF2: No disk present
DF1: No disk present
DF0: 880K    1680      78  95%   0  Read Only  Workbench 1.2
RAM:   3K       4       0 100%   0  Read/Write

Volumes available:
HDWBench [Mounted]
RAM Disk [Mounted]
HardDisk [Mounted]
Workbench 1.2 [Mounted]

--
Brian Waters              <backbone>!---\
                                   ihnp4!{iuvax|pur-ee}!bsu-cs!jbwaters

gunther@cbmvax.UUCP (Ed Gunther QA) (05/28/88)

In article <3189@bsu-cs.UUCP> jbwaters@bsu-cs.UUCP (J. Brian Waters) writes:
> The following is an article I found on getting a bit more storage out of
> the miniscribe 3650.
>

> 1. Whip out NEWZAP and WORK ON A BACKUP of your "Prep" utility that came
> with the 2090 controller.
> 2. In the String Search gadget type "$032A" (w/o the quotes) this is "810"
> 3. Continue Search (L-A+c) you will come to three addresses (at 1C3,1C7,1CB)
> 4. Change the 2A in each to a 54....($0354=852)
> 5. Click on save.
> 6. NEXT BACKUP your HardDisk with any of your favorite utilities
> 7. The next step is relative to how you setup your drive...
>
> IF YOU HAVE NO PARTITIONS, CHANGE THE REFERENCE TO DH0: IN YOUR MOUNTLIST
> TO REFLECT THE NEW CYLINDERS...

     Why go to all this trouble if you have all the relevent information
     about the hard drive?  Just use the user defined option in prep and
     enter the information.

     Please note also:
     If you are using an A2090 with our hddisk.device, the first partition
     is automatically mounted.

> DH0:       Device = hddisk.device
>            Unit   = 1
>            Flags  = 0
>            Surfaces  = 6
>            BlocksPerTrack = 17
>            Reserved = 2
>            Interleave = 0
>            LowCyl = 2  ;  HighCyl = 851 <------THIS IS TO BE CHANGED
>            Buffers = 100
> 	   BufMemType = 4
> #
>
> --
> Brian Waters              <backbone>!---\
>                                    ihnp4!{iuvax|pur-ee}!bsu-cs!jbwaters
>                                               uunet!---/

  __  Ed Gunther            COMMODORE AMIGA TEST ENGINEERING
 /        /\                "The LAST line of defense. (PERIOD)"
<    ==  /__\               UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!gunther
 \__    /    \              PHONE 215-431-9356 (life or death only please!)
     "Disclaimer, heck no!  NOooo PROBLEM.  You have myyyy word on it."

raymund@sci.UUCP (Raymund Galvin) (05/28/88)

In article <3189@bsu-cs.UUCP>, jbwaters@bsu-cs.UUCP (J. Brian Waters) writes:
> The background...A few weeks ago in INFOWORLD a very respected IBM hacker,
                                                                     ^^^^
> STEVE GIBSON, in his TECH TALK column was extolling the virtues of the
> Miniscribe 3650.  Among the topics was the fact that the 3650 actually leaves
> the factory with 852 cylinders NOT 809. This got the wheels turning.....

 <text deleted - described how to use the extra cylinders>

> Brian Waters              <backbone>!---\
>                                    ihnp4!{iuvax|pur-ee}!bsu-cs!jbwaters
>                                               uunet!---/

Do you back up your files often?   Those extra tracks that you are using
are the inner most tracks which are the least reliable tracks on a disk drive
(too many flux changes squeezed into not enough space).  If the manufacturer
claims that all 852 cylinders work reliably, use all 852 tracks; however, if
the manufacturer only gaurantees 809, they probably have found the last 43
cylinders to be unreliable.

Ray Galvin