[comp.sys.amiga] In defense of Purnelle

fetrow@bones.stat.washington.edu (Dave Fetrow) (05/27/88)

In article <707@applix.UUCP> scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) writes:

>Don't bother.  I have absolutely no respect for Jerry Pournelle's opinion.
>Do you really expect JP to sing Amiga praises in PC/Mac-only rags like Byte,
>InfoWorld, and wherever else he send his drivel?  I see no reason to send
>him stuff just to stroke his ego.  If he calls the Amiga junk because he
>doesn't get enough free stuff, then screw him.  Commodore should send the
>goodies to Matt, or Leo, or Fred.
>
>-scott

 At the risk of opening a flame: I've been reading Pournelle's column a
long time: since CP/M-80 was a hot O.S. I've often found his column helpful.

 He doesn't see his primary purpose in life as evaluating computer stuff;
he's a Science Fiction writer that uses computers in his work. He's interested
in new stuff but he's not going to deal with stuff that's a big hassle. He
says this almost every column.

 Going out and buying a hard drive and more memory IS a hassle. If you are
living in a sea of fast drives and mondo-memory machines with good software
hiding their bad features it is insane.

 A lot of people look to him as Guru (no pun intended); which may be
unfortuneate but that's the situation. From his perspective he seems
pretty fair (the perspective of a writer). He has some ignorant things
but is tremendously broad minded compared to some of the Big-Blue and Apple
legionarres.

 He's not calling the Amiga junk BECAUSE he doesn't get enough free stuff;
he may be saying it isn't-so-wonderful-as-your-work-computer as a CONSEQUENCE
of not having a well equipped machine.

 Maybe even with a well equipped 2000 he wouldn't be too keen: there are time
limits, as a writers machine the Amiga software lags, and frankly it isn't
quite as stable due to multitasking (a price us Amigans are willing to pay).

  -Dave Fetrow-
  {ihnp4,tektronix}!uw-beaver!entropy!fetrow 	:UUCP
  fetrow@entropy.ms.washington.edu 		:INTERNET
  7833117@UWAVM					:BITNET

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (05/29/88)

In article <893@entropy.ms.washington.edu>, fetrow@bones.stat.washington.edu (Dave Fetrow) writes:
> limits, as a writers machine the Amiga software lags, and frankly it isn't
> quite as stable due to multitasking (a price us Amigans are willing to pay).
I am not sure why a multi-taking machine is less stable (I presume in the
sense of crashing oftener). When I crashed Amigas, it was because I was
hacking microemacs and fiddling with the display window (Now I know what
Amiga fireworks are. Tho' I don't know why Ami gets upset about conflicting
commands about window sizes); or because I was using timer device improperly
(On a borrowed 1000 with nothing to help me except the RKM). With finished
programs I have never had a crash. (Freeware excluded). The only trouble I
have had (I call it a bug; my friends don't) is: printer.device timing out
becuase I was compling a c program while emacs was trying to read a 3000-line
file. (Obvously the printer driver was being kept idle too long)
I don't run games except Chessmaster. If that is a guide, crashing is due to
bad programmers and not becuase of multi-tasking. If I am wrong, please tell
me and include exapmles.