[comp.sys.amiga] Tandy

rajeev@mit-caf.UUCP (Rajeev Jayavant) (05/26/88)

Does anybody out there know whether the 3.5" drives that Radio Shack
sells for the Tandy 1000EX be used with Amy?  They're on sale for
$99.95 this month - about the right price for an additional drive, eh?
The ad claims 720K capacity, but is that a hardware limitation or just
a result of the way the PC clones format the drive?  Thanks for any
help.
							Rajeev
--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Rajeev Jayavant		   Quote: "Excuse me.  I've lost my marbles." (P. Opus)

davidc@pyr.gatech.EDU (David Carter) (05/27/88)

In article <1003@mit-caf.UUCP> rajeev@caf.mit.edu (Rajeev Jayavant) writes:
>Does anybody out there know whether the 3.5" drives that Radio Shack
>sells for the Tandy 1000EX be used with Amy?  They're on sale for
>$99.95 this month - about the right price for an additional drive, eh?
>The ad claims 720K capacity, but is that a hardware limitation or just
>a result of the way the PC clones format the drive?  Thanks for any
>help.

I took a close look at that drive when it was on sale here a couple of months
ago.  It looks like it will work, but you would have to build a whole new cable
(theirs didn't have enough conductors, and of course didn't have a DB-23 plug).
I think the drive was the older style, 1.26" tall Teac.

If you're willing to make your own case and get a better drive, try Jade.  I
just got a sale flyer in the mail, and it has their Toshiba drive for only $98.
The drive itself is 1" tall and requires only 5vdc.  It includes the universal
mounting kit (with 5.25" mounting bracket, and 4 face plates- black/beige,
4"/6" wide) as well as a few connectors you can canibalize.  Oh yes, and you
get a 90 day warranty.

You're right- capacity depends on how they're formatted.  The drives are 1M
bytes unformatted, 720K on the PC, and 880K on the Amiga.
--
David Carter
uucp: ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!davidc

davidc@pyr.gatech.EDU (David Carter) (05/27/88)

[]
For either the RS or Jade drives, you will also need to build the 2-3 chip
"motor latch and Amiga ID" circuit (which has been passed around both here
and on various BBS's).

ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) (05/28/88)

In article <5842@pyr.gatech.EDU>, davidc@pyr.gatech.EDU (David Carter) writes:
> In article <1003@mit-caf.UUCP> rajeev@caf.mit.edu (Rajeev Jayavant) writes:
> >Does anybody out there know whether the 3.5" drives that Radio Shack
> >sells for the Tandy 1000EX be used with Amy?  They're on sale for
> [stuff deleted]
> I took a close look at that drive when it was on sale here a couple of months
> ago. It looks like it will work, but you would have to build a whole new cable
> If you're willing to make your own case and get a better drive, try Jade.  I
> just got  sale flyer in the mail, and it has their Toshiba drive for only $98.
> You're right- capacity depends on how they're formatted.  The drives are 1M
> bytes unformatted, 720K on the PC, and 880K on the Amiga.
> --
> David Carter

One item to check on before purchasing a non-Amiga standard drive is
to make sure the drive in question recognizes Disk-Change signal.
While most drives will have the micro-switch mounted in them for this
signal, not all drives pass the signal through the connector.  The
drives will still work but you will have to always type mount and
dismount when changing disks.  THis can get to be a pain in
the butt.

George Gibeau

--
(Why do we drive on our parkways and park on our driveways?)
Idiots?  They're worse than idiots.  They're bureaucrats!!

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (05/29/88)

I am not sure, but the drive in the Pacific peripherals subsystem is a
Toshiba. If that is true, check out the drive carefully. I get soft
errors if the drive head has to move several tracks at once. For example
I get a soft error on long files written on a disk 80% full; or after
formatting, when the heads move from track 79 to track 0. But given
a second (my reaction time to clicking on the requester), every thing
goes smoothly.
This is not a problem with the power supply as the subsystem drive is
powered externally and I have never had this problem with the internal
drive.

cmcmanis@sun.uucp (Chuck McManis) (05/31/88)

In article <548@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:
> I get soft errors if the drive head has to move several tracks at once.

This is characteristic of a drive that has a minimum head step rate that
is greater than 3 milleseconds. When stepping from one track to another the
head can keep up, but when you get to a bunch of tracks the head can't
keep up an boom! error. Get a copy of 'StepRate' from the archives or from
one of the later fish disks and slow down the step rate to make those errors
go away.

--
--Chuck McManis
These opinions are my own and no one elses. But you knew that, didn't you.