[comp.sys.amiga] BBS's

ngorelic@csm9a.UUCP (Noel Gorelick) (05/27/88)

I'm trying to get a BBS up and running on my ami1000.
	sounds pretty simple right?, especially if you use one of the
	canned shareware programs, or something like that...

I tried TAG-BBS first, off of FF60 (I think) and I couldn't get all
the way through the generation step without a guru.  (usually, I
just barely get into the generation step and get one...)

So i figured, well, maybe it's just something weird here, so I dug
around a little bit, and found a copy of Citadel-BBS, ported from
MS-DOS.  Apparently it was a good port, cause I got it to work...
once.  Everytime (except for two) it gurus as soon as I try to enter
the SYS-OP function.  (and once, in an edit, it overflowed stack
space, but that doesn't count)

Anyone have any suggestions?    ie: anyone got it to work?
    or should I just give up and write my own?
    ( where do I find x-modem protocalls? )

"...the caliope crashed to the ground." |   ngorelic@csm9a
   These aren't my opinions!            |   ...udenva!isis!csm9a!ngorelic
    I found them.   Honest!             |  ...boulder!isis!csm9a!ngorelic

langz@athena.mit.edu (Lang Zerner) (05/31/88)

In article <730@csm9a.UUCP> ngorelic@csm9a.UUCP (Noel Gorelick) writes:
>I'm trying to get a BBS up and running on my ami1000.
>	sounds pretty simple right?, especially if you use one of the
>	canned shareware programs, or something like that...
> [Noel goes on to describe gurus with TAG-BBS and Citadel...]
>Anyone have any suggestions?
>    or should I just give up and write my own?

I recently came across a package called Link BBS, sometimes listed on systems
offering it as CommLink.  It is a simple, shareware BBS which is still in Beta
test, but I have found it to be bug-free as far as it goes.  If you want a
usable, configurable system that costs under $25 ($35 gets you some kind of
update registration), you should check it out.  BTW, to all you programmers out
there, I'm glad to see that interest in writing BBS systems is on the rise.  I
get the feeling that within a year we will probably see a renaissance in Amiga
BBS shareware not unlike the one we all witnessed in terminal emulation
software in the first year or two after the 1000 became publically available.

Be seeing you...
 Lang Zerner      langz@athena.mit.edu     ihnp4!mit-eddie!athena.mit.edu!langz
"Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage..."
      -- Bill Shakespeare, Twelfth Night, I.v.19

alan@hprnlin.UUCP (05/31/88)

>I tried TAG-BBS first, off of FF60 (I think) and I couldn't get all
>the way through the generation step without a guru.  (usually, I
>just barely get into the generation step and get one...)

Version 1.3 of TAG-BBS does not guru during setup.  There is a BBS in
Sacramento running that version -- 2 months and no problems.  I have
that version with source code on my BBS.

| -Al Harrington            ________      | Instant Guru -- All Amiga BBS!  |
|                           |__/\__|      |        (916) 457-7176           |
|                                         |            60 Megs!             |
| ..ucbvax!hplabs!hprnlin!alan            |     GT Net/Node  005/002        |
| ..ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac!athena!haringtn |   Baud: 1200/2400 Hours: 24     |