[comp.sys.amiga] More DMouse 1.03 bugs

plouff@nac.dec.com (Wes Plouff) (05/18/88)

DMouse 1.03 is really nice, but it has a couple of annoying bugs or
misfeatures.  Here's what happens when it runs on my system, an A1000
with 512K, 2 drives, v1.2 operating system and no other software
enhancements or hacks.  These are listed in order from minor bugs to
possible funny interactions.

1.  At bootup, screen blanks after random time shorter than 5 minutes.
    After that first time, screen blanking works normally.

2.  At bootup, DMouse does not respond to Left-Amiga-esc comman until
    after first mouse movement or click.

3.  The s/startup-sequence lines
	if EXISTS sys:system
		path sys:system add
	endif
    etc. no longer add the 'system' and 'utilities' directories to the
    file search path.  (Possibly misunderstanding of CLI on my part.)

4.  With click-to-front enabled, start Diskman v2.0.  Click on gadget or
    filename.  The title bar disappears.  Click right mouse button.
    Title bar reappears.  (Is the Diskman "title bar" actually a
    separate window?)

Even with these flaws, DMouse has displaced PopCLI from my boot disk and
taken away all temptation to use MACH.

--
Wes Plouff				plouff%nac.dec@decwrl.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corp, Littleton, Mass.	or ...!decwrl!nac!plouff

In article <8805171931.AA07452@decwrl.dec.com> plouff@nac.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:
|DMouse 1.03 is really nice, but it has a couple of annoying bugs or
|misfeatures.
|Even with these flaws, DMouse has displaced PopCLI from my boot disk and
|taken away all temptation to use MACH.

I LOVE DMOUSE!  The only thing I am missing (and I know this is a sore
point with Matt) is a "popup clock/timer".  How can we convince Matt to
add the clock to DMOUSE?  Food? Money? :-)

One reason I need a "popup" clock/timer if for upload/downloads.  If Dmouse
had it, I would even think about shipping it with every copy of A-Talk III.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

doug-merritt@cup.portal.com (05/19/88)

Marco Papa writes:
>I LOVE DMOUSE!  The only thing I am missing (and I know this is a sore
>point with Matt) is a "popup clock/timer".  How can we convince Matt to
>add the clock to DMOUSE?  Food? Money? :-)

I don't think this is appropriate...I asked Matt about adding a really
trivial feature (making ^H work in string requesters), and he pointed
out to me that the scope of DMOUSE is strictly limited. You can't add
every cute/useful little feature in the world to something; that process
gets out of hand quickly. (This is my view, I'm not quoting him directly).

What you *really* want is a front-end interface language for Commodities
Exchange. CX *is* the Perfect and General Method of handling any and
all input handlers. Adding a standalone popup clock handler is easy, adding
one to dmouse is easy, but the *right* place to put it is in a connection
to CX. Jimm did a fantastic job on CX; anyone who hasn't taken the time
to read the documentation on it yet is really missing out...it is an
absolutely inspiring design. See Fish disk 87.

My suggestion about a script language for CX isn't essential, it's just
that it would then become trivial to add such features to CX. Actually,
it's already *almost* trivial if you know how CX works. This would just
take it that one last step.
	Doug
---
      Doug Merritt        ucbvax!sun.com!cup.portal.com!doug-merritt
                      or  ucbvax!eris!doug (doug@eris.berkeley.edu)
                      or  ucbvax!unisoft!certes!doug

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (05/19/88)

In article <9163@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>I LOVE DMOUSE!  The only thing I am missing (and I know this is a sore
>point with Matt) is a "popup clock/timer".  How can we convince Matt to
>add the clock to DMOUSE?  Food? Money? :-)
>One reason I need a "popup" clock/timer if for upload/downloads.  If Dmouse
>had it, I would even think about shipping it with every copy of A-Talk III.

Mach (latest is version 2.1) has a compile-time option for generating
"Machclk" which has a clock.  The clock can be toggled on or off, has
modes for either auto pop-to-front or not, and a special mode for
cost/minute so you can rate the cost of the current session on your
favorite dial-up data service.  Mach also has popcli, blanker,
sunmouse, clicktofront (one or two click options), adjustable mouse
speed, screen-to-front rA-M cycler (but sadly no window cycler),
beeper, hot funkeys, one-hand mode, whatever else I may have forgotten,
and features are all toggleable from the command line or while running.
And it DOES include source.  All in all, a very nice package.
(I have no connection, am just a satisfied user of Mach.)

--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (05/19/88)

In article <8805171931.AA07452@decwrl.dec.com> plouff@nac.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:
>DMouse 1.03 is really nice

Agreed!  I love having mouse acceleration.

>3.  The s/startup-sequence lines
>	if EXISTS sys:system
>		path sys:system add
>	endif
>    etc. no longer add the 'system' and 'utilities' directories to the
>    file search path.  (Possibly misunderstanding of CLI on my part.)

Hey!  I've experienced the same phenomenon.  Any CLIs I pop up have only
one thing on their path:  "sys:c".  Maybe dmouse isn't starting it up in
such a way that the path gets inherited correctly.  I haven't tried to
figure out just what the problem is:  I first noticed it late last night
as I was tired.  Maybe this means it's time to switch over to a shell.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

In article <2254@antique.UUCP| vax135!cjp (Charles Poirier) writes:
|In article <9163@oberon.USC.EDU| papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
||I LOVE DMOUSE!  The only thing I am missing (and I know this is a sore
||point with Matt) is a "popup clock/timer".  How can we convince Matt to
||add the clock to DMOUSE?  Food? Money? :-)
||One reason I need a "popup" clock/timer if for upload/downloads.  If Dmouse
||had it, I would even think about shipping it with every copy of A-Talk III.
|
|Mach (latest is version 2.1) has a compile-time option for generating
|"Machclk" which has a clock.  The clock can be toggled on or off, has
|modes for either auto pop-to-front or not, and a special mode for
|cost/minute so you can rate the cost of the current session on your
|favorite dial-up data service.  Mach also has popcli, blanker,
|sunmouse, clicktofront (one or two click options), adjustable mouse
|speed, screen-to-front rA-M cycler (but sadly no window cycler),
|beeper, hot funkeys, one-hand mode, whatever else I may have forgotten,
|and features are all toggleable from the command line or while running.
|And it DOES include source.  All in all, a very nice package.
|(I have no connection, am just a satisfied user of Mach.)

Sorry, but I have to disagree.  I got Mach (1.6?) [thanks for Bob and
the other guy that mailed it to me], and I tried it and it just crashes
and misbehaves TOO much.  It locks up too many times, and it misbehaves
on GADGETS.  So I find it unusable.  I guess I'm sold on Dmouse and
will be waiting for a popup/clock/timer [ala sidekick] to surface.
The current crop of clocks [including the one in mach] just don't
cut it.

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (05/21/88)

In article <9206@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>on GADGETS.  So I find it unusable.  I guess I'm sold on Dmouse and
>will be waiting for a popup/clock/timer [ala sidekick] to surface.
>The current crop of clocks [including the one in mach] just don't
>cut it.

I guess I don't really know what you are looking for in a clock, but
I've been using a tiny little clock called wclock for a while now.
It's only about 640 bytes on disk.  The window is only big enough for
the time of day and doesn't do a timer, date, or anything else.  what I
like about it is that it pops to the front every time it changes the
time, so it always comes to the front even after you rearrange
windows.

I have no idea who wrote it or even where I got it.  I don't ever
remember seeing a doc or readme file for it.  I just like it, that's
all.

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

In article <5593@cup.portal.com>, doug-merritt@cup.portal.com writes:
> My suggestion about a script language for CX isn't essential, it's just
> that it would then become trivial to add such features to CX. Actually,
> it's already *almost* trivial if you know how CX works. This would just
> take it that one last step.

AREXX is a decent scripting language. It's not well suited to handling
things other than text strings directly, but you can put in a level of
abstraction to hide the stuff.

I wouldn't want to try to pass input messages through it, but as a tool to
build trees it'd work fine. Use integers or other tokens to tell REXX about
the nodes...
--
-- Peter da Silva      `-_-'      ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- "Have you hugged your U wolf today?" ...!bellcore!tness1!sugar!peter

doug-merritt@cup.portal.com (05/23/88)

I wrote about creating a script language for Commodities Exchange.

Peter da Silva replied:
>AREXX is a decent scripting language. It's not well suited to handling
>things other than text strings directly, but you can put in a level of
>abstraction to hide the stuff.

I've been staying out of the AREXX discussion so far, mainly because
it seems clear to me that there are good arguments on both sides.

But let's not take it too far...your enthusiasm has taken you to a point
where you could say the same thing about *anything*, like if I ask for
a startup script language for VT100 (it already has one, btw) then you
say, "oh, 'script language', that's my cue...USE AREXX!!!"

Don't pound square pegs into round holes! No matter how wonderful
AREXX is, the simple fact of the matter is that very few people have it,
and at $50 a shot, it's going to stay that way. If you insist that
everything use AREXX, then we'll have to wait until everyone does
have it to implement anything new.

More logical would be to create a CX script language now. Later, when
1.4 includes AREXX as part of the standard distribution, *then* we
can use it with CX (if you still think it's appropriate, which I have
strong doubts about). Until then we need interim solutions.

Hmmm...I didn't use any arguments about technical merit. Ok, consider
this...what I was talking about for CX doesn't need *any* of the features
of AREXX. It doesn't need pattern matching, it doesn't need real smart
IPC control, it doesn't need control structures.

All you need is something real simple, like a file specifying what
program to start up when some hotkey is pressed, and translations
specifying that hotkey A should be translated to hotkey B, etc. You
could write AREXX programs to do this, sure, but it'd be a lot
harder than it would be with a simple script language. And it would be
overkill to boot. CX already supports all of the *functionality* you
need; it's just that currently you need to tell it what you want via
a C program. I'm proposing a more human friendly interface, that even
non-programmers could use, that's all.

It's not like you to have knee jerk reactions, Peter. Usually you think
things out very clearly. Oh well...I've posted much dumber things myself,
so I shouldn't criticize...With all the AREXX debate going on, it must be
easy to get jumpy.
	Doug
--

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (05/27/88)

In <5768@cup.portal.com>, doug-merritt@cup.portal.com writes:
 >Don't pound square pegs into round holes! No matter how wonderful
 >AREXX is, the simple fact of the matter is that very few people have it,
 >and at $50 a shot, it's going to stay that way. If you insist that
 >everything use AREXX, then we'll have to wait until everyone does
 >have it to implement anything new.
 >
 >More logical would be to create a CX script language now. Later, when
 >1.4 includes AREXX as part of the standard distribution, *then* we
 >can use it with CX (if you still think it's appropriate, which I have
 >strong doubts about). Until then we need interim solutions.

  The only problem with what you say is that I, and probably most people,
have seen very little of CX. All I ever saw was a 'proposal' sort of thing
that described the Commodities Exchange, without going into a lot of
detail, and without any binaries/source/whatever. Yes, ARexx is a $50
package, and yes, not everyone has it, but to many people, right now, it is
a lot more available than CX, and is getting ever increasing support from
developers. Looking at it another way, would you consider $50 to be an
outrageous price for a fine quality tool?

 >Hmmm...I didn't use any arguments about technical merit. Ok, consider
 >this...what I was talking about for CX doesn't need *any* of the features
 >of AREXX. It doesn't need pattern matching, it doesn't need real smart
 >IPC control, it doesn't need control structures.

  Right. They sound to me like two completely different things

 >All you need is something real simple, like a file specifying what
 >program to start up when some hotkey is pressed, and translations
 >specifying that hotkey A should be translated to hotkey B, etc. You
 >could write AREXX programs to do this, sure, but it'd be a lot
 >harder than it would be with a simple script language. And it would be
 >overkill to boot. CX already supports all of the *functionality* you
 >need; it's just that currently you need to tell it what you want via
 >a C program. I'm proposing a more human friendly interface, that even
 >non-programmers could use, that's all.

  Perhaps I am remembering the one article I read on CX badly, but I didn't
think it was any more than an arbiter of hotkey combinations? Is there
more? If so, please tell me more about it.

 >It's not like you to have knee jerk reactions, Peter. Usually you think
 >things out very clearly. Oh well...I've posted much dumber things myself,
 >so I shouldn't criticize...With all the AREXX debate going on, it must be
 >easy to get jumpy.

  Are you sure it was a knee jerk reaction? Sounds to me like Peter got
caught up in the simplicity and power of ARexx, and passed on some of that
enthusiasm.

-larry

--
If all the MSDos machines were laid end to end,
  they still wouldn't be as fun as a single Amiga.

doug-merritt@cup.portal.com (05/30/88)

Larry Phillips writes:
>[I] have seen very little of CX. All I ever saw was a 'proposal' sort of thing
>that described the Commodities Exchange, without going into a lot of
>detail, and without any binaries/source/whatever.

CX was distributed on Fish disk 87, both documentation and binaries.
It was also locally distributed by Jimm at a BADGE meeting.

>Yes, ARexx is a $50
>package, and yes, not everyone has it, but to many people, right now, it is
>a lot more available than CX, and is getting ever increasing support from
>developers. Looking at it another way, would you consider $50 to be an
>outrageous price for a fine quality tool?

That's not the point at all. For one thing, *both* are available, and
CX is free. For another thing, it is wholly intended to be used to
do input handlers in a clean way. Therefore I was saying that if you
want to do input handlers, CX is the right way. Using AREXX for an
input handler just doesn't make any sense at all.

>  Perhaps I am remembering the one article I read on CX badly, but I didn't
>think it was any more than an arbiter of hotkey combinations? Is there
>more? If so, please tell me more about it.

The whole problem is that it isn't well understood. Half the point of
my comments was to remind people that it existed, and to generate some
interest in programmers using it. It's *beautifully* designed and
executed, and it's the perfect tool *for programmers* to use for input
handlers. I'm not prepared to define its scope, but it's quite powerful.

Bringing up AREXX in this context is about as irrelevent as if I
started talking about using Basic...there's simply no connection whatsoever.

>Sounds to me like Peter got caught up in the simplicity and power of
>ARexx, and passed on some of that enthusiasm.

Understandable, yet illogical in this context.

One thing I talked about may be especially unclear: the idea of
creating a "script language" for CX. I didn't think this out in much
detail before saying something, so my comments may have been misleading.
The idea was just to make CX available to more casual use than the
current audience of systems programmers. Upon reflection, it seems
to me that this "script language" might actually be a C-code program
generator (although in a trivial sense).

Anyway, to follow up on this point, it'd be a good idea to check
out CX on Fish 87 first. I need to re-read the docs myself.
	Doug
--

In article ... lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) writes:
>   The only problem with what you say is that I, and probably most people,
> have seen very little of CX. All I ever saw was a 'proposal' sort of thing
> that described the Commodities Exchange, without going into a lot of
> detail, and without any binaries/source/whatever.

It's on a fish disk. What more do you want?

>   Perhaps I am remembering the one article I read on CX badly, but I didn't
> think it was any more than an arbiter of hotkey combinations? Is there
> more? If so, please tell me more about it.

CX is a general arbiter of the Amiga input stream. That includes hotkeys,
macrose, redirected mouse movements, etc...

>   Are you sure it was a knee jerk reaction? Sounds to me like Peter got
> caught up in the simplicity and power of ARexx, and passed on some of that
> enthusiasm.

Power, yes. Sort of. I wish it was a little less text oriented. Simplicity,
no. It's not a simple language. Its main avantage is that it already exists.
Actually, it's about what I expected.
--

In article <5768@cup.portal.com>, doug-merritt@cup.portal.com writes:
> I wrote about creating a script language for Commodities Exchange.

> Peter da Silva replied:
> >AREXX is a decent scripting language. It's not well suited to handling
> >things other than text strings directly, but you can put in a level of
> >abstraction to hide the stuff.

> Hmmm...I didn't use any arguments about technical merit. Ok, consider
> this...what I was talking about for CX doesn't need *any* of the features
> of AREXX. It doesn't need pattern matching, it doesn't need real smart
> IPC control, it doesn't need control structures.

AREXX doesn't have real smart IPC control. It has the ability to send a text
string to a named port, and get a text string in response. But that's
quibbling. It may well be overkill.

> harder than it would be with a simple script language. And it would be
> overkill to boot. CX already supports all of the *functionality* you
> need; it's just that currently you need to tell it what you want via
> a C program. I'm proposing a more human friendly interface, that even
> non-programmers could use, that's all.

Now a general-purpose scripting package is also a good idea. I've been thinking
of Xlisp, but it's pretty big (over 64K). A small forth-like language would be
ideal. A tiny lisp would be better.

Matt Dillon's DME/DTERM stuff is OK, though the lack of variables in DTERM
is a big pain in the neck. Perhaps encapsulating these routines would be a
good idea. Or maybe ripping the interpreter stuff out of Micro-Emacs.

> It's not like you to have knee jerk reactions, Peter. Usually you think
> things out very clearly.

Thanks for saying so. I try.
--
-- Peter da Silva      `-_-'      ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- "Have you hugged your U wolf today?" ...!bellcore!tness1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These may be the official opinions of Hackercorp.

I have a little clock you might like. It's got a little RPN calculator
hidden in it... you select it and hit the space bar. The date vanishes
and you get a little 32-bit integer only calculator display that handles
hex, decimal, and octal. I was tired of all those stupid calculators that
took up all that screen space with a redundant keyboard.

I'd post it to sources, but I think they have enough on their hands right
now. If enough people want a copy I'll do that, otherwise I'll just mail it.