[comp.sys.amiga] Shell Archives

johnk@pro-pac.CTS.COM (John Krause) (05/26/88)

  I don't have access to the command /bin/sh which I am assuming is part of a
UNIX system that I also do not have access. However there have been several
shell archives come across the net that I would like to try out ie. "dmouse".

Is there a program that I can install and run from my Amiga that will allow me
to extract the shell archives once I have ascii captured them to my terminal?

Mahalo (Thank You) and Aloha.
UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-simasd!pro-pac!johnk
U.S. Mail: John C. Krause 92-982 Kanehoa Loop, Ewa Beach, HI 96707

chima@dasys1.UUCP (Chima Ngene) (05/29/88)

In article <3022@crash.cts.com> johnk@pro-pac.CTS.COM (John Krause) writes:

>  I don't have access to the command /bin/sh which I am assuming is part of a
>UNIX system that I also do not have access. However there have been several
>shell archives come across the net that I would like to try out ie. "dmouse".
>
>Is there a program that I can install and run from my Amiga that will allow me
>to extract the shell archives once I have ascii captured them to my terminal?

I'm afraid not, the best you could do is get the amiga version of uuencode &
uudecode (I could e-mail to you if need be).  This will allow you to extract
and create files, unfortunetly this would have to be done one file at a time,
as opposed (sp?) to having all the files in one archive (e.i. shell archive).

uuencode and decode is widely used in the UNIX world, I belive that it is used
to ensure that ^Z, NULL's, etc. are not appended to the end of the file,
amoung other things.

--
     /// Amiga Power User - Mr. Chima Ngene        (chima@dasys1)         ///
    ///  {UNIX, & DOS, ETC} Programmer.....        (Take Your Pick)      ///

juan@gatech.edu (Juan M. Orlandini) (05/30/88)

In article <4683@dasys1.UUCP>, chima@dasys1.UUCP (Chima Ngene) writes:
> In article <3022@crash.cts.com> johnk@pro-pac.CTS.COM (John Krause) writes:
> >
> >  I don't have access to the command /bin/sh which I am assuming is part of a
> >
> >Is there a program that I can install and run from my Amiga that will allo
> >to extract the shell archives once I have ascii captured them to my terminal?
>

> I'm afraid not, the best you could do is get the amiga version of uuencode &

No, no. You *CAN* get a program that will un-shar (shell archive) your captured
file. It is I belive in one of the fish disks. UUdecode and uuencode are also
there. Once I get some time (I am in pre-finals weeks right now), I could
mail you the program.

        //     _______                   //      "Honesty is the best policy
       //         |       __            //       but, insanity is a better
    \\//          | |  | |__| |\ |   \\//        defense."
     \/        |__| |__| |  | | \|    \/

School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
uucp:	...!{decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,rutgers}!gatech!juan
Internet: juan@gatech.edu            BIX: juan

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (05/30/88)

In article <4683@dasys1.UUCP>, chima@dasys1.UUCP (Chima Ngene) writes:
> In article <3022@crash.cts.com> johnk@pro-pac.CTS.COM (John Krause) writes:
> >
> >Is there a program that I can install and run from my Amiga that will allow me
> >to extract the shell archives once I have ascii captured them to my terminal?
>

> I'm afraid not, the best you could do is get the amiga version of uuencode &
> uudecode (I could e-mail to you if need be).

Not so!  Way back on FishDisk #28 there is an (un)shar program for Amy, and
there are a couple of newer ones on Fish #92, as well.  Also, Rich $alz just
posted the sources for a set of tools "to create and unpack shell archives"
in comp.sources.unix, which will also supposedly work on the Amiga (I just
unpacked them, and haven't had a chance to try them out, but I did see some
of Mike Meyer's code in the "dir.amiga" file).

Anyway ... I've been using one version or another of the unshar programs all
the way back to the 1st one.  Most of the time, they work.  Occasionally,
they don't, so you *always* need to take a look at the extracted files to be
sure everything's OK.

Since there are literally hundreds of variations in the exact format of
shar archive files (some of which are pretty damn braindamaged), this kind
of success-rate is about all one can hope for on Amy, I guess.  At least
until you can pick up UNIX(R) [unfortunately SysV instead of BSD] for her ...

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim

ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (Walter Reed) (05/30/88)

In article <4683@dasys1.UUCP> chima@dasys1.UUCP (Chima Ngene) writes:
>In article <3022@crash.cts.com> johnk@pro-pac.CTS.COM (John Krause) writes:
>>  I don't have access to the command /bin/sh which I am assuming is part of a
>>UNIX system that I also do not have access.
>>Is there a program that I can install and run from my Amiga that will allow me
>>to extract the shell archives once I have ascii captured them to my terminal?
>I'm afraid not, the best you could do is get the amiga version of uuencode &
>uudecode (I could e-mail to you if need be).
>     /// Amiga Power User - Mr. Chima Ngene        (chima@dasys1)         ///

PLEASE!!!!!  If you don't know the answer, don't make wild assumptions!

Yes, you will most likely need uudecode (if you want binaries) too.
I hope you captured them to your computer rather than a terminal.
There are 2 unshar programs that I know of for the amiga, one that created
and extracted these archives, and the other that just extracts.
These programs have been out over a year, one is on fish #92.  The one I use
now just extracts whereas the one on disk 92 creates them too.  Use a larger
than normal stack on these programs (I use 20K with no problems.)
--
------  Walter Reed  ------   + uunet!ndsuvax!ncreed or ncreed@ndsuvax.BITNET
"There's no point in being    +      or ncreed%NDSUVAX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

rss@ece-csc.UUCP (Ralph Scherp) (05/30/88)

In a previous article (John Krause) writes:

>  I don't have access to the command /bin/sh which I am assuming is part of a
>UNIX system that I also do not have access. However there have been several
>shell archives come across the net that I would like to try out ie. "dmouse".
>
>Is there a program that I can install and run from my Amiga that will allow me
>to extract the shell archives once I have ascii captured them to my terminal?

Yes there is.  It's called 'unshar' and can be obtained by anonymous ftp
from j.cc.purdue.edu, and probably other places as well (Perhaps I could
email you a copy as a last resort).

            Mark Lanzo
            via ece-csc!rss

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (05/31/88)

In article <4683@dasys1.UUCP>, chima@dasys1.UUCP (Chima Ngene) writes:
> In article <3022@crash.cts.com> johnk@pro-pac.CTS.COM (John Krause) writes:
> >Is there a program that I can install and run from my Amiga that will allow me
> >to extract the shell archives once I have ascii captured them to my terminal?
>
> I'm afraid not, the best you could do is get the amiga version of uuencode &
> uudecode (I could e-mail to you if need be).

There are at least two shell archive programs for the Amiga that I know of.
I wrote one of them.  It's on disk 92 in the Fred Fish library.  It
understands shell archives that use "cat" to write the files.  Craig
Norborg wrote the other one.  It understands "sed" shell archives.  There
are probably quite a few others.  They aren't particularly hard to write.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...gatech!codas!usfvax2!jc3b21!fgd3

jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu (John M. Adams) (06/01/88)

In fact, you can FTP to j.cc.purdue.edu and get the unshar in a binary or
source version.  It's in news/comp.binaries/amiga/volume2 and it's
called unshar.uu.Z  Hope this helps.
--
Internet: jma@beach.cis.ufl.edu                     | John M. Adams        ///
UUCP: {codas|gatech}!uflorida!beach.cis.ufl.edu!jma |   University        ///