[comp.sys.amiga] VirusX+Byte+King of Chicago+WB1.3

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (06/01/88)

I just tried VirusX 1.21 from the net, and it's neat! Easy and safe to
find viruses (SCA and ByteBandit) + other non-standard boot-blocks. And
it does that while you are running another program!

Just one thing: I would like to have the same function while I'm
copying disks. I would prefer a copying program that uses all my
memory (I have 1 floppy + hard disk and 3 meg memory) and gives
the copy the same name as the original (not "Copy of..."). It's not
for copying copy-protected programs.

The problem is that these programs doesn't let VirusX check the disk,
they disable the disk-insertion checking. Since VirusX comes with
C source code, C source code for a PD copying program would be nice
for merging the two together. Anyone know of such? Possible to e-mail?

about Amiga! (Because it's good). The article 'Problems and Pitfalls'
about benchmarks shows Amiga with 68020 card faster than Mac SE with
'20 cards and Mac II in a standard Sieve benchmark. It also shows a
Sieve benchmark with larger array sizes, run 10 iterations. I have
chosen the 40 KB array size:

Amiga with '020:    2.32 sec
VAX 8600       :    2.64
VAX-11/780     :    6.38
Normal Amiga   :   11.50
VAX-11/750     :   13.13
IBM PC AT      :   99.71
IBM PC XT      :  351.50

They ran array sizes up to 160 KB, but only for VAX 8600 and the two Amigas

I have got hold of a WB 1.3 gamma (don't know if it's gamma 5 or what). Are
there any help available on using the new stuff? There was an EpsonX printer
driver that worked with my Seikosha SL80AI (24-pin, slow as hell), but the
graphics was exactly as WB 1.2 epson driver, so I guess it's still only 9-pin
graphics.

Last: King of Chicago. It's un-playable on a one-floppy system (or almost),
but the documentation says that since the second disk is not copy-protected,
this could be copied to a hard disk. I have done exactly as said in the
document (also tried the RAM disk version) but simply nothing happens! I
have a SCSI hard disk (which of course is DH2:, as some programs don't
recognize), but since the RAM disk try gave the same result, something else
must be the problem. Can anyone help ?

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (06/03/88)

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) wrote:
>copying program that uses all my memory ... gives the copy the same name
>as the original (not "Copy of...").  C source code ... would be nice.

You want Dfc by Tom Rokicki.  Available on fish disk #131.  Dfc will
also VERIFY that the data got there, unlike DiskCopy.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page