[comp.sys.amiga] Jerry Pournelle again...

rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) (05/26/88)

     In the latest issue of BYTE, a reader was asking Jerry Pournelle why
he was ignoring the Amiga.  Jerry replied "The fact is that Atari takes
the trouble to see that I get most of the interesting third-party hardware
and software for its machines, and Commodore doesn't."  He also said that
he just got an Amiga 2000, but it is a bare-bones system.  Come on
Commadore!  Send him a 68020 board and a fast hard disk!  This guy has
been using IBM clones for years with a hard disk, how is he supposed to
be impressed with a floppy-based system?  I know the issue of sending
Jerry some systems has been discussed before, but I just think that if
it is going to be done, it should be done now.  It will be the best $4000.00
ever spent for the Amiga.  Both cheaper and better then a magazine ad.

                                       Are you listening Commadore?

Robert Silvers.
Box #1003 University of Lowell.
Lowell Ma, 01854
(617) 452-8823 Rm. 322     "Live free or live in Massachusetts."

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (05/26/88)

In article <7234@swan.ulowell.edu> rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) writes:
>     In the latest issue of BYTE, a reader was asking Jerry Pournelle why
>he was ignoring the Amiga.  ...  He also said that
>he just got an Amiga 2000, but it is a bare-bones system.  ... Come on
>Commadore!  Send him a 68020 board and a fast hard disk!

Don't bother.  I have absolutely no respect for Jerry Pournelle's opinion.
Do you really expect JP to sing Amiga praises in PC/Mac-only rags like Byte,
InfoWorld, and wherever else he send his drivel?  I see no reason to send
him stuff just to stroke his ego.  If he calls the Amiga junk because he
doesn't get enough free stuff, then screw him.  Commodore should send the
goodies to Matt, or Leo, or Fred.

-scott

barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) (05/27/88)

In article <7234@swan.ulowell.edu>, rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) writes:
> he was ignoring the Amiga.  Jerry replied "The fact is that Atari takes
> the trouble to see that I get most of the interesting third-party hardware
> and software for its machines, and Commodore doesn't."  He also said that

I think this sound like payolla to me!!!

Chris.

kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) (05/29/88)

In article <1249@ektools.UUCP> barrett@ektools.UUCP (Chris Barrett) writes:
>In article <7234@swan.ulowell.edu>, rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) writes:
>> he was ignoring the Amiga.  Jerry replied "The fact is that Atari takes
>> the trouble to see that I get most of the interesting third-party hardware
>> and software for its machines, and Commodore doesn't."  He also said that
>
>I think this sound like payolla to me!!!

Not really, Chris.  Jerry Pournell is not a computer heaviweight, but
he has lots of experience, and big audience, and, however we feel
about his treatment of the Amiga, his word carries a lot of weigh with
the buying public.  He isn't getting "payola," he just had to add a
wing to his house to make room for all the computers.  I'm sure what
he needs is more desk space, not more computer hardware.

Jerry is very representative of the user community, however.  If what
you have to show him doesn't work right out of the box, he isn't
happy.  His first impression of the Amiga was AmigaDOS 1.1, which
would never have been released if Commodore weren't in such dire
financial straits that the Amiga had to get out for the company to
survive.  He got a rotten impression, justifiably so, of a machine
whose every other act was "Guru."

Now, his working environment is full of networked, hard disk equipped,
reasonably standard machines (PC-DOS or MS-DOS based), plus a few
outliers, like Atari and Amiga.  Unless the oddball machines have a
lot special to offer, he's not going to spend a lot of time working on
them to get them right; in particular, the Amiga he's working with
better already have working multi-megabyte memory, a working hard disk
easily partitioned and got going from following the documentation
exactly, a nice feeling keyboard, an easy to read screen (Where is his
large format monochrome monitor?  The guy's been crying for easy to
read type for several YEARS, if you want to get on his good side, just
give him a screen he can read!), a bridge card and the fastest best
add on boards available for the PC side, and rock solid operation.

He earns his living writing; I'd be scared to death to have him doing
the kind of "quasi-multitasking" he does on his clone machines with
the Amiga; far too many times I've had a guru take the disk with it.
Can you imagine what his column would look like if he lost a couple of
days work to a disk trash problem on the Amiga?  We're better off if
he just plays games on the box, but if not, give him Word Perfect or
what ever is a very good editor on the Amiga side, make sure his old
friend Write! is on the PC side, make it a monster disk, and see if
you can get a non-dongle version of Superbase or some other good
database for him to keep accounts on, and dump the lot in his lap.

Right now, the Amiga looks like a toy to him; OK, he's a
representative consumer, make sure he has the good games programs, but
also the good professional software, don't make him go looking for it.

The things to notice are 1) every way we fail him, we fail the
consumer market too; 2) every nice word he says about the Amiga
translates directly into sales.  If he were set up with a good enough
system and set of software to really start to get hooked on real
multitasking for his day to day work, he would probably manage to
double the Amiga's sales before he was done, he has that much
influence.  I know his column is the first thing I read in Byte, every
issue, because it is like an ongoing soap opera.

Now, wouldn't it be worth sending someone there with _all_ the
available and soon to be released stuff, to set it up and get it
running _for_ him?  Just to get him to stop slamming the Amiga would
be a big market boost; let him realize what multitasking does for him
(for heaven's sake, get him some of the good PD stuff, with paper docs
of how it works, too; I wish he could try DNET out!) and start telling
the world in his clear, widely read prose, and the Amiga will take off
even faster than it has.

Remember, he just has to fill a certain number of column inches of
prose each month; the latest clone hot key program does that as well
as the latest Amiga feature; he doesn't owe us a fair shake, we have
to earn it and deserve it.

Enough blathering, I hope someone in Commodore marketing notices this
and finds the pearls among the verbiage; I tried to put some in there.

;-)

Kent, the man from xanth.

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (05/30/88)

I think you need to give Mr. Pournelle a little more than
a hard disk to impress him.

Is the Video Toaster and the PVA board ready yet (enough to give one
to Jerry)?

bakken@hrsw2.UUCP (David E. Bakken) (06/03/88)

In article <7234@swan.ulowell.edu>, rsilvers@hawk.ulowell.edu (Robert Silvers) writes:

>                                                            Come on
> Commadore!  Send him a 68020 board and a fast hard disk!

And maybe install the FFS patch for floppys if it is stable enough - he
mentioned somewhere that the floppys were fast.

>                                        Are you listening Commadore?

I hope so - unfortunately Pournelle's influence seems to be inversely
proportional to his grasp of what multitasking and the Amiga in
general can really do for him.

--
Dave Bakken   Boeing Commercial Airplanes		(206) 277-2571
uw-beaver!apcisea!hrsw2!bakken