[comp.sys.amiga] Poll of net tastes

bcoon@tybalt.caltech.edu (Brett W. Coon) (05/19/88)

     Summer is rapidly approaching, and I, like many students, am trying
to decide how I will use my free time to become fabulously wealthy.  The
obvious solution in my mind (besides getting a job, which I have already
done just in case my solution doesn't work out so well) is to write The
Ultimate Program.  The problem, however, is determining what that program
should be.  To help me, and anyone else on the net with a similar dilema,
I have decided to conduct a poll of net readers to see what sort of soft-
ware you would like to see.  If enough people vote ( i.e. more than 10 )
I will post a summary of the results, hopefully sometime very early in
June.  Please EMail your responses, of course.

The question:  If you could pick a program to be developed for the Amiga,
               what would it be?

Suggestions:   Turbo Pascal type compiler for some language
               MathCAD type engineering or graphing program
               A game ( Adventure? Shoot'em Up? ? )

Thanks for your help.
-Brett

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (05/19/88)

What I want is a program that will read my mind and activate the window that
I want to be in. [When I am running TeX, I have about 5 windows and I don't
even use WorkBench]

rokicki@polya.STANFORD.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (05/20/88)

> What I want is a program that will read my mind and activate the window that
> I want to be in.

Precisely.  This is what TI has done with their Explorers; anytime I want
to be in the editor, *bam*, I'm there.

(The fact that my hands are conditioned to hit SYSTEM-E doesn't even flash
into my mind.)

Seriously, though, I would like a hot-key program to be able to do this,
somehow, based on the program name in the CLI, maybe, or maybe the title
bar name, or something.  I consider the SYSTEM key to be one of the
greatest user interface features since the stoplight.

Anytime I have to touch the mouse when doing something that shouldn't
require the mouse (like depth arrangement and activation) I feel like
nuking Xerox PARC.  (Although when I need the mouse, boy am I glad it's
there!)

-tom
--
    /-- Tomas Rokicki         ///  Box 2081  Stanford, CA  94309
   / o  Radical Eye Software ///                  (415) 326-5312

foy@aero.ARPA (Richard Foy) (05/20/88)

In article <6598@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> bcoon@tybalt.caltech.edu (Brett W. Coon) writes:

>to decide how I will use my free time to become fabulously wealthy.  The
>
>The question:  If you could pick a program to be developed for the Amiga,
>               what would it be?
>
>Suggestions:....
>               A game ( Adventure? Shoot'em Up? ?...

A game that would get as many females, of all ages, to want Amigas as now
there are males.

Richard Foy

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (05/20/88)

In article <2856@polya.STANFORD.EDU> rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
>Seriously, though, I would like a hot-key program to be able to do this,
>somehow, based on the program name in the CLI, maybe, or maybe the title
>bar name, or something.  I consider the SYSTEM key to be one of the
>greatest user interface features since the stoplight.

I would, too, but then I run into the problem of
_Too many %##&&!! Hotkeys_!!  I mean, really, f1 is about 93 different
things to me, depending on what program I'm in.  Add a hotkey
application launching program and you just add to the general mess.

So, it's not exactly using the 'system' key, but I'm in the process of
debugging a program that puts a tiny window in the workbench screen,
with a large customizable menu that can start your text editor, or
whatever.  There's room for over 90 menu items, if you want to get
excessive.  The idea is like the MAC Desk Accessory menu--it's always
there, ready for you to lauch an editor, graphics program, game, change
fonts, diskchange df2:, etc.  (And *NO* this is not another "make amy
more like a MAC.  I thought of this program before I ever used a MAC.
So there.)

Only... I keep guruing with a 'memory freed twice' error when I'm
messing with the linked list structures.  I'm following Rob Peck's
example in the April TransAmi as close as I can, as this is my first try
at using the exec list stuff.  The problem is extremely unpredictable.
I'll run it successfully 5 times in a row, and then an H-bomb goes off
in my face leaving no survivors, not even VD0:.  Any suggestions?

Anyway, assuming I can get the memory problems squared away, if there is
interest, I can mail it, or submit it to binaries.

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) (05/24/88)

In article <30712@aero.ARPA> foy@aero.UUCP (Richard Foy) writes:
>In article <6598@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> bcoon@tybalt.caltech.edu (Brett W. Coon) writes:
>>
>>to decide how I will use my free time to become fabulously wealthy.  The
>>
>>The question:  If you could pick a program to be developed for the Amiga,
>>               what would it be?
>>
>>Suggestions:....
>>               A game ( Adventure? Shoot'em Up? ?...
>
>A game that would get as many females, of all ages, to want Amigas as now
>there are males.
>
>Richard Foy

Oh, you mean Hunk-Quest(ntm)?  ;-)

Kent, the man from xanth.

In article <9875@cisunx.UUCP>, ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
> So, it's not exactly using the 'system' key, but I'm in the process of
> debugging a program that puts a tiny window in the workbench screen,
> with a large customizable menu that can start your text editor, or
> whatever...

Browser already does this, with the additional advantage of being able to
pass files to the program you're starting up. Version 1.3 (the freely
redistributable) one only does this for Workbench programs. 1.5 beta 1 (the
one I'm working on for commercial release) does it for CLI too.
--
-- Peter da Silva      `-_-'      ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- "Have you hugged your U wolf today?" ...!bellcore!tness1!sugar!peter

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (06/03/88)

In article <2072@sugar.UUCP>, peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> Browser already does this, with the additional advantage of being able to
> pass files to the program you're starting up. Version 1.3 (the freely
> redistributable) one only does this for Workbench programs. 1.5 beta 1 (the
> one I'm working on for commercial release) does it for CLI too.
I think I started this thread with my pipe dream of Psychic Mouse. So I
will explain my point: I have TeX, Emacs (or TxEd), Previewer and a CLI
all already running. I would like the correct window to come to the front
and get activated. I can do that with my mouse. With DMouse, I have to only
move the mouse a few millimeters, then start typing. There is only one
possible improvement I can think of: Some hot key combination (left Amiga +
numeric keypad key?) that activates the window of the corresponding task.
Browser does something else.