[comp.sys.amiga] SONY Monitor giving problems

brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) (06/01/88)

For those who have responded, I think the problem is
my monitor.   I found this by turning up the contrast to
a high level (which got rid of the problem) and then turning it
back down.  The problem went away when I turned it back down.

On the point of the Denise Chip, what would upgrading this give me?
Is this the one  that controls EXTRAHALFBRIGHT?

thanks
--
Brian Moffet		brianm@sco.com  {uunet,decvax!microsof}!sco!brianm
The opinions expressed are not quite clear and have no relation to my employer.

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (06/03/88)

I have a 500 + 1084. Every once in a while, the display seems to use the
same data for two scan lines. A colon will look like a | with a small
hole in the middle. This is too transient to figure out what is going on.
But occurs at least once every time I turn the machine on.

lfk@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Lynn Kerby) (06/03/88)

In article <557@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:
 >I have a 500 + 1084. Every once in a while, the display seems to use the
 >same data for two scan lines. A colon will look like a | with a small
 >hole in the middle. This is too transient to figure out what is going on.
 >But occurs at least once every time I turn the machine on.

I seem to have just the opposite problem with my 500+1084, and I am
pretty sure it is the monitor's fault.  After I have had my monitor
on for about 15 minutes, one set of scanlines drops out for about
15 minutes.  I leave the 500 on all the time, so the only thing that
has to deal with warm-up is the 1084.  I always run interlace on the
WB screen, and this is a real pain in the *ss (I get half of the display
data and all the flicker - making it just about unusable until it
warms up).

Anyone else out there seen something similar with 1084's?

--
     Lynn Kerby  -  Amdahl Corporation
                    Sunnyvale, CA

Disclaimer: Any and all opinions expressed herein are my own and do not
            necessarily represent the views of anyone, especially my
            employer.

In article <597@viscous> brianm@sco.COM (Brian Moffet) writes:

> For those who have responded, I think the problem is
> my monitor.   I found this by turning up the contrast to
> a high level (which got rid of the problem) and then turning it
> back down.  The problem went away when I turned it back down.

Hmmmm, wouldn't have guessed it from your problem description
but I guess I should be happy it isn't an Amiga problem...  8-)

> On the point of the Denise Chip, what would upgrading this give me?
> Is this the one  that controls EXTRAHALFBRIGHT?

Yep.  Halfbrite is a mode in Denise that says to take the data from
the sixth bit plane and use it to control whether or not the outputs
from the color table are shifted to the left by one bit position.

None of the other chips have a clue that this is happening.  Agnus
is involved only to the extent that it's been told to fetch 6 bit
planes, but that could be either EHB or HAM...

--
George Robbins - now working for,	uucp: {uunet|ihnp4|rutgers}!cbmvax!grr

tsukada@math.rutgers.edu (is here.) (06/04/88)

(4) In article <34140@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> lfk@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Lynn Kerby) writes:

> I seem to have just the opposite problem with my 500+1084, and I am
> pretty sure it is the monitor's fault.  After I have had my monitor
> on for about 15 minutes, one set of scanlines drops out for about
> 15 minutes.  I leave the 500 on all the time, so the only thing that
> has to deal with warm-up is the 1084.  I always run interlace on the
> WB screen, and this is a real pain in the *ss (I get half of the display
> data and all the flicker - making it just about unusable until it
> warms up).
>
> Anyone else out there seen something similar with 1084's?

I have a lemon500 + 1084. (However, I started to like my 500.)
1084 always make strange noises, and it also has the problem (4).
Sometimes the lower half is perfectly Ok, and only the upper half
has the problem of dropping one set of scanlines.

Is it really the problem of 1084 ? or the Denise chip ?

Has anybody had this problem fixed by sending 500 or 1084 to a repair shop ?

H.Tsukada
Dept.Math.
Rurtgers U.