[comp.sys.amiga] BBS's - TAG v. 1.03

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (06/05/88)

alan@hprnlin.rnd.hp (Alan Harrington) writes:

>Version 1.3 of TAG-BBS does not guru during setup.  There is a BBS in
>Sacramento running that version -- 2 months and no problems.  I have
>that version with source code on my BBS.

For clarification:  The most recent version the author of TAG (Patrick Hughes)
did is version 1.03, not 1.3.  I found TAG a little "tricky" to set up the
first time I ran GENERATE, but I don't ever recall GENERATE failing as a guru.
This leads me to suspect that you are doing something wrong rather then there
being something wrong with TAG.  Patrick has referred to TAG in the past as
being a little brain damaged.  HE IS WORKING ON A COMPLETELY NEW TAG NOW, but
in the mean time I am in the "real soon now" mode - which for the Amiga
borders on "despair" for a decent BBS program.  The notion that I have to
upgrade my A1000 to IBM slots to run OLD but superior IBM/Apple software
rather then degenerate to the current stuff the Amiga struggles with sometimes
gives me diarrhea.

That last sentence is a little harsh - change the diarrhea to hiccups please.
:-b

I was running Bilbo's Hideaway using TAG 1.03.  It was not satisfactory for me
because it was to simplistic and prone to losing its mind and hanging or
guruing quite often.  I do not recommend TAG to anyone at the moment, nor do I
keep any of its code laying about here for any Amigite desperate to run a BBS
with anything.

It has been over a month since I spoke to Patrick last.  I will do so again
soon and try to bolster my spirits (and yours) on this matter.

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com
* Sometimes The Dragon Wins! * Still looking for the best Amiga BBS
software to resurrect Bilbo's Hideaway on - but not holding breath!