[comp.sys.amiga] where can I find C++, how much $$?

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Fish-Guts) (05/26/88)

> I remember somewhere back, that someone posted some information regarding
> C++.  Please email an address w/phone if possible.  I would like to
> purchase a copy, if it looks good.
>
>  Shane 'Spin1' Miller  -->  well!unicom!mille_g

     Please post this information.  I sent out a similar request, but
I never received any mail.  I would be surprised if mail *has* been
getting to me at this point, because the mail system around here is
rather flakey.  I am not even sure if my mail is getting sent out of
here to where I want it to go.

     Sorry 'bout increasing the bandwith, but I am *REALLY* interested
in buying a copy of C++.

				-Chris
--
         Chris Lishka            /{seismo|harvard|topaz|...}!uwvax!uwslh!lishka
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene  { lishka%uwslh.uucp@rsch.wisc.edu

lypowy@calgary.UUCP (grepo) (05/27/88)

Check out the latest issue of AmigaWorld.  Lattice is advertising its C++ compiler.
(Sorry, I don't remember the price! :-( )

				Greg.

Arved@cup.portal.com (05/29/88)

In 1067.3.4512.10, Chris asks about the availability and cost of C++ compilers.

I cannot quote price, availability, or exactly where I did see such a compiler
but the latest issue of AmigaWorld carried an advertisement from Lattice fo
C++.  I refer you to them.

I appologize for increasing the noise by an inexperienced USENET User (This is
my first posting!), but Chris DID say he ws having problems with E-mail, and
requested the response posted. . .

- Arved

/* Standard Disclaimer */  Footer under developement.  This space available
Enquire for rates.

ncreed@ndsuvax.UUCP (Walter Reed) (05/30/88)

In article <1635@vaxb.calgary.UUCP> lypowy@calgary.UUCP (grepo) writes:
>Check out the latest issue of AmigaWorld.  Lattice is advertising its C++ compiler.
>(Sorry, I don't remember the price! :-( )
>
>                                Greg.
Well, I called lattice to try and find out when and how much, and the sales
person couldn't give me any information at all.  He claimed that the
advertizing department is overly zealous.  Anyway, I am supposidly on the
mailing list for any info there will be.

Could someone at SAS/Lattice give us any more info?  The ad in AmigaWorld
was terrible.  It was hard to tell if it was a game or a language!  I liked
the part where it said that it was available NOW at a dealer near me.
Is it a compiler, an interpreter, a conversion utility that output's C
or what?  How much does it cost?  What will it come with?  How compatible
is it to other vendors products?  Is it enhanced from the standard?
How about a little info in a full page color ad next time - it makes your
money go a little farther (Hell, you can even use the infamous FINE PRINT!)

Tired of terrible, useless, uninformative ad's,

--
------  Walter Reed  ------   + uunet!ndsuvax!ncreed or ncreed@ndsuvax.BITNET
"There's no point in being    +      or ncreed%NDSUVAX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU

cmcmanis@sun.uucp (Chuck McManis) (05/31/88)

In article <1635@vaxb.calgary.UUCP> lypowy@calgary.UUCP (grepo) writes:
> Check out the latest issue of AmigaWorld.  Lattice is advertising
> its C++ compiler.(Sorry, I don't remember the price! :-( )
>				Greg.

Well hold on to your hat Greg, on BIX Lattice 'announced' the C++ frontend
(takes C++ code and spits out C code) to be available this summer and at
a cost of $500. They reccomend you also get the Lattice C compiler to compile
the code that it produces. :-)

--
--Chuck McManis
These opinions are my own and no one elses. But you knew that, didn't you.

joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) (06/01/88)

In article <6034@cup.portal.com> Arved@cup.portal.com writes:
>In 1067.3.4512.10, Chris asks about the availability and cost of C++ compilers.
>I cannot quote price, availability, or exactly where I did see such a compiler
>but the latest issue of AmigaWorld carried an advertisement from Lattice fo
>C++.  I refer you to them.

If I'm not mistaken, there's a gnu version of C++.  At least the local
machine in town who holds archives has a listing for a bunch of files in
it's "./archives/gnu" directory that are called "C++"blahblahblah.

'Course, it's probably not for the Amiga, but someone could port them.
Heh.  Drop me a line if I can offer more info, but the gnu people would
probably be better at handling this than I.

-Joe
--
UUCP: rutgers!dayton!joe                Dayton Hudson Department Store Company
ATT : (612) 375-3537                    Joe Larson/MIS 1060

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (06/03/88)

In article <5240@dayton.UUCP> joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) writes:
>If I'm not mistaken, there's a gnu version of C++.  At least the local
>machine in town who holds archives has a listing for a bunch of files in
>it's "./archives/gnu" directory that are called "C++"blahblahblah.

It's not very complete just yet from what I understand.

Also it's a large program, the compressed tar file of the distribution
is ~700K.  Plus it requires the GNU CC to run and that guy isn't very
small either.
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy                         <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- s.k.a.: David le casse\*'   {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

johnm@trsvax.UUCP (06/03/88)

>If I'm not mistaken, there's a gnu version of C++.  At least the local
>machine in town who holds archives has a listing for a bunch of files in
>it's "./archives/gnu" directory that are called "C++"blahblahblah.
>
>'Course, it's probably not for the Amiga, but someone could port them.
>Heh.  Drop me a line if I can offer more info, but the gnu people would
>probably be better at handling this than I.

Somebody here at Tandy ported GNU cc to our 68000 based Model 6000's a while
back so it could certainly be done for the Amiga.  The GNU c++ could be done
at the same time and shouldn't take much additional effort.  The only problems
are:

	A) Who the hell has that kind of time?  I sure don't.
	B) Once you've got the ports done what do you do about all the
	necessary include files and libraries to link with (I understand
	that amiga.lib is NOT freely distributable).
	C) Documentation would take additional time.

This is a multi-person project and it will probably need to be started with the
support of at least a mini computer.

As I understand it a good way to start is first compile the compiler and get
it running under a Un*x environment, alter all internal #defines and such so
that it will generate assembly code compatible with one of the assemblers on
the amiga.  Then use this compiler to compile the compiler again (is that
clear :-), the resulting 68000 assembly code should be downloaded to the amiga
and assembled hopefully resulting in a working compiler.  It won't.  That's
the reason for having the mini, so that you can recompile again and again.

root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (root) (06/06/88)

Since I started doing networking for Ameristar, the development
system I have used looks like this:

	Sun "cc" -> Sun "as" -> Sun "ld" -> Ameristar "conv" -> Amiga

Recently I've started switching our stuff to the following system:

	GNU "gcc" -> GNU "as" -> Sun "ld" -> Ameristar "conv" -> Amiga

"conv" is a simple backend that eats Unix a.out format and produces
Amiga hunk format (with optional wack sym tables, etc).

I've found in (some admittedly informal) tests that GCC seems to generate
code better (speedwise) than Sun's own compiler included in SunOS v3.5.
Also, GCC gives one the ability to change the frame pointer from a6 -> a5
(so that a6 need not be saved for lib calls), the option of using
register param passing, inline code, add appropriate peephole optimizations,
etc.  To build Amiga interface libraries, we use a simple processor to
read .fd files and produce library call stubs.  For libraries, I use
a highly modified version of Manx library code (mods done to get better
Berkeley compatibility).  Of course the eventual goal is to start
migrating our stuff over to (GC)C++.

I am not able to release any of the work I've done, but I thought
people would like to know that is it in fact possible to build
a highly functional cross compiler environment using the GNU stuff.

					Rick Spanbauer
					SUNY/Stony Brook
					(& Ameristar)