[comp.sys.amiga] Pioneer Computing 65 meg hard drive $649.95

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (06/05/88)

In article <291@braille.UWO.CDN> rick@braille.UUCP (rick berger) writes:

>I know the subject line of this item is promoting an obvious typing error
>from Pioneer Computing's ad in "COMPUTE!'s Amiga Buyer's Guide", but
>maybe it will get some information flowing about them.

Here's some info, directly from a flyer they sent me.

		20 meg = $659.95	(489.95)
		40 meg = $879.95	(629.95)
		65 meg = $949.95	(739.95)
	       150 meg = ???????	(???.??)

This package contains the drive, SCSI controller, and case.  The
prices in (parentheses) are WITHOUT controller and case.

Average access times for the drives are 65ms, 40ms and 40ms for
the 20, 40, and 65 meg drives.

They also have 10.7meg floppy drives (Konica, I suppose), 10meg
cartridges, and 70 and 150 meg tape backups.  No prices are listed.
Also cables, MIDI cables, switch boxes, and external floppy drives
($159.95 single drive, $329.95 DUAL drive, $144.95 internal floppy
for Amiga 2000).

	Pioneer Computing
	2469 East 7000 South #200
	Salt Lake City, UT  84121
	(801) 942-1174

I have no connection whatsoever with this company.  (Heck, I own
a C.Ltd. hard drive :-)).  I don't know if their products are
great or lousy.  Be a smart buyer!

--
Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP
		barrett@cs.jhu.edu

berry@hor-res.UUCP (No comment) (06/06/88)

In article <291@braille.UWO.CDN>, rick@braille.UWO.CDN (rick berger) writes:

> I know the subject line of this item is promoting an obvious typing error
> from Pioneer Computing's ad in "COMPUTE!'s Amiga Buyer's Guide", but

Unfortuneately the price is not quite the one you quoted. Mine cost me
$870.00 + shipping (I have a A2000 or is that a B2000?). The drive is a Micro-
polis (native SCSI) and it uses a CLTD controller. I have had no problems
with it so far ( I have had it a month ) and anticipate none. The performance
from diskperf is:
    read- 35910 bytes/sec write 17832 b/s.

This is with a buffer size of 512 bytes. Performance goes up linearly
with buffer size ( efficiency does down at the same time ! )

> maybe it will get some information flowing about them. These guy's prices
> are the best I seen for hard drives and their ads are getting bigger

You got that right.

> as time goes on. Unfortunately magazines ads are the only information
> I can get from them, even two months after calling them for product data

I think they are REAL busy filling orders. The phone is ALWAYS busy.
Just keep trying, they were very helpfull over the phone answering ANY
question I had.

> drives? And just in case, if their 65 meg drive is $20.00 less than
> their 20 meg drive would someone please let me "pdq".

prices are as follows: (as far as I know)

20 meg - $659.
40 meg - $879.
65 meg - $949.

these prices include the controller, case, power supply and the cord.
Subtract about $70 to get the bare drive. Unbelieveable huh?

Again - I don't represent these people I am just a satisified
customer.

--
-Steve Berry-
		...!bunny!hor-res!berry