[comp.sys.amiga] CSA '20 slower than normal

ma179aav@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Stephen Hartford) (06/06/88)

In article <4362@killer.UUCP> elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) writes:

>On related topics, has anybody else had a CSA 68020 board for their A-2000
>that made the computer SLOWER than just a plain A-2000? Sure, the one he had,
>had no 32-bit RAM. But still, it shouldn't have been SLOWER than a plain
>68000, especially considering that most instructions complete in fewer
>cycles.

The way the guys from CSA explained it when they were at our SDAUG
meeting was that the '20 must make more memory fetches than a normal
68000 would. Apparently, in some cases, the slower memory fetches
more than negated the faster instructions. So, to really take advantage
of the '20, you need the 32-bit RAM.

--
Stephen Hartford shartford@ucsd.edu
FAUG has the numbers, BADGE has the talent, but we have Monty!