[net.general] Multi-processor Unix

ignatz (08/12/82)

I apologize for putting this on the net, but I got the following message
when I tried to send this directly to Jan:

>From nuucp Thu Aug 12 00:40:00 1982
>From uucp Thu Aug 12 00:37:15 1982 remote from pyuxl

Mail failed (PATH=/bin:/usr/bin;rmail jse ).  Letter returned to sender.
>From ignatz Wed Aug 11 17:38:02 1982 remote from ihuxl
To: pyuxl!jse
Subject: Multi-processor Unix

Jan,
	This is a somewhat oblique hit on your request, but at the 1981
NCC, there was a paper presented under the auspices of AFIPS, entitled
"The design and implementation of a new UNIX kernel", by Charles Crowley
of the University of New Mexico at Albuquerque. This is published in the AFIPS
conference proceedings, volume 50, pp. 265-271.
Specifically, he had rewritten v6 Unix as a message-passing kernel. He claimed
that it worked--albeit more slowly, on a single-processor system, than the
USG v6--and mentioned that one of its applications would be a multi-processor
system. He also indicated in his actual talk that he would be taking the idea
a bit farther, and actually trying a multi-processor configuration.

					Dave Ihnat
					Analysts International Corporation
			(contract site) Bell Telephone Labs
					Naperville (Indian Hill), IL