[comp.sys.amiga] VoiceClock?

youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young) (06/06/88)

In article <31612@aero.ARPA> foy@aero.UUCP (Richard Foy) writes:
>In article <1397@usl-pc.UUCP> jpdres11@usl-pc.UUCP (Randy G. Jouett) writes:
>>
>>active window! I will crank out the code/hack/mega-kludge (take your choice)
>>if the response to this posting is good. So whatcha think?
>
>This is a creative approach to solving a problem with the amiga. I like it.
>
>It seems to me that the narrator has not been used to full advantage. One
>of our main input devices is the spoken word through the ear. I use the
>narrator to remind me, without disturbing the screen, of various things.

Actually, a friend of mine (Bob Beaty) and I wrote a talking clock program
long ago. I originally intended it to be the beginings of a complete reminder
system but that never seemed to get completed. The clock works great though.
It basically speaks the time at regular intervals that the user specifies.
These can be on the quarter, half, or full hour. We basically use it to
remind us of the time while we are working (that way we don't miss any TV
shows). You can also give it a message to speak before it says the time and
give it starting and stopping times so it will be silent late at night (or
whenever you want). All the options are reconfigurable at any time.

It is not the ultimate talking clock but it has served my needs well for the
past year and a half. I never really thought about posting it but since
there seems to interest in this I will. I just moved and am not settled yet
so give me about a week.

There seems to be stuff coming from the binaries and sources group now
so should I send it there or just post it here? It's not that big.

				Bret

usenet:  ihnp4!pur-ee!youngb
ARPA:    youngb@eg.ecn.purdue.edu
UUCP:    youngb@pur-ee.UUCP

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (06/09/88)

In article <8248@pur-ee.UUCP>, youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young) writes:
> In article <31612@aero.ARPA> foy@aero.UUCP (Richard Foy) writes:
> >
> >This is a creative approach to solving a problem with the amiga.
> >
> >It seems to me that the narrator has not been used to full advantage. One
> >of our main input devices is the spoken word through the ear. I use the
> >narrator to remind me, without disturbing the screen, of various things.
>
> Actually, a friend of mine (Bob Beaty) and I wrote a talking clock program
> long ago.

Speaking of creative problem-solving approachs ....

A while back, I posted a small ARexx program that would speak the time.
Use it with AmiCron, and ... poof! ... instant alarm clock.

I recently sent this off the the moderators along with a new revision
of Bob Rethemeyer's bare-bones replacement for say ... "mumble v0.3",
which fixes a few bugs.

Coming RSN to a news.group near you ...

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim