[comp.sys.amiga] 68010 and the 500

jedi@clark-emh.arpa (06/06/88)

I have heard tell that if I got a 68010 chip, I could plug it into my
500 and almost double the speed.  Now, I went through something like that
with my MS-DOS machine and learned that I also had to replace crystals and
re-wire memory.

My question is this.  Is it possible that such a simple solutions could be
true??  If so, please tell me where I may obtain the 68010 chip (mail order)
and a price range.  If not, go ahead and laugh at me for believing (somewhat)
such a wild story.

Thanks

May the FORCE be with you, always

Mike Hampton

Jedi@Clark-EMH.arpa

berry@hor-res.UUCP (No comment) (06/08/88)

In article <2890@louie.udel.EDU>, jedi@clark-emh.arpa writes:

> I have heard tell that if I got a 68010 chip, I could plug it into my
> 500 and almost double the speed.  Now, I went through something like that

I currently run with a 68010 in my 2000. It was previously in my 500.
I know of what I speak (somewhat) since I get paid to design hardware and
such neat stuff. The MOST gain you can get is 10%. That's it, the end, no more
that's all she's got captain - she ain't gotte no moar!

 The 68010 was a bug fix to the 68000 to allow virtual memory stuff to work.
While they were at it they added a 3 word instruction cache, so that tight
(real real real TIGHT - ah that felt good) loops would not execute out of
main memory and eliminate fetch overhead for the opcode.

 I tested my 68010 vrs 68000 using the seive benchmarks with CSI-Multi
Forth, and the results were about 1 second faster for 1000 prime #'s.

 You also have not mentioned compatability between the two, and yes there
is a problem. Most things run on my 68010, I personally have yet to find
anything that does NOT work, but then again I do mostly programming on
my Ami. Games are another story.

> My question is this.  Is it possible that such a simple solutions could be
> true??  If so, please tell me where I may obtain the 68010 chip (mail order)
> and a price range.  If not, go ahead and laugh at me for believing (somewhat)
> such a wild story.

Ha ha. Sorry. Prices are around $45 to $50 mail order. I got mine free,
don't ask how.

> Thanks
>
> May the FORCE be with you, always

May you bear children that look like Yoda. (That is a compliment, NO?)

--
-Steve Berry- ...!bunny!hor-res!berry
"Dare to be gorgeous and unique. But don't ever be cryptic or otherwise

ma179aav@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU (Stephen Hartford) (06/10/88)

In article <333@uwslh.UUCP> lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Fish-Guts) writes:

>     Now, if you are trying to put a 68010 that runs *faster* than
>your current 68000 your are probably in for a big headache (as well as
>rewiring and the works).  There may be kits to do this, although I am
>not the person to ask about this.  Someone else know anything in this area?

Cris Erving, of Aminetics (the guys who did Squeeze RAM, People
Meter, etc.) showed a working 25Mhz 68000 board he's working on at
the Amiga Tech Users Group (in L.A.). He's still finalizing the
design, but claims it will NOT be a kit. Apparently he's "had
enough" with giving customer support on "kits". :-)

--
Stephen Hartford shartford@ucsd.edu, *but only until June 17, 1988,*
This summer at: NewTek, 115 W. Crane St., Topeka, KS 66603 (913) 354-1146

chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) (06/11/88)

In article <4224@sdcc3.ucsd.EDU> ma179aav@sdcc3.ucsd.edu.UUCP (Stephen Hartford) writes:
)
)Cris Erving, of Aminetics (the guys who did Squeeze RAM, People
)Meter, etc.) showed a working 25Mhz 68000 board he's working on at
)the Amiga Tech Users Group (in L.A.). He's still finalizing the
)--
)Stephen Hartford shartford@ucsd.edu, *but only until June 17, 1988,*
)This summer at: NewTek, 115 W. Crane St., Topeka, KS 66603 (913) 354-1146
)San Diego Amiga Users Group, P.O. Box 80186, San Diego, CA 92138-0186

Hey, I know it isn't April Fool's Day anymore, but how can we be sure that
it wasn't a Cray X-MP just mocked up to look like a 25 Mhz 68000 board?
(Dammit, I know I had a smiley-face around here somewhere . . .)

--
- It is better for civilization to be going down the drain than to be  -
- coming up it.                                        -- Henry Allen  -