[comp.sys.amiga] Would you say this in front of a nun ?

In article <107@hrsw2.UUCP> bakken@hrsw2.UUCP (David E. Bakken) writes:

>/* soapbox mode on */
>
>Yeah, if you don't mind supporting a company that has cost our country
>dearly in terms of national security and the money (probably > $billion)
>to counteract it (I'm talking about much quieter propellers for Soviet
>submarines).  I personally won't buy another Toshiba product and will do
>everything within my power to persuade my government, employers, friends,
>and acquaintences to do likewise.
>
>/* soapbox mode off */
>--
>Dave Bakken   Boeing Commercial Airplanes		(206) 277-2571

Yes, but as far as we have been able to tell, nobody has died as the
result of the top coming off of a Toshiba laptop while in operation.

--
                "Live by the lawn dart, die by the lawn dart."
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM           {decwrl!mejac, rutgers!marque}!gryphon!richard

kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) (06/09/88)

In article <4364@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <107@hrsw2.UUCP> bakken@hrsw2.UUCP (David E. Bakken) writes:
>>
>>/* soapbox mode on */
>>
>>Yeah, if you don't mind supporting a company that has cost our country
>>dearly in terms of national security and the money (probably > $billion)
>>to counteract it (I'm talking about much quieter propellers for Soviet
>>submarines).  I personally won't buy another Toshiba product and will do
>>everything within my power to persuade my government, employers, friends,
>>and acquaintences to do likewise.
>>
>>/* soapbox mode off */
>>--
>>Dave Bakken   Boeing Commercial Airplanes		(206) 277-2571
>
>Yes, but as far as we have been able to tell, nobody has died as the
>result of the top coming off of a Toshiba laptop while in operation.

Are you quite sure, Richard?

Let's accept Dave's estimate of $billion as $1,000,000,000.  In terms
of fully burdened employees, $50,000 per year is probably reasonable,
so this is 20,000 work years.  Let's be generous and say everybody
works 50 years (the truth is we are hovering toward 55 as a retirement
age); then that is 400 person-work-lifetimes wasted because those at
Toshiba wanted to make a buck, and didn't care who they hurt doing it.

If the whole result of your lifetime of work is a waste, just making
up for someone else's greed, don't you die a tiny death, Richard?
Perhaps you are not that sensitive a person.

Seems to me I could take the trouble to find an equivalent product
from another company to protest this sabotage; that is not too much to
ask of me compared to depriving the productivity of 400 lives of
meaning.

Thanks to Dave for bringing this to the foreground again.

Kent, the man from xanth.

foy@aero.ARPA (Richard Foy) (06/11/88)

In article <5500@xanth.cs.odu.edu> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>>>Yeah, if you don't mind supporting a company that has cost our country
>>>dearly in terms of national security and the money (probably > $billion)
>>>to counteract it (I'm talking about much quieter propellers for Soviet
>>>submarines).  I personally won't buy another Toshiba product and will do
>>>Dave Bakken
>>..
>>Yes, but as far as we have been able to tell, nobody has died as the
>>result of the top coming off of a Toshiba laptop while in operation.
>>
>Are you quite sure, Richard?
>
>Let's accept Dave's estimate of $billion as $1,000,000,000.  In terms
>age); then that is 400 person-work-lifetimes wasted because those at
>Toshiba wanted to make a buck, and didn't care who they hurt doing it.
>
>If the whole result of your lifetime of work is a waste, just making
>up for someone else's greed, don't you die a tiny death, Richard?
>Perhaps you are not that sensitive a person.
>Kent, the man from xanth.

From another viewpoint one could say that the people hours it saved
for those who work in the Soviet Union must have been much greater
(they are noted to be much less efficeant than us) than the people
hours it cost here.

Perhaps people in the Soviet Union are not as valuable as people here.
If so we might forget about trying to improve human rights there etc.
etc.

To me human relations are always very complex. After President Reagan's
Moscow summit, it seems to me that international relations are getting
even more complex and unfathonable.
     /|\

The above opinions are all my own.
Richard Foy

learn@igloo.UUCP (william vajk) (06/11/88)

In article <5500@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

* then that is 400 person-work-lifetimes wasted because those at
* Toshiba wanted to make a buck, and didn't care who they hurt doing it.

* Seems to me I could take the trouble to find an equivalent product
* from another company to protest this sabotage; that is not too much to
* ask of me compared to depriving the productivity of 400 lives of
* meaning.

My my, 400 lifetimes of work wasted ? Are these all one type ? Are
these people willing to waste their life's work anyway, so long as
they get paid, or are we discussing eager beaver types, who insist
on making a contribution to society, maybe as a Jesuit, or being
the best damn floor mopper in the McDonalds family of legendary
restaurants.

Besides, just who are you to decide how many Americans are gonna be
permitted to waste their lives ? Didn't I see you working in the
Edsel Division ?

Bill Vajk                                                  learn@igloo