[comp.sys.amiga] NEC P2200

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (06/08/88)

Geee Matt, the NEC P2200 I have has very similar features.  'cept
the resolution is 360 by 360 instead of 360 by 180.  I haven't gotten
around to doing anything with it other than use it as a dumb printer
so I don't know how well it does anything.  I'll post a review if/once
I ever get around to doing it.

I *would* be interested in seeing your program and looking into porting
it to my printer.
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy                         <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- s.k.a.: David le casse\*'   {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (06/09/88)

In article <9591@g.ms.uky.edu>, david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
> Geee Matt, the NEC P2200 I have has very similar features.  'cept
> the resolution is 360 by 360 instead of 360 by 180.
The dvi->dotmatrix driver of almost everybody for the Epson-like 24-pin
printers use 180x180 resolution. The pin diameter of these printers is 0.2mm,
for 127 pins in 1inch. [the 180 dpi gets the dots overlapping just enough].
So what is this 360x180 and 360x360 dpi? Is the printout really better than
laser printers at 300dpi? Or is it just overprinting that distorts the
grphics?

NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) (06/10/88)

I have a NEC P2200 also, I have to agree with the comments concerning
text output. It is true what has been asserted concerning graphic
output. I am using Preferences 1.3 (robbed off of my ProWrite disk),
and when I set Density to "7" on screen 2 of the graphic select,
contrast is bad. Everything comes out too dark, and details are lost.
This is even with Density set at "1" on screen 1.  If I set screen 2
settings at a lower number (4), things look better, but at a lower
resolution. I am using the ELQ driver supplied, which may be part of
my problem. Anyone have a real NEC P2200 driver?
 Hal Meeks
 netoprhm@ncsuvm.bitnet          "I'm doomed! Doomed to live!"
 hgm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu             --Gomez Addams

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (06/11/88)

In article <6359@cup.portal.com|, doug-merritt@cup.portal.com writes:

| When people say the LaserWriter's resolution is 300dpi, they mean
| exactly that...the dots are narrow enough such that each one is
| 1/300th of an inch wide.
|
| When inexpensive printer manufacturers say their resolution is 360dpi,
| what they mean is that the printer can move the carriage 1/360th of an
| inch, but the dot width is larger than that. They intentionally confuse
| the issue to increase sales.

I just saw the output of an Imagewriter II at 144dpi (sic) doing TeX.
Yech! The user was upset and tried to use 'courier' (some mac specific
typewriter font). The socalled resolutions can be compared only if you
stick to the printers builtin fonts. If you want any thing else, ask for
the pin diameter. If the dealer doesn't know, skip it.

:
:When inexpensive printer manufacturers say their resolution is 360dpi,
:what they mean is that the printer can move the carriage 1/360th of an
:inch, but the dot width is larger than that. They intentionally confuse
:the issue to increase sales.
:
:Their motivation is understandable, but caveat emptor! Microspacing
:printers emphatically do *not* produce output of the quality of the
:LaserWriter (or even of the Deskjet, for that matter).

	Right, it's a given.  But within the class of dot matrix printers
comparisons based on such numbers are generally reliable.

					-Matt