[comp.sys.amiga] DMouse oddity

u-jmolse%sunset.utah.edu@utah-gr.UUCP (John M. Olsen) (06/05/88)

I found something odd when dmouse is run.  If you only have one screen and
are dragging it down and press the right button (the command to push a
screen back) and then let it back up without releasing the left button,
the screen will not drag back up beyond that point without releasing and
re-pressing (Help, help!  We're being repressed!) the left button to drag
the screen again.  Is this necessary, or just a side effect of the coding?

It doesn't seem to hurt anything, but I was curious as to exactly what is
going through Ami's mind.
 /|  |     /|||  /\|		|	John M. Olsen
 \|()|\|\_  |||. \/|/)@|\_	|	1547 Jamestown Drive
u-jmolse@ug.utah.edu	or  ...!ihnp4!utah-cs!utah-ug!u-jmolse

>I found something odd when dmouse is run.  If you only have one screen and
>are dragging it down and press the right button (the command to push a
>screen back) and then let it back up without releasing the left button,
>the screen will not drag back up beyond that point without releasing and
>re-pressing (Help, help!  We're being repressed!) the left button to drag
>the screen again.  Is this necessary, or just a side effect of the coding?
>
>It doesn't seem to hurt anything, but I was curious as to exactly what is
>going through Ami's mind.
> /|  |     /|||  /\|		|	John M. Olsen
> \|()|\|\_  |||. \/|/)@|\_	|	1547 Jamestown Drive
>  |				|	Salt Lake City, UT  84121-2051
>u-jmolse@ug.utah.edu	or  ...!ihnp4!utah-cs!utah-ug!u-jmolse

	Yow.  Strange.

	By the way, before people start mailing me, I intend to add one
major improvement in the next release, as was suggested to me.  I will
check to see if layers are locked, and if so, not execute WhichLayer()
etc...  I've found that when the Amiga is really loaded down, the input
device sometimes looses characters due to not getting through the event
stream fast enough.  This should also fix the mouse jerkyness that occurs in
a loaded system.

					-Matt

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (06/11/88)

In article <997@unccvax.UUCP>, fwp@unccvax.UUCP (Rick Pasotto) writes:

> 	One change I would like to see to DMouse is for the sunmouse
> to be activated only after a mouse movement.

If this is to go into dmouse, I hope it is an selectable option, as I
really like not having to move the mouse for the window to be activated.
Most of the time it's correct.

>                                               What is annoying me is
> that the considerate programmer has put up a file requester or whatever
> and has activated the gadget.  Only now my mouse (which is invisible)
> doesn't happen to be in the area of the requester so it immediately
> gets de-selected and several keystrokes have gone to the wrong window
> before I realize the situation.  I'm surprised no one has mentioned this
> before, but then maybe I'm the only one with the problem :-).

No, you're not the only one.  I reported the problem with requesters to Matt
right after I started using dmouse (v1.03).  The solution is to find out if
any autoactivated string gadgets are "open" though, before activating the
window the mouse pointer is over (and if so, blow-off the window activation);
NOT to require the user to move the mouse!

I really bugs me too, and is my only *real* complaint with dmouse!

BTW, I find that it's about a 50-50 proposition as to whether the requester's
string gadget stays activated, or the window becomes activated (at least with
VT100's various filename/dirname/etc. requesters.  I.e., there is some kind of
S/W race condition ... sometimes the requester wins, and sometimes the window
wins (and sometimes the Dragon wins, too ... :-) ).  It's the requester
that *should* win ... always (?)

Anyhow ... Matt said he'd look into it (Matt ?)

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim

:
:	One change I would like to see to DMouse is for the sunmouse
:to be activated only after a mouse movement.  What is annoying me is
:that the considerate programmer has put up a file requester or whatever
:and has activated the gadget.  Only now my mouse (which is invisible)
:doesn't happen to be in the area of the requester so it immediately
:gets de-selected and several keystrokes have gone to the wrong window
:before I realize the situation.  I'm surprised no one has mentioned this
:before, but then maybe I'm the only one with the problem :-).
:
:Rick Pasotto
:mcnc!unccvax!fwp

	Arrgg!!!  This was done on purpose as a feature, but I get 'caught'
by it also.  Ok, will add switch selectable keyboard-activates-window.  The
other thing that gets me sometimes is when I menu-select something but have
to go *through* a window getting from windowA to the menu bar...

				-Matt