[comp.sys.amiga] Nameclashing in Lattice 4.0.. ARGH!

In article <719@kuling.UUCP> jonasf@kuling.UUCP (Jonas Flygare) writes:
>> In the file sym.c there was a hash-table pointer named "table"..
>
>Darn! I meant "entry"...

	If you read K&R, it specifies that the identifier "entry" is reserved,
though as far as I know there has never been a definition as to what it should
do.  So Lattice is correct in flagging it as incorrect.

Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|ihnp4|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

bts@sas.UUCP (Brian T. Schellenberger) (06/11/88)

In article <719@kuling.UUCP> jonasf@kuling.UUCP (Jonas Flygare) writes
about problems using a variable called "entry."

The original K&R document "entry" as a reserved word (p. 180, section 2.3);
if it breaks, you have no grounds for complaint.
--
--Brian,                     _______________________ __________________________
  the man from              |Brian T. Schellenberger| ...!mcnc!rti!sas!bts     |

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (06/11/88)

> *Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.amiga: 9-Jun-88 Re: Nameclashing in Lattice..*
> *Randell Jesup@cbmvax.UUC (458)*

> >Darn! I meant "entry"...

>       If you read K&R, it specifies that the identifier "entry" is reserved,
> though as far as I know there has never been a definition as to what it should
> do.  So Lattice is correct in flagging it as incorrect.

If Lattice is trying to be ANSI-compatible, it is incorrect in flagging it as
incorrect.  From Kernighan and Ritchie, Second Edition, page 259:

        "New keywords (void, const, volatile, signed, enum) are
         introduced.  The stillborn entry keyword is withdrawn."

The new K&R is written around draft-proposed ANSI, and it is a step up from the
old book.

                        --M

Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu                     BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

"if you ain't ill it'll fix your car"

jbwaters@bsu-cs.UUCP (J. Brian Waters) (06/11/88)

In article <538@sas.UUCP>, bts@sas.UUCP (Brian T. Schellenberger) writes:
> In article <719@kuling.UUCP> jonasf@kuling.UUCP (Jonas Flygare) writes
> about problems using a variable called "entry."
>
> The original K&R document "entry" as a reserved word (p. 180, section 2.3);
> if it breaks, you have no grounds for complaint.

In the new K&R (p. 192, section A2.4 Keywords) says that entry was formerly
reserved but never used and is now no longer reserved.

--
Brian Waters              <backbone>!---\
                                   ihnp4!{iuvax|pur-ee}!bsu-cs!jbwaters