[comp.sys.amiga] Using the SER: device

hutch@net1.ucsd.edu (Jim Hutchison) (06/13/88)

In article <733@csm9a.UUCP> ngorelic@csm9a.UUCP (Noel Gorelick) writes:
>[...]                                 When I ran it while my modem
>was connected, it ran fine, but when I hooked up my dumb-terminal,
>it just sat there. (I also tried several tele-comm packages
>with a clone and still got nothing)
>
>then I tried to type to the serial port while the dumb-terminal was
>connected, and I still got nothing.

This computer problem has gotten me several times, probably because
I still treat hardware like tinker-toys, no matter.

The key word is "modem".  You need to insert a null-modem into the
path between your serial port and your terminal.  Otherwise they
have this awareness problem... :-)

/*    Jim Hutchison   		UUCP:	{dcdwest,ucbvax}!cs!net1!hutch
		    		ARPA:	Hutch@net1.ucsd.edu
Disclaimer:  The cat agreed that it would be o.k. to say these things.  */