[comp.sys.amiga] I wanna be a leaf too

In article <1542@edison.GE.COM> mfs@edison.GE.COM writes:
>Hey, bop@edison is out of town; how about youse UUCP experts sending me some
>mail on becoming a News and Mail node.  I've got an Amiga 500 too.

The next question you ask yourself, "Do I have 30 - 60 megabytes of disk
space to spare for news?" You say, "Oh I just want to get comp.sys.amiga
and a couple of other groups." Then the answer is "Oh you only need 20
to 40 megabytes of hard disk *with nothing else on it*" This is not to
discourage anyone, just to let them understand that you *must* have a
hard disk to receive news, period.

>Specifics:  What software do I need (besides UUCP) and where do I get it ?
	You will need compress (16 bits, which implys > 2Meg of RAM) and
	either tar or tarsplit to break the news up into it's individual
	parts. Both of these are available on Fish Disks. Then you will
	need something that does what inews does (eg put the articles in
	the appropriate directories, queue articles you post to be sent
	out, etc) This you will have to write yourself or whack on whats
	on the uupc disk. Then you will need a 'front end' either an rn
	clone (or rn if you want to port it) and some sort of mail clone.

>            How do I use the software once I get it ?
	Beyond the scope of a net news message. Join news.admin and ask
	their whats involved.

>            What do I need to tell the guy giving me a feed ?
	Your phone number, your system name, and a password he can use
	to login with. You will also want to tell him how often to call
	you up. If it is a toll call he will ask you to call him instead
	and give you similar information.

>            What is actually happening; theory behind this stuff.
	The front end, rn, is giving your articles to inews to post on
	your system and to collect for out bound distribution. When you
	and your feed connect the next time, rnews will tar and compress
	those outgoing messages and send them to the feed, the feed will
	send over a bunch of tar'd and compressed articles. (These both
	use the UUCP protocols) then rnews will untar and unbatch the
	articles and give them to inews to put into the appropriate
	directories.

>            How do I let the outside world know where I am (Mail-wise) ?
	your mail path would become ...!feed!yoursystem in Usenet lingo.
	You would also send a mail message to Eric Fair at berkeley to
	put your system into the Usenet map and assure you that your
	system name doesn't collide with another machine name.

>If it seems I don't know anything about this; you're right!  Please,
>some kind soul enlighten me.

If it seems like this is not a straight forward thing to implement; you're
right! The only system that you will be able to send and receive news on
will be a 2.5-3M system with 20 - 120Meg of disk space. The news is running
at about 30Meg a week these days so you can calculate about how much disk
space you need using the formula (30Meg * weeks_left_online) + 10Meg.

>Thanks,
>Martin

Your welcome.

--Chuck McManis

doug-merritt@cup.portal.com (06/12/88)

Chuck McManis wrote an excellent article about what one needs to do
in order to run news, chock full of handy hints.

He also said:
>You say, "Oh I just want to get comp.sys.amiga
>and a couple of other groups." Then the answer is "Oh you only need 20
>to 40 megabytes of hard disk *with nothing else on it*" This is not to
>discourage anyone, just to let them understand that you *must* have a
>hard disk to receive news, period.

This is the *right* way to do it. That's not to say that a determined
person cannot have a floppy-based Amiga as a net leaf. It's just that
there would be continual nuisances involved. You would probably have to
put two fresh diskettes in your drives every day (or night), so that your
limited newsfeed would have 1.76 meg (880K x 2) to work with. That's enough
for at least a *few* groups per day, like, say, all of the Amiga newsgroups.

There might be times when it wasn't enough, and you might have to receive the
remainder the next day with new floppies, etc. A pain.
But then again, maybe not...I think that the average daily traffic for a
full feed is around 5 megabytes per day (up from 3 megabytes not long ago). So
1.7 meg is a large percentage. I haven't figured it out, but it *might* even
be enough for comp.* (excluding non-Amiga binaries), sci.* and news.*.

Don't forget, by the way, that every site should receive news.announce.
newusers, which has zero traffic except at the start of the month, when
it has a bunch all at once. You also may want some of the net administration
newsgroups. These "extra" but important groups contribute to the load.

Of course, the news programs themselves will subtract from the 1.76Meg
total.

There's a series of documents written about the net that you will want.
One set is the one that appears monthly in news.announce.newusers. Another
is the set that is distributed with 'rn'; they give lots of info that
will be useful to anyone who is trying to do a non-rn news system.
	Doug
--
      Doug Merritt        ucbvax!sun.com!cup.portal.com!doug-merritt
                      or  ucbvax!eris!doug (doug@eris.berkeley.edu)

pete_ashdown@pedro.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) (06/14/88)

In article <55774@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) types about:
>In article <1542@edison.GE.COM> mfs@edison.GE.COM writes:
>>Hey, bop@edison is out of town; how about youse UUCP experts sending me some
>>mail on becoming a News and Mail node.  I've got an Amiga 500 too.

>The next question you ask yourself, "Do I have 30 - 60 megabytes of disk
>space to spare for news?" You say, "Oh I just want to get comp.sys.amiga
>and a couple of other groups." Then the answer is "Oh you only need 20
>to 40 megabytes of hard disk *with nothing else on it*" This is not to
>discourage anyone, just to let them understand that you *must* have a
>hard disk to receive news, period.

Chuck! Chuck! Chuck!  I have been receiving news and mail on my Amiga for the
past month.  Right now, I receive comp.sys.all on a daily basis.  So far, a
half-full (or is it half-empty :-)) Amiga disk has been sufficient.  Although
there have been times that I wish I had a hard disk for this, it isn't an
impossible dream.  Once I adapt my Shell207 scripts to use the second drive
and the RAM: disk, I think I'll be ready to accept about 10 more newsgroups.
That is about all the average user wants anyway (isn't it?).

>>Specifics:  What software do I need (besides UUCP) and where do I get it ?

Martin, once I have the scripts perfected, I'll send you a mailer package
with everything you need.  The only thing you won't be able to do is post
news.  What I do in this case is save the messages I want to respond to, edit
them RAM: (or VD0:, whatever), call them sys.amiga1, sys.amiga2, sys.st1, etc.
and call pedro and upload them to the appropriate group.  It is more of a
fault of pedro than of Amiga UUPC that you can not post news, so we hope to
have a solution in the future.  I put you on the list of people who want this
package.  Here's a hint though.  If you aren't using Shell207M, START!!

>>            How do I use the software once I get it ?

I'll put some documentation in with it.  It is relatively easy, once you get
the hang of it.

>>If it seems I don't know anything about this; you're right!  Please,
>>some kind soul enlighten me.

That's OK, you aren't alone.

>If it seems like this is not a straight forward thing to implement; you're
>right! The only system that you will be able to send and receive news on
>will be a 2.5-3M system with 20 - 120Meg of disk space. The news is running
>at about 30Meg a week these days so you can calculate about how much disk
>space you need using the formula (30Meg * weeks_left_online) + 10Meg.

"slack" = 1.5M system with two disk drives, never say "never," Chuck.  If
anyone needs more info or wants to be put on the mailing list of the
UUPC/Shell system, send me mail.
--
\  "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm  /
/    (^:      preaching to."  - J.R. "Bob" Dobbs in Newsweek        :^)    \