[comp.sys.amiga] COMPUTERS IN HOME BUSINESSES

logden@tc.fluke.COM (Leonard Ogden) (06/02/88)

My wife and I were kicking around the idea of buying a Amiga the other day. We
thought that a 500, with extra memory, a good desktop publishing program, good
wordprocessor, and ink jet/laser printer, would be a nice system to have (most
of our needs are for the printed word).

Anyway, this darling woman that I married said " If I could only think of
someway to earn $40 - $50 a month with the Amiga we could get it tomorrow."

"Really?", I said, "let me think about it."

So you Amigatroids, how can I realistically find a job for my wife to do
around the house using such a system?

What do you do with your systems (aside from great graphic hacks, Leo)?

Any recommendations? My wife is fulltime mom to our 3 (count 'em folks, yes
that's 3) wonderfull preschool children, and therefore stays home. She does
have excellent typing skills, and has used a C64 with GEOS, and several other
wordprocessors, so she's not frightened of computers.

Well my system is hanging by your input. Let me have it!

Thanks,

Logden

guardian@otishq.UUCP (Harry Skelton) (06/03/88)

If you wife had three kids to chase after, it would seem that she would
not have the time to do business.  I would recommend that she makes a
resume and a cover letter outlining what she can do.  Ship it off to a
software house or some sort of software consulting firm, and she could
get into doing documentation and the like.  Other things are graphics
editing (good choice with this type of system), communications (Yes Toto,
it can be done..), and general services of making posters for fairs and
local events.

My wife does some proof reading and editing on a PC (**GASP**) and makes
a buck or fifty off of it.

Keep an open mind and a closed check book....8^)..
 _     _                                           ___
|__|_||_||__  ||__|_|/_____// __//____//____//____/ ..!daitc!otishq!highspeed
        |_____|            /_/  "Hello Computer!"

lauren@cbmvax.UUCP (Lauren Brown CATS) (06/03/88)

In article <3933@fluke.COM> logden@tc.fluke.COM (Leonard Ogden) writes:

>So you Amigatroids, how can I realistically find a job for my wife to do
>around the house using such a system?

You might want to look into desktop publishing. While it will require an
investment into a laser printer (most probably postscript compatible),
the income can repay the investment over time.

Organizations to pitch to: anyone doing a newsletter (schools, churches)
restaurants (for menus), small advertisers (although most newspapers do
this for minimal charge). Also, sales organizations have a need for
someone to organize/layout presentations.

One thought to keep in mind is training. Regardless of the avenue your
wife may choose to pursue, she will not have an income for a while. It
will take time (twice as much as you plan :-) to learn the application(s)
and to find customers. The first few assignments will take FOREVER to
complete; throwing in the towel will seem like a reasonably good idea.
But take courage - it does get easier. Honest:-)
Lauren Brown      -- CBM   >>Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,caip,ihnp4,seismo}!cbmvax!lauren
                     PHONE 215-431-9100

mike@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Mike Smithwick) (06/14/88)

In article <3933@fluke.COM> logden@tc.fluke.COM (Leonard Ogden) writes:

>Anyway, this darling woman that I married said " If I could only think of
>someway to earn $40 - $50 a month with the Amiga we could get it tomorrow."

>So you Amigatroids, how can I realistically find a job for my wife to do
>around the house using such a system?
[stuff deleted about wife being a good typist]

How 'bout a typing service?? Do resumes or term papers for local college
students at about 5 to 6 bucks a page. With a laser printer or ink jet,
I'm sure that you'll have plenty of customers.

*** mike ***

--
			   *** mike (starship janitor) smithwick ***
"Being a dwarf does have it's shortcomings"