[comp.sys.amiga] BACKBONES BEING WITHDRAWN BY AT&T

lgreen@pnet01.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) (06/13/88)

Folks, we got a BIG problem!!!!

In another news group, our lovable phone corporation (AT&T) has announced they
will NO LONGER ALLOW THIRD PARTY ROUTING through their backbones (i.e, ihnp4,
cbosgd and att). I believe these are MAJOR backbone sites!!

This disconnection will occur sometime in July (I think!!). We're gonna have
a real problem if we cannot get other sites to allow our data feeds.

AT&T says they no longer want to pay for our mailings and routings. Only stuff
pertinent to AT&T business will be allowed through these backbones.

Please don't flame me for the inexactness of the cutoff date (I just honestly
don't recall it). This is NO JOKE, I believe the posting is genuine.

Larry Greenwald

UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!lgreen
ARPA: crash!pnet01!lgreen@nosc.mil
INET: lgreen@pnet01.cts.com
SNAIL:4545 Collwood Blvd, #52  San Diego, CA 92115
"I'm lookin over a three-leaf clover that I overlooked be-three"  -Bugs Bunny

In article <3113@crash.cts.com> lgreen@pnet01.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) writes:
>Folks, we got a BIG problem!!!!

No we don't.

>In another news group, our lovable phone corporation (AT&T) has announced they
>will NO LONGER ALLOW THIRD PARTY ROUTING through their backbones (i.e, ihnp4,
>cbosgd and att). I believe these are MAJOR backbone sites!!

We, uh, well, he, ran pathalias on 10,000 paths after removing the big AT&T
machines. 97 were affected, mostly ohio paths going through cbosgwhatever.

Chinet may have a problem with news, but the ramifications are probably
going to be less than you would think.

At any rate, this has as pertinent to comp.sys.amiga as it is to
rec.birds, so take it up in news.* or alt.flame OK ??

--
                      Buy Toshiba submarines
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM           {decwrl!mejac, rutgers!marque}!gryphon!richard

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (06/14/88)

In article <3113@crash.cts.com> lgreen@pnet01.UUCP writes:

>In another news group, our lovable phone corporation (AT&T) has announced they
>will NO LONGER ALLOW THIRD PARTY ROUTING through their backbones (i.e, ihnp4,
>cbosgd and att). I believe these are MAJOR backbone sites!!

The message I saw referred explicitly to MAIL routing.  It was not clear
that Usenet news forwarding would be directly affected.  I would assume not.

--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ucbvax,mcnc,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."