[comp.sys.amiga] Byte is rubbish - the Archimedes sure ain't !

sqrkl@csvax.liv.ac.uk (06/03/88)

I think all Amiga (or any other innovative machine) owners should stop buying
Byte now !!!! I stopped in about October 1987, because it was clear that Byte
was licking up to IBM PCs and clones in the extreme.
   There's still a little on the Macintosh (that's only because it's the
number 2 business machine in the USA, not because it's revolutionary, God
forbid) and virtually nothing about what's happening here in the UK - which
appears to be a lot more exciting than OS/2 or UN*X or yet another boring
spreadsheet review.
   Witness the Acorn Archimedes. A 4 MIPS (30% faster than a crummy Compaq
Deskpro 386 or a Mac II) RISC processor machine with an admittedly single-
tasking OS (mult-tasking promised in about a year), an interpreted BASIC
which looks like Pascal and runs FASTER than compiled Macintosh Turbo Pascal !
And you can buy the base model for about 800 pounds sterling (1500 dollars).
Available now : ANSI C, Fortran, Pascal, Prolog, Lisp, Assembler (built into
the BASIC), BASIC (this is superb, honest), MSDOS emulator (.8 speed of PC),
Zarch (better than ANY Amiga game), hard disk that is the fastest I've ever
seen, supports up to a 1024 * 1024 res if you attach a hi-res mono monitor,
8-channel stereo sound, 240 bytes of CMOS battery-backed RAM used for config-
uration, a battery-backed real-time clock and a DOS that is much much faster
than AmigaDROSS.
   Oh, but what a shame ! You can't buy the Archimedes in the USA. Sorry -
you didn't like the BBC Micro much (which ran the world's fastest 8-bit
interpreted BASIC and was/is still the best 8-bit machine I have ever seen...
it made the Apple II look like a Mickey Mouse machine - which it is), so you'll
probably hate the Archimedes - the reason being that you wish an American
company could have brought out such a brilliant machine....
   Sorry to harp on about this, but I thought you might like to know what
all you American net people (and Byte !) have been missing in the last 6
months or so...

Richard K. Lloyd,       ****** This is a VAX 11/780 running VAX/VMS V4.5 ******
Computer Science Dept., * JANET     : SQRKL@UK.AC.LIV.CSVAX                   *
Liverpool University,   * UUCP      : {backbone}!mcvax!ukc!mupsy!liv-cs!SQRKL *
Merseyside, England,    * Internet  : SQRKL%csvax.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu   *
Great Britain.          *******************************************************

"My opinions and those of the University of Liverpool are completely unrelated,
so I'M THE CULPRIT if you feel offended by the above message - I just can't
help moaning about Atari STs, PCs or clones, U**X, C, IBM mainframes, the list
is endless..."

Tri-Soul@cup.portal.com (06/08/88)

    And I thought the English never got ruffled by anything...

    so goes another stereotype..

perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) (06/13/88)

In article <2398@csvax.liv.ac.uk> sqrkl@csvax.liv.ac.uk writes:
>	<comments about the Archimedes>
>Richard K. Lloyd,       ****** This is a VAX 11/780 running VAX/VMS V4.5 ******
>Merseyside, England,    * Internet  : SQRKL%csvax.liv.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu   *
>Great Britain.          *******************************************************

When the Archimedes was announced I made every effort to establish contact
with Acorn for the purpose of getting a development system (and of course,
to develop products for the machine).

But Nooooo...Acorn was entirely disinterested.

My desire to work  with  the machine still remains though, Richard. If you
can get someone at Acorn  to express any REAL desire to foster development
in the US (even though the machine  may not be available here as yet) then
have'em give  me a call.  Until then, you  might consider keeping the ``my
computer is better  than your computer'' b.s. off the net. (basically, put
up or shut up (Acorn that is, not you)).

Cheers,

Perry Kivolowitz
ASDG Incorporated

Opinions expressed herein were. Those that weren't. Well, they were too.
Have YOU seen CubeMaster?

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (06/15/88)

In article <573@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:
>(Changing the subject quickly he said)
>I heard about a RISC chip that is (source? machine?) code compatible with
>the 68000. [No that is not the 88000]. What is the low down on that?
>If it is better than 68030, may be that is what should go into the Amiga 3000.

Maybe it's BASIC is compatible with Amiga BASIC :-)

A Reduced Instruction-Set chip machine-code compatible with a 68000 ??

Sounds weird!

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (06/16/88)

in article <6260@well.UUCP>, perry@well.UUCP (Perry S. Kivolowitz) says:
> In article <2398@csvax.liv.ac.uk> sqrkl@csvax.liv.ac.uk writes:
>>	<comments about the Archimedes>

> When the Archimedes was announced I made every effort to establish contact
> with Acorn for the purpose of getting a development system (and of course,
> to develop products for the machine).

Sounds like Acorn is trying really hard not to sell these machines.  Or at
least they aren't keeping the folks at VLSI Logic, makers of the ARM chips,
happy, as these guys are now trying to push ARM into the rather
competitive integrated controller market.  Up against the latest wonder
chips from Motorola, Intel, Zilog, and AMD, it should be interesting to
see if they do well.  If they did well, it might even get some good
publicity for Acorn, if they're interested....

> Perry Kivolowitz
> ASDG Incorporated

> Opinions expressed herein were. Those that weren't. Well, they were too.
> Have YOU seen CubeMaster?

		^^^^^^^^^
		   Yup.

--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy