[comp.sys.amiga] The sad state of Amiga telecomm

mclek@dcatla.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) (06/16/88)

In article <313@pedro.UUCP> pete_ashdown@pedro.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) writes:
>....  What I would like to shoot for is
>something my little sister could use.  I tried to introduce her to the world
>of telecommunications, but she couldn't grip it at all.  Sadly this is the
>case for 75% of all Amiga owners out there.

Oh do you got that right.

While my A500 has been proven to work with my dealer's modem, figuring out
my DCA 911 hasn't been so easy.  Even sadder, I work for DCA so I should be
able to figure it out, right?

Ha.

Sure, the 911 is a pretty complex modem, and DCA isn't to blame for *my*
problems, but here's the chronicle:

6/9: A500 returned from dealer, fixing serial port.  Dealer checked it out
before returning it.

6/11: Went into work with 500 to get months of saved-up source/binaries off
dcatla.  Same modular port adaptor that works with PC only causes high-
pitched whine off the Amiga monitor.  Serial line was working fine -- the
Mac I use every day proved it.

6/11 (evening):  Decided to try hooking pins 2-8 and 20 in a straight-line
configuration to modem -- if I can call the computer, fine.  Monitor freaked
out (scary!) and of course, no happy modem.

Time to double-check the pinouts.  But why couldn't I get the Amiga to work
with the PC port adaptor?  Which of these goofy modem lines should I try next?
Oh well, time to go home & try try again & again & again.  I'll post results
if I get any.

	Larry Kollar	...!gatech!dcatla!mclek

I hope you-all understand DCA doesn't have anything to do with this.

In article <5789@dcatla.UUCP> mclek@sunb.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) writes:
>While my A500 has been proven to work with my dealer's modem, figuring out
>my DCA 911 hasn't been so easy.  Even sadder, I work for DCA so I should be
>able to figure it out, right?

>6/11: Went into work with 500 to get months of saved-up source/binaries off
>dcatla.  Same modular port adaptor that works with PC only causes high-
>pitched whine off the Amiga monitor.  Serial line was working fine -- the
>Mac I use every day proved it.

>Time to double-check the pinouts.  But why couldn't I get the Amiga to work
>with the PC port adaptor?  Which of these goofy modem lines should I try next?

	I certainly hope you've figured it out by the time you get this,
but for the enlightenment of the net:

	THE LINE THAT SAYS AUDIO IN ON THE SERIAL PORT MEANS IT!

The dealers cable probably doesn't connect that pin.

	If you work for an rs232 hardware manufacturer, you should know by
now that the words "rs232 standard" are an amusing joke.

Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|ihnp4|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup