[comp.sys.amiga] deluxe music and synthia complement each other

janzen@ant.dec.com (Tom LMO2/O23 296-5421) (06/13/88)

                             -< dmcs and synthia >-

For about a month, I have been using Deluxe Music Construction Set (DMCS)
and Synthia on a Commodore Amiga 500 with one drive.

This is the first time I have used computer music software tools. (The cheap
synthesis programs I've written in assembler for the TRS80 and PDP11 weren't
tools.)

DMCS works fairly well.  It writes a musical score on the screen
and also can display a keyboard on the bottom of the screen and a musical
font window on the left.  The 3 windows are movable and sizable, per
Amiga Intuition.  The score's note heads and the piano keys can turn
red following the music as it plays, but this can be disabled.
It then can play a maximum of 4 voices out the Amiga sound device
(two channels; however, DMCS unpredictably assigns the channels note to note,
so the two channels should be mixed to stereo.)

I studied engraving standard music style in college (on my own from the
book by Ross from Hansen publications).  The DMCS score is not engraving
standard, but I
don't mind.  It has sizable measures and can have a variety of a number
of staffs.  I can't be certain it's 1 to 16, but I think so.
It can paginate or move from left to right.

I have no printer and can't judge DMCSs printing capability.

Time signature, tempo, instrument, key and perhaps other things
can change per bar.  More than 4 instruments can be in memory for
when you change instruments, but without MIDI (it reads and writes
a MIDI port option) it plays only 4 voices at once.  If you score
more than 4 voices at one instant, it picks four to play.
It can play a section you mark, rather than the whole score.

I have trouble getting the exact tempo I want.  I use the mouse to
slide a little sliding icon along a gas gauge for tempo, and get all
kinds of non-standard (OK fine) M.M. markings, usually just 1/minute
off from what I want.  Maybe I'll master this, but I think that's it.
Gee, for film/TV applications, precise tempi are needed.  Oh well.

It can't do trills.  I had to enter each note one at a time, and
use copy/paste to build a trill.  It can't do totally arbitrary
durations, just standard values, dotteds, and triplets (and quints).
It can't use proportional notation; it must have a time signature
(at least I think so, maybe a MIDI input device would allow such a mode).
It must have a tempo; the default is 92.  The default time signature
is 4/4 (!).  The default key is C (!!).  Key signature is per staff.
Time signature is for all staffs.

Words can be entered anywhere.  I think the font is changeable but I'm
not into that font stuff.

Sometimes it's inconvenient.  It always uses sharps if you
enter notes by clicking the mouse on the keyboard.  The shortest
way to get flats on a single note is to click the flat icon, click
the notehead (duration) icon, and click the place on the staff
you want the note at.  Or, you can play in naturals, and later
click the flat icon over the note.  If the music is crowded,
the sharp for a note may end up on top of the previous note, but you
can resize the measure to correct this.

It can beam any contiguous notes on a staff.  It doesn't beam across
a rest as some of my scores do.  Maybe it beams on two staffs, I'm not sure.
It makes slurs across anything you select, even rests, but sometimes the
slurs are bent a little far out.  The ties are OK, but I don't know how to
have ties oppose each other on a chord, as they should.
The stems are always 3.5 spaces long for single-voice staffs, even if the
note is way off the staff on a leger line.  You can have 2 voices on a staff.
I'm pretty fast at it, until I get a flat.

The colors, beige, black, white? and red for emphasis work ok for me.
The unprotected version (for $20 more) has different colors.
You can move windows in front and in back easily on the Amiga, but I usually
close windows that I don't need.  Whenever you select an optional
or special operation (like setting tempo) you get a window.
It can't do fractional tempos, like 4.5/4, but it do 1-99 (I think)
beats and any standard beat size (1,2,4,8,16...)

I am in the phase in which I am making lots of mistakes selecting
the wrong things because I am trying to go faster than I think, and
havn't learned.  For example, to select a group of notes you should
put the cursor out away from the staff to begin the selecting rectangle;
if you hit the mouse button to close to a note head, it will select a note
head.  If you select a note head with a depressed moise button, you can
move it up and down the staff (in a scale the program guesses you are
using currently, not necessarily the key signature), or horizontally
in the measure to reposition it.  You can hear the sound if you move
a note head up and down.  You can hear a sound if you select notes on the
keyboard.  You can play the piece any time during the process.

It has easy delete, copy, and paste commands.  You can also "select all"
if you want to change the whole piece in some way.

I have no midi instruments.  I am playing out the standard Amiga
sound port, a couple or so DACs.  It sounds OK, but is sometimes
hummy.  Flute duets, which I've been entering, are very exposed,
and the flute pitch so high, that intermittent humminess isn't hidden.
The humminess isn't flakey intermittent; I think it depends on the
pitch and/or wavetable.

DMCS can store a score or a SMUS (IFF?) file of the piece, or both
of course.  It can get scores and instruments from other dedicated
data disks, as I use it.  I verified that DMCS can use instruments
created with Synthia.

DMCS is copy-protected.  You can make a copy, but when you use the
backup, upon entering DMCS, it prompts you to put the master in a drive
to check a registration number, so you must keep the master around.
This prevents implementing the physical security measure of
keeping the distribution kit in a separate place.  I sent $20 to
the company (the original was ca. $70 at Software Shop) to get an
unprotected backup.

SYNTHIA:
The DMCS instruments subdirectory (AmigaDos has subdirectories similar
to VMS) has only a few essentials.  So I bought Synthia to suplement it.
Synthia can built instruments for DMCS (and other programs) a number
of ways, not including FM or Phase Distortion.  Software Shop had
Synthia for ca. $70.  Synthia is also copy-protected, but offers no
go-around.  It makes a heck of a bottle-popping sound.
Synthia has a few different ways of building sounds: additive, subtractive,
percussion, string model, interpolation.  All the techniques offer
"effects" such as reverb, amplitude modulation, pitch modulation,
and others.
Subtractive is a subset of additive; it lacks Additive's envelopes for
individual harmonics.
The model for Synthia is a little subtle and interlocked, and I can't
remember the right names for things, so I don't want to confuse you.
But here goes.
Under additive synthesis, you may specify 16 harmonics either by
envelope.  The envelopes can be mouse-drawn or calculated from 8
sliders that represent harmonics of the envelope shape, or polynomial
factors(powers?) or the sliders represent the shape of the envelope to
be interpolated with spline or in a linear way.  whew!  Don't expect to
build long gentle envelopes that fade in and fade out slowly.  If you
can do it, I don't know how.  References to envelopes here are to things
that come and go pretty fast in the mid range, about .5 second.
Envelope lengths seem inversely proportional to pitch.  However, notes
can repeat indefinetly if you want.  IFF sound definition permits repeating
any part, such as the tail of the sound until the score stops the sound.
Under additive synthesis you may define sounds with sliders that define
the waveform, i.e., are harmonics or polynomials or linear trace for
8 harmonics of the waveform.
The string model permits building a sound based on a plucked (not
bowed) string.  It distinguishes between nylon and steel.  It's good
for guitars and basses.  Maybe I'll try to make a harpsichord on it.
I think a book example made a strung waterglass with it.
The percussion model is pretty thorough, modelling the initial
excitation wave, feedback, resonance.  It also has alternate synthesis
techniques within the percussion window for non-harmonic sounds.
It can use a noise source with this model to make a muted cymbal, for
example.  I need more experience with it.  A non-linear vibrator model
is included.
The Synthia Extras disk includes an SMUS file player and some dumb
pieces to play with it.

I need more experience with both programs, but especially Synthia, which
is very deep.  There is some disk-swapping with only one disk, but not
during just working on a score or a sound.
Tom Janzen Digital Equipment Corp. 111 Locke Dr. Marlboro MA 01752

sjk@utastro.UUCP (Scot Kleinman) (06/13/88)

In article <8806121945.AA27561@decwrl.dec.com>, janzen@ant.dec.com (Tom LMO2/O23 296-5421) writes:

>                              -< dmcs and synthia >-
>
> For about a month, I have been using Deluxe Music Construction Set (DMCS)
> and Synthia on a Commodore Amiga 500 with one drive.
> Sometimes it's inconvenient.  It always uses sharps if you
> enter notes by clicking the mouse on the keyboard.  The shortest
> way to get flats on a single note is to click the flat icon, click
> the notehead (duration) icon, and click the place on the staff
> you want the note at.  Or, you can play in naturals, and later
> click the flat icon over the note.  If the music is crowded,
> the sharp for a note may end up on top of the previous note, but you
> can resize the measure to correct this.

I have been using DMCS on my 1000 have not experienced this inconvenience
mentioned.  My hunch is that you have clicked on the sharp button and therefore
its default mode is to place sharps on the staff.  To fix this problem, click
on the "CLR MOD" button.  This button should clear all modifications to the
entered note such as triplets, dots, sharps, etc.
I hope this works.

Scot  sjk@astro.as.utexas.edu BITNET

YOW!

bobb@tekfdi.TEK.COM (Robert Bales) (06/17/88)

LMO2/O23 296-5421) writes:

>Synthia is also copy-protected, but offers no go-around.

Synthia -- I bought my copy at the LA AmiExpo in Jan. -- is not copy protected.
I am not a musician, or even close. But I think that Sythia is to creating
instruments as Deluxe Paint II  is to creating pictures. Wow!

   Bob Bales
   Tektronix, Inc.

I help Tektronix make their instruments. They don't help me make my opinions.