[comp.sys.amiga] Picture swap

In article <2267@antique.UUCP> vax135!cjp (Charles Poirier) writes:
>In article <4380@killer.UUCP> woodsb@killer.UUCP (Brent L. Woods) writes:
>>In article <5269@dayton.UUCP> joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) writes:
>>>
>>>the moderators would like to post them to .binaries?
>>
>>We came to the conclusion that, yes, we would be willing to
>>post picture files ... , but we couldn't justify archive space for them.
>
>Hi, it's me, being negative again.  Pictures are not worth archiving at
>even the one site that people count on for archives, but they *are*
>worth spending several hundred hours of Usenet phone time per picture
>to transmit around the world?  (And they're not even naughty?  :-))  Oh
>my aching backbone!

I've gotta agree with Charles on this one. As much as I like to see the
free flow of free information, the volume volume volume we are talking
about here is staggering.

Put them on a commercial network where you get some idea of the real cost.

Become the "Fred Fish of pictures". Become a central distribution
point; distribute to user groups. But flood the net with those
puppies and even telebits wont save us.

(I have about 30+ picture disks, whats that, 25 megabytes. Sheesh.)

--
                "Live by the lawn dart, die by the lawn dart."
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM           {decwrl!mejac, rutgers!marque}!gryphon!richard

kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) (06/13/88)

In article <4398@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <2267@antique.UUCP> vax135!cjp (Charles Poirier) writes:

>>>We came to the conclusion that, yes, we would be willing to
>>>post picture files ... , but we couldn't justify archive space for them.
>>
>>Hi, it's me, being negative again.  Pictures are not worth archiving at
>>even the one site that people count on for archives, but they *are*
>>worth spending several hundred hours of Usenet phone time per picture
>>to transmit around the world?  (And they're not even naughty?  :-))  Oh
>>my aching backbone!
>
>I've gotta agree with Charles on this one. As much as I like to see the
>free flow of free information, the volume volume volume we are talking
>about here is staggering.
>
>Put them on a commercial network where you get some idea of the real cost.
>
>Become the "Fred Fish of pictures". Become a central distribution
>point; distribute to user groups. But flood the net with those
>puppies and even telebits wont save us.
>
>(I have about 30+ picture disks, whats that, 25 megabytes. Sheesh.)

Much as I hate to agree with Richard about anything, he is absolutely
right here (I think one of his fish typed it, personally).  I can
produce a priceless work of art in 30 minutes, tops, as opposed to
weeks or months to make a program the same size; the flood of pictures
could easily displace or delay beyond sustaining some great PD
programs.

No telebit trailblazer can beat the bandwidth of Leo on his bike with
his cape pockets full of picture disks.  Pictures should be passed
around at club meetings, shared with local BBS's, but not sent on the
net unless they have some other value (thereby excusing my Bard's Tale I
Maps, I hope ;-) - they are just too low value for the storage and
transmission costs.

Now if someone wants to collect them by USnail and make them available
ftp, so those who get, pay, I suppose that would be alright.

Kent, the man from xanth.

I'm going to get flamed. Neat.

I'll go further. I'd be willing to say "shut down comp.binaries.amiga".

Am I being a hypocrite? After all, I posted Gauge and Browser in binary
format. Well, yes... but. I have since sent out the source of gauge, and
I've been posting binaries since Browser on Compuserve instead of here.

No saint like a reformed sinner, perhaps.

But go have a look at news.admin. Shutting down the binaries group
voluntarily might help us keep the sources group alive. I don't want to
have to fall back on alt.sources.amiga.
--
-- Peter da Silva      `-_-'      ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- "Have you hugged your U wolf today?" ...!bellcore!tness1!sugar!peter

woodsb@killer.UUCP (Brent L. Woods) (06/14/88)

In article <5560@xanth.cs.odu.edu> kent@xanth.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
 >Much as I hate to agree with Richard about anything, he is absolutely
 >right here (I think one of his fish typed it, personally).  I can
 >produce a priceless work of art in 30 minutes, tops, as opposed to
 >weeks or months to make a program the same size; the flood of pictures
 >could easily displace or delay beyond sustaining some great PD
 >programs.

     And we got plenty of them, too.  Honest, race fans, If I'd have
had any idea of the discussion it would have caused (both here and
elsewhere--hi, Pat), I would have held my peace (difficult though that
can be).

     Now, I'd almost be willing to run a Fred-Fish-like service just for
picture files (and their viewing software, of course), just to get the
whole issue settled.  We'd even be set up to handle the "naughty" ones,
too (have quite a collection, already...).  This assumes that there's
enough interest in such a thing.  And, that I'm crazy enough to do it,
too.

     Me, I like the pictures of pretty girl's faces...  Though I wouldn't
refuse any others...

--
     Brent Woods, on his own for a change...

USENET:  woodsb@killer.UUCP  or  ihnp4!att!killer!woodsb
USNAIL:  320 Brown St., #406  /  W. Lafayette, IN  47906
MABELL:  +1 (317) 743-8421

"If it don't rain, the roof don't leak; if it's rainin', I cain't fix it
 nohow..."
                              -A Great Philosopher

In article <2121@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
 >I'm going to get flamed. Neat.

     Can't dispute that.

 >I'll go further. I'd be willing to say "shut down comp.binaries.amiga".

     I wouldn't.  No way.  Though, I might be considered prejudiced...
:-)

 >Am I being a hypocrite? After all, I posted Gauge and Browser in binary
 >format. Well, yes... but. I have since sent out the source of gauge, and
 >I've been posting binaries since Browser on Compuserve instead of here.
 >
 >No saint like a reformed sinner, perhaps.
 >
 >But go have a look at news.admin. Shutting down the binaries group
 >voluntarily might help us keep the sources group alive. I don't want to
 >have to fall back on alt.sources.amiga.

     Tell me, what are the people who don't have compilers or programming
expertise supposed to do?  Download all that fun source and just look at it
like it was high art?  Contrary to what I've seen implied elsewhere, most
of the Amiga owners in the universe *aren't* programmers or developers.
They're people who use the machine for some specific purpose (usually
graphics or sound applications) and barely trust themselves to point and
click with the mouse.  I have one friend who uses my Amiga from time to
time for word processing and he has a distinct *aversion* to the idea of
programming it himself.  Even so, I've just about sold him an Amiga of
his own because of all the *great* software I've shown him (if only I
could get paid for this...).  This is in spite of the fact that the verb
"to compile" gives him the twitches.

     Heck, it's hard enough for *me* to manage to compile the source sent
out by Matt Dillon (sorry Matt, but you *do* use a somewhat unique
environment), and *I* have lots of experience of that kind.  C'mon, give
the neophytes a break, eh?

--
     Brent Woods, Co-Moderator, comp.{sources,binaries}.amiga, mouthing
                  off yet again.

USENET:  woodsb@killer.UUCP  or  ihnp4!att!killer!woodsb
USNAIL:  320 Brown St., #406  /  W. Lafayette, IN  47906
MABELL:  +1 (317) 743-8421

This week's Phrase-That-Pays:  "Oh, well..."

joe@dayton.UUCP (Joseph P. Larson) (06/15/88)

In article <4398@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) say:

>Become the "Fred Fish of pictures". Become a central distribution
>point; distribute to user groups. But flood the net with those
>puppies and even telebits wont save us.
>
>(I have about 30+ picture disks, whats that, 25 megabytes. Sheesh.)

Yes, the volume is too high.  So I am hereby officially becoming a picture
collector.  If you have pictures, drop me a disk.  For every disk of pics I
get, I'll send it back with what I may have found by that point.

A few notes:

	1. If you send ray-traced, sending the input to the ray tracer would
		be appreciated.  That's up to you.

	2. If the picture can not be displayed with DPaintII or the DISPLAY
		program that comes with DBW_Render, please provide a display
		program somewhere on the disk or at least give me some clues as
		to how I should display it.

	3. Make *sure* you give me full mailing info and such.

	4. Anything you send me should be freely redistributable.  This means
		that I'd love to get digitized pictures out of your favorite
		magazine, but that's not legal.....

	5. If you DO violate note 4, at least tell me you did so I don't get
		into trouble with someone Official.

	6. Keep copies and insure yourself if you send more disks than you're
		willing to lose in the mail.

If I start to get some collections together, I'll do a followup and tell
people what they can do to get some pictures from me without sending
submissions.  I'm also willing to accept pictures over the phones if I
don't have to make long long-distance phone calls to do it.  If you have
DBW_Render pictures, you can just email those to me....

My mailing address is NOT my work address, however.  Send disks, etc to:

Joe Larson
6121 St. Croix Ave. N.
Golden Valley, Minnesota 55422

Disks sent to me at work will get here, but home would be better....
--
UUCP: rutgers!dayton!joe                Dayton Hudson Department Store Company
ATT : (612) 375-3537                    Joe Larson/MIS 1060

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (06/15/88)

In article <4456@killer.UUCP>, woodsb@killer.UUCP (Brent L. Woods) writes:
>      Tell me, what are the people who don't have compilers or programming
> expertise supposed to do?  Download all that fun source and just look at it
> like it was high art?  Contrary to what I've seen implied elsewhere, most
> of the Amiga owners in the universe *aren't* programmers or developers.

     The important question is how do the costs of keeping the binaries
group compare with the benefits?  If the majority of Usenet readers aren't
programmers it makes sense to devote the bandwidth to binaries for their
benefit.  But my impression is that Usenet readers are generally able to
compile programs.  True, there are lots of Amiga owners who aren't
programmers, but if they don't have access to Usenet anyway it's hard to
justify the bandwidth for binaries.

     People who don't have Usenet access get programs from those who do,
through user groups, dealer libraries, and the Fish libraries.  The
suggestion to stop distributing binaries over the net deserves some
research into the usefulness of binaries to Usenet readers.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...gatech!codas!usfvax2!jc3b21!fgd3

melnik@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ofer Melnik) (06/17/88)

I've seen a lot lately about a program called "DBW_Render"

can someone tell me what it is/does? Is it public domain?

Thanks

Ofer Melnik

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (06/17/88)

From article <4398@gryphon.CTS.COM>, by richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton):
> Become the "Fred Fish of pictures". Become a central distribution
> point; distribute to user groups. But flood the net with those
> puppies and even telebits wont save us.

I like this idea! One of the things I love about the Amiga is the
beautiful pictures that get created on it. I've collected just about
every picture I've had my hands on, and there are some that I would maim
to get.

I'm the libriarian of the local user's group and would be very
interested in seeing this happen. Why stop at pictures, how about
sound/music files too?

The biggest problem with getting Amiga art distributed is the sheer
size of the files. A centralized, floppy based distribution seems to be
the ideal answer. Any volunteers? :-)

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Addresses:  {ihnp4,ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne