[comp.sys.amiga] FileReq

FATQW@USU.BITNET (Bryan Ford) (06/15/88)

First of all, there's a new version (1.1) of FileReq coming soon on
comp.binaries.amiga.  Please try not to distribute 1.0 too much as
it has a very serious bug that I overlooked before.  In 1.1 it's
fixed, and I've added the capability to specify a "busy pointer" to
use when it's reading the directory.

In a recent message Peter da Silva wrote:
>Now if the format of the message isn't too incompatible, I'll put a
>port into Browser that looks like this filerequest port but just puts
>your program's name in the Tools menu. So if you have Browser you can
>use it, but if you don't you can just ship this PD program with your
>software.

I don't quite understand.  Could you clarify?

>This is an important point: people should be able to depend on a fallback
>position.

Absolutely.  At least a simple file requester should be provided
internally to every program.

>Too bad he didn't see fit to distribute source.

I wouldn't mind at all distributing the source, but it uses routines
from my special library, which I am not distributing.  However, since
there is so much demand for the source, I might extract the various
routines it uses from the library and stick them right in the file
requester source.  As soon as I have the time, I'll try to do that.

                                Bryan Ford (FATQW@USU.BITNET)

In article ... FATQW@USU.BITNET (Bryan Ford) writes:
> In a recent message Peter da Silva wrote:
> >Now if the format of the message isn't too incompatible, I'll put a
> >port into Browser that looks like this filerequest port but just puts
> >your program's name in the Tools menu. So if you have Browser you can
> >use it, but if you don't you can just ship this PD program with your
> >software.

> I don't quite understand.  Could you clarify?

What would happen is that when you sent the message to Browser it would put
up a menu item under "Requestors" with your title in it. Then when you selected
a file and pulled down that menu it would send the reply back to the program
and take it out of the menu. That way you could pass a filename straight to
the program from the Browser.

And if a customer didn't buy Browser, then they could start up your file
requestor instead.

> However, since
> there is so much demand for the source, I might extract the various
> routines it uses from the library and stick them right in the file
> requester source.  As soon as I have the time, I'll try to do that.

Please do.
--
-- Peter da Silva      `-_-'      ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- "Have you hugged your U wolf today?" ...!bellcore!tness1!sugar!peter