[comp.sys.amiga] New Deluxe Paint II bug

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (06/15/88)

	I believe I've tracked down a new bug in Deluxe Paint II.
Could somebody please try to reproduce it?

	Basically, the problem is this:  if you invoke DPaint from
the CLI, and that CLI is using a font other than Topaz, DPaint
crashes when you exit.

	Reproduce:

		Warm boot on vanilla Amiga
		Open a CLI
		Change font from Topaz to anything else.  I use
		 the "setfont" program; i.e., "setfont ruby".
		Invoke DPaint.
		Exit DPaint.
		<CRASH!>

If you don't crash on exit, you should at least notice that your CLI
font has "disappeared"; that is, characters don't echo at all, or they
echo garbage.  If so, invoke DPaint again, exit again, and you will
crash.

Can anyone else verify this?  Could it somehow be attributed to the
"Setfont" program?  Thanks!

--
Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP
		barrett@cs.jhu.edu

maloff@calgary.UUCP (Sheldon Maloff) (06/16/88)

In article <6540@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) writes:

> 	I believe I've tracked down a new bug in Deluxe Paint II.
> Could somebody please try to reproduce it?

I can't reproduce it.

> 	Reproduce:
>
> 		Warm boot on vanilla Amiga
> 		Open a CLI
> 		Change font from Topaz to anything else.  I use
> 		 the "setfont" program; i.e., "setfont ruby".
> 		Invoke DPaint.
> 		Exit DPaint.
> 		<CRASH!>
>
> If you don't crash on exit, you should at least notice that your CLI
> font has "disappeared"; that is, characters don't echo at all, or they
> echo garbage.  If so, invoke DPaint again, exit again, and you will
> crash.

I'm running a 2 meg amiga, so its not vanilla.  But I use setfont font
with my own font I created called block (its 8 x 8).  Basically its a
modification of the generic topaz/8 except without all those serif's!
I ran from csh2.07 and didn't crash on exit.  My guess is its the ruby
font thats breaking Dpaint.  I believe the setfont docs say that many
programs will have troubles with fonts other than 8 x 8 pixels.
I run setfont with TITLES WINDOWS SCREEN (all options on).

|| Sheldon                               ----========== \\        -----======||
|| maloff@calgary.UUCP                      -----====== //  Calgary, Alberta ||
|| {ihnp4!alberta}!calgary!maloff               -----== \\  Past Host of the ||
|| .. eventually, we'll all be scaled by zero and  ---= //  '88 Winter Games ||
|| converge upon the origin ... then we'll party!    -= \\              ---==||

In article <6540@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) writes:

>	I believe I've tracked down a new bug in Deluxe Paint II.
>Could somebody please try to reproduce it?
>
>	Basically, the problem is this:  if you invoke DPaint from
>the CLI, and that CLI is using a font other than Topaz, DPaint
>crashes when you exit.
>
>	Reproduce:
>
>		Warm boot on vanilla Amiga
>		Open a CLI
>		Change font from Topaz to anything else.  I use
>		 the "setfont" program; i.e., "setfont ruby".
>		Invoke DPaint.
>		Exit DPaint.
>		<CRASH!>
>
>If you don't crash on exit, you should at least notice that your CLI
>font has "disappeared"; that is, characters don't echo at all, or they
>echo garbage.  If so, invoke DPaint again, exit again, and you will
>crash.
>
>Can anyone else verify this?  Could it somehow be attributed to the
>"Setfont" program?  Thanks!

Verified.

--
                              "Shrimp Ahoy"
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                               {backbone}!gryphon!richard

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (06/17/88)

In article <4492@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <6540@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) writes:
>>
>>	I believe I've tracked down a new bug in Deluxe Paint II.
>>Could somebody please try to reproduce it?

	[ BUG described. ]

>>Can anyone else verify this?

>Verified.
>richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

	Thank you, Richard!  I called Electronic Arts and described
the bug to a tech person, who promised to notify the software people.
I asked if there was any chance that there would ever be a bug fix
released (since their new Deluxe products seem to be taking precedence
over DPaint), and he wasn't sure.  Sigh.
--

In article <1680@vaxb.calgary.UUCP> maloff@calgary.UUCP (Sheldon Maloff) writes:
>I can't reproduce it.
>
>I'm running a 2 meg amiga, so its not vanilla.  But I use setfont font
>with my own font I created called block (its 8 x 8).  Basically its a
>modification of the generic topaz/8 except without all those serif's!
>I ran from csh2.07 and didn't crash on exit.  My guess is its the ruby
>font thats breaking Dpaint.

	Well, I broke Dpaint with every font on my Amiga.  This
includes all the fonts in a vanilla FONTS: directory, plus "pearl"
font which sounds exactly like your "block" font -- Topaz without
serifs.

	Since other people have verified my bug, my guess is that
DPaint is doing something non-standard, assuming Topaz font in its
invoking CLI, and your "block" font is so similar to Topaz that DPaint
doesn't notice a difference.