[comp.sys.amiga] F18 Interceptor - Is that ...?

berman@stsci.EDU (Mike Berman) (06/15/88)

An interesting "coincidence" in F18:

Look just west of the San Mateo bridge (the long one at the south end
of the Bay). There are some buildings there. Two of them look like office
buildings.

The address on the warranty card (which I assume to be Electronics Arts main
offices) is Gateway Drive, San Mateo, CA.

You gotta love it.
--
                      Space Telescope Science Institute, Baltimore, MD 21218
       Mike           ARPA:   berman@stsci.edu      BITNET:   berman@stsci

ericb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Eric Black) (06/18/88)

In article <360@obi-wan> berman@stsci.EDU (Mike Berman) writes:
>An interesting "coincidence" in F18:
>
>Look just west of the San Mateo bridge (the long one at the south end
>of the Bay). There are some buildings there. Two of them look like office
>buildings.

At the recent FAUG (First Amiga User's Group) meeting June 7th, Moses Ma
showed off F/A-18 Interceptor (Jay Miner was up front to demo it).
There was a certain amount of complaining about the copy protection scheme
using the decoder wheel, particularly the way it demands a counterkey
on each play, not just at program startup.

Anyway, in response to questions about the landmarks shown, Moses said
that the Electronic Arts building was indeed shown.  At this point,
many folks in the crowd shouted "Bomb it!", or words to that effect :-)

Moses said something about how that would turn off the copy protection...
I can tell he was pulling our collective mouse cord because I have
tried it -- it doesn't!  Sigh.  Would have been a nice touch!

Anyway, this past Monday I bought a copy of the program, and people
here at work have developed a certain addition to it.  I bought this
and "Marble Madness!" as demos of the graphics/animation/sound capabilities
of the Amiga -- I certainly don't play games on my computer! :-)

Highly recommended!

--
Eric Black	"Garbage in, Gospel out"
Atherton Technology, 1333 Bordeaux Dr., Sunnyvale, CA, 94089

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (06/18/88)

In article <195@mango.athertn.Atherton.COM> ericb@mango.UUCP (Eric Black) writes:
>showed off F/A-18 Interceptor (Jay Miner was up front to demo it).
>There was a certain amount of complaining about the copy protection scheme
>using the decoder wheel, particularly the way it demands a counterkey
>on each play, not just at program startup.

Perhaps someone could find a way around it, and then post a patch program
ala the Starglider patch. I was going to order the program, but with that
sort of asinine copy protection system, I've changed my mind. I lost my
Marauder II book a while back, and had to go through the hassle of getting
another one from the company just so I could use the program. I'm not going
through that again. If they drop the code wheel, or if someone posts a patch,
I'll buy F-18.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  The Empire select() Monster       {backbone|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

boblind@percival.UUCP (Bob Lindstrom) (06/19/88)

In article <360@obi-wan> berman@stsci.EDU (Mike Berman) writes:
>An interesting "coincidence" in F18:
>
>Look just west of the San Mateo bridge (the long one at the south end
>of the Bay). There are some buildings there. Two of them look like office
>buildings.
>
>The address on the warranty card (which I assume to be Electronics Arts main
>offices) is Gateway Drive, San Mateo, CA.
>
>You gotta love it.
>--

Yes, the two low, oddly-shaped buildings in Interceptor are the office
complex where EA is located. The one to the east is the one that EA occupies.
What's more, the high-rise just SE of those buildings is the one that houses
the offices of A+ Magazine and MacUser.

Soooo, choose your target and let the missiles fly. Just try to avoid my
office, OK?

--
| Troutdale Shrine of Computing       **   Bob Lindstrom, perpetrator      |
|     "What doesn't kill me"          **   UUCP:percival!boblind           |