[comp.sys.amiga] Kermit, vt100, sliding windows

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (05/06/88)

particular, does it do (sliding) windows? And how do I find out if the remote
machine does sliding windows?
Thanks in advance - Nath

acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (05/06/88)

In article <507@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:
>particular, does it do (sliding) windows? And how do I find out if the remote
>machine does sliding windows?
>Thanks in advance - Nath

Nope, VT100 kermit doesn't do windows.  As far as how to tell if the
remote machine does...I dunno, it depends on the implementation.
--
Tony Sumrall acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

suh@cunixc.columbia.edu (Kenneth Suh) (05/08/88)

In article <507@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:
>particular, does it do (sliding) windows? And how do I find out if the remote
>machine does sliding windows?
>Thanks in advance - Nath

According to our information at Kermit Distribution, there are only two
implementations of kermit which support sliding windows: Kermit for the
Prime and a version of Kermit written in Lattice C for the IBM PC.  In
other words, Kermit for the Amiga does not use sliding windows.

Most recent implementations of Kermit now have Long Packet support.  Of
course, this does not help you if you use  PC-Pursuit or satellites.

/ken

Kenneth Suh                            PATH: suh@CUNIXC.COLUMBIA.EDU
Kermit Distribution                          ..!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!suh
Columbia University                          SY.SUH@CU20B.BITNET
   Center for Computing Activities
612 West 115th Street
New York, NY 10025-7721

joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara) (05/13/88)

In article <663@cunixc.columbia.edu> suh@cunixc.columbia.edu (Kenneth Suh) writes:

>According to our information at Kermit Distribution, there are only two
>implementations of kermit which support sliding windows: Kermit for the
>Prime and a version of Kermit written in Lattice C for the IBM PC.  In
>other words, Kermit for the Amiga does not use sliding windows.
>
>Most recent implementations of Kermit now have Long Packet support.  Of
>course, this does not help you if you use  PC-Pursuit or satellites.

ATERM 7.3, a public domain terminal program originally written by Michael
Mounier and modified by Jeff Lydiatt, Larry Phillips, and Steve Allen
supports sliding windows kermit.

  Joe O'Hara                ||  Comments represent my own opinions,
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||  not my employers. Any similarity to
  Software QA               ||  to any other opinions, living or dead,

hamilton@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (05/14/88)

suh@cunixc.columbia.edu says:
> According to our information at Kermit Distribution, there are only two
> implementations of kermit which support sliding windows: Kermit for the
> Prime and a version of Kermit written in Lattice C for the IBM PC.  In
> other words, Kermit for the Amiga does not use sliding windows.

    i've seen these implementations of Sliding Window Kermit:
	Procomm (ibm pc, written in microsoft C)
	Crosstalk MkIV (???, also ibm pc)
	Aterm73 (amiga, seemed kinda flakey to me, but source was there)
	SW C-Kermit (generic unix)
i put SW C-Kermit sources in ~ftp/pub on uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (128.174.5.50).
when i get home, i can upload aterm73.arc there (i got it from the amiga
forum on compuserve, it's probably available elsewhere).

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,pur-ee,uunet}!uiucuxc!osiris!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu	USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
CSNET:	hamilton%osiris@uiuc.csnet	Phone:	(217)333-8703

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (05/15/88)

In article <3766@cbmvax.UUCP>, joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara) writes:
<deleted stuff>
> ATERM 7.3, a public domain terminal program <deleted stuff>
        ^^^
The version I have (7.2, out of Amicus disk no. 17) does not seem to do vt100
emulation correctly: With more, emacs, vnews etc, it seems to insert one
linefeed too many at times. Has this been fixed?

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (05/16/88)

In <663@cunixc.columbia.edu>, suh@cunixc.columbia.edu (Kenneth Suh) writes:
>According to our information at Kermit Distribution, there are only two
>implementations of kermit which support sliding windows: Kermit for the
>Prime and a version of Kermit written in Lattice C for the IBM PC.  In
>other words, Kermit for the Amiga does not use sliding windows.

Ken, I don't know where that information comes from, but Aterm 7.3 supports
sliding windows Kermit as one of its two protocols. It was added by Jeff
Lydiatt and myself over a year ago. Aterm 7.3 evolved from Aterm by Michael
Mounier.

-larry

--
Janus? Well, look at it this way. If you squint a little, the J could be
       Amiga checkmark, and the rest of the word describes MsDos.

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (05/17/88)

In <520@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu>, vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:
>In article <3766@cbmvax.UUCP>, joe@cbmvax.UUCP (Joe O'Hara) writes:
><deleted stuff>
>> ATERM 7.3, a public domain terminal program <deleted stuff>
>        ^^^
>The version I have (7.2, out of Amicus disk no. 17) does not seem to do vt100
>emulation correctly: With more, emacs, vnews etc, it seems to insert one
>linefeed too many at times. Has this been fixed?

Aterm was never meant to be a VT100 emulator. It does do ANSI 3.64, which
as I understand it, is a subset of VT100. It also happens to be the same
standard used in the Amiga's console, which Aterm uses.

Neither Jeff Lydiatt or myself are working on Aterm any more at all, so 7.3
is the last in the line unless someone else takes it from there. The source
is freely distributable, and has been for some time.

-larry

--

vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) (05/19/88)

In article <1765@van-bc.UUCP>, lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) writes:

> Aterm was never meant to be a VT100 emulator. It does do ANSI 3.64, which
> as I understand it, is a subset of VT100. It also happens to be the same
> standard used in the Amiga's console, which Aterm uses.
I tried telling PyramidOS that the terminal type was `ansi'. But with vnews
the screen won't clear between messages and there is that extra linefeed.
What am I doing wrong. and where do I get the source for ATerm 7.3?
Thanks in advance - Nath

ray@jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Ray Tripamer) (05/20/88)

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) writes:

|suh@cunixc.columbia.edu (Kenneth Suh) writes:
||According to our information at Kermit Distribution, there are only two
||implementations of kermit which support sliding windows: Kermit for the
||Prime and a version of Kermit written in Lattice C for the IBM PC.  In
||other words, Kermit for the Amiga does not use sliding windows.
|
|Ken, I don't know where that information comes from, but Aterm 7.3 supports
|sliding windows Kermit as one of its two protocols. It was added by Jeff
|Lydiatt and myself over a year ago. [...]

I beleive that Kenneth is referring to the vanilla versions of kermit
supported by Columbia University.  For sliding windows to be supported
on the Amiga by Columbia, the C-Kermit protocol modules would have to be
re-worked.  Any volunteers :-).  Maybe it is already in the works??
Then all C-Kermit based implementations would have sliding windows.
--
Ray Tripamer
ray@jimi.cs.unlv.edu

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (05/21/88)

In <529@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu>, vkr@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu (Vidhyanath K. Rao) writes:
>I tried telling PyramidOS that the terminal type was `ansi'. But with vnews
>the screen won't clear between messages and there is that extra linefeed.
>What am I doing wrong. and where do I get the source for ATerm 7.3?
>Thanks in advance - Nath

  I'm really not sure. I'm not sure that ASNI 3.64 and the Amiga console
are  talking 100% in the same language, as I've not seen the spec. Aterm
does suppress CTRL N, which puts the Amiga screen into alternate character
set mode, as there were a lot of complaints from people saying that on
certain services, or as the result of line noise, they were constantly
having to try to make it receive a CTRL O to change it back.

  I have an Aterm up here on the other machine, and checked a few things. A
CTRL L will clear the screen, and the sequence:

<ESC>[H  followed by <ESC>[J

will home the cursor and clear to end of screen. beyond that, I don't know
of any other sequences that might be sent to clear the screen. If you have
'termcap' sort of thing on PyramidOS, it might be worth a look to see what
the ANSI one thinks the terminal needs for clearing the screen.

The source for Aterm 7.3 is on Compuserve, in the Amigaforum in Data
Library 10 (programming). I have never tried posting any source or binaries
to Usenet before, but was speaking with Jeff Lydiatt earlier tonight, and
we will try to get it to comp.sources.amiga.

-larry

--

suh@cunixc.columbia.edu (Kenneth Suh) (05/27/88)

In article <1763@van-bc.UUCP> lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) writes:

>In <663@cunixc.columbia.edu>, suh@cunixc.columbia.edu (Kenneth Suh) writes:
>>According to our information at Kermit Distribution, there are only two
>>implementations of kermit which support sliding windows: Kermit for the
>>Prime and a version of Kermit written in Lattice C for the IBM PC.  In
>>other words, Kermit for the Amiga does not use sliding windows.
>
>Ken, I don't know where that information comes from, but Aterm 7.3 supports
>sliding windows Kermit as one of its two protocols. It was added by Jeff
>Lydiatt and myself over a year ago. Aterm 7.3 evolved from Aterm by Michael
>Mounier.
>
>-larry

As stated, my information comes from the resources I have at work.  I
work for Kermit Distribution.  The information which has since been sent
out has been brought to the attention of my supervisors.  If programmers
add features on to Kermit and don't inform us, Kermit Distribution, then
people who request information aren't informed either.

/ken

Kenneth Suh                            PATH: suh@CUNIXC.COLUMBIA.EDU
Kermit Distribution                          SY.SUH@CU20B.BITNET
Columbia University Center for               ..!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!suh
  Computing Activities
612 West 115th Street
New York, NY 10025

lphillips@lpami.van-bc.UUCP (Larry Phillips) (06/19/88)

In <706@cunixc.columbia.edu>, suh@cunixc.columbia.edu (Kenneth Suh) writes:
 >As stated, my information comes from the resources I have at work.  I
 >work for Kermit Distribution.  The information which has since been sent
 >out has been brought to the attention of my supervisors.  If programmers
 >add features on to Kermit and don't inform us, Kermit Distribution, then
 >people who request information aren't informed either.

 Ahh... Sorry about that. It was my understanding that the presence of
SWkermit in Aterm 7.3 had been reported to Kermit Distribution and that the
source code had been sent along as well. Obviously the fellow who said he
did this was not being quite truthful.

  Would it be The Right Thing To Do to send a copy of the source (it is
readily available and freely distributable), to Kermit Distribution?

-larry

--
If all the MSDos machines were laid end to end,
  they still wouldn't be as fun as a single Amiga.