[comp.sys.amiga] More than 512K?

In article ... hunt@tramp.Colorado.EDU (HUNT LEE CAMERON) writes:
> Maybe not weird, but from my experiences people who have C compilers are
> far and few between.  Not to mention that you really need more that 512K
> to compile large programs.

It's nice, but I developed all the game playing and most of the graphics code
for tracers with a 512K amiga and two drives. You do need that second drive.
Karl had 4 MEG for the incredible audio code and the utility routines (like
IFF reading and copy protection), but I was able to compile the whole thing
(his code and mine) on said 512K amiga with two drives, even compiling each
file into RAM:, copying it back to df1:, and then linking into RAM:.

Tracers is not a small program.

So, not only did I have enough RAM to compile with 512K, I had enough RAM to
compile to the RAMdisk. So much for "you really need more than 512K".

Of course I would truly *hate* to lose my second-hand 4 MEG board now, but
an Amiga with 512K is quite usable.
--
-- `-_-' Peter (have you hugged your wolf today?) da Silva.
--   U   Mail to ...!uunet!sugar!peter, flames to /dev/null.

hunt@tramp.Colorado.EDU (HUNT LEE CAMERON) (06/20/88)

In article <2149@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article ... hunt@tramp.Colorado.EDU (HUNT LEE CAMERON) writes:
>> Maybe not weird, but from my experiences people who have C compilers are
>> far and few between.  Not to mention that you really need more that 512K
>> to compile large programs.
>
>It's nice, but I developed all the game playing and most of the graphics code
>for tracers with a 512K amiga and two drives. You do need that second drive.
>Karl had 4 MEG for the incredible audio code and the utility routines (like
>IFF reading and copy protection), but I was able to compile the whole thing
>(his code and mine) on said 512K amiga with two drives, even compiling each
>file into RAM:, copying it back to df1:, and then linking into RAM:.
>
>Tracers is not a small program.
>
>So, not only did I have enough RAM to compile with 512K, I had enough RAM to
>compile to the RAMdisk. So much for "you really need more than 512K".
Ok, I stand corrected.  But if you try to do the same thing with a TDI Modula-2
compiler, you definately DO need more than 512K (although this probably stems
from the fact that TDI's compiler is so bad that it shouldn't even be public
domain).  I admit I was speaking from my experience from TDI's compiler.
But I still don't have the money for a C compiler.  (Incidently, which kind
of compiler do you have?   How much did it cost?  I'd like to know for
future reference.)

>Of course I would truly *hate* to lose my second-hand 4 MEG board now, but
>an Amiga with 512K is quite usable.
>--
>-- `-_-' Peter (have you hugged your wolf today?) da Silva.
>--   U   Mail to ...!uunet!sugar!peter, flames to /dev/null.
>-- "A foolish consistancy is the hobgoblin of little minds".

(This is blank space because our stupid server is set-up to only accept
acticles that have more new text than old)
!
!
!

Lee Hunt                                     University of Colorado @ Boulder