[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga Disk Backup

Daniel_Zenchelsky@rubbs1.UUCP (Daniel Zenchelsky) (05/15/88)

+
Software Owner:
+
               Every Amiga user should have a back-up copy of every
protected program they own. Now YOU can have reliable, affordable
protection!
+
+
We offer two options:
+
        1) You supply us with an original disk. For $2 per disk*,
we will make you a duplicate.
+
        2) For $5 per disk*, and proof of an original copy, we
will make you a duplicate.
+
Ownership can be proven as follows:
+
        1) Provide original sales slip
+                       OR
        2) Sign the release on the order form.
+
+
(* Plus $1 per disk shipping)
+
Order Form:
+
+
Name   ___________________________________________ (Please Print)
+
Street ___________________________________________
+
City   ___________________________________________
+
State  ____________________  Zip _________________
+
+
I have enclosed _____ original disks.
Other than the enclosed disks, I want _____ backups.
I have enclosed $_____ ($2 per disk w/original, $5 without)
I have enclosed $_____ shipping ($1 per disk)
+
Please make all checks and money orders payable to: DNZ Enterprises.
Allow two weeks for personal checks.
+
Present Copyright Laws permit you to make, or authorize the making
of a backup copy of your software.
+
+
I certify that I am the owner of the following software, and that
I authorize DNZ enterprises to provide me with backups in
accordance with Copyright Laws.
+
List Software:
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+
+                                     _______________________
+                                           (Signature)
+
+
Mail to:
+
Amiga Disk Backup
DNZ Enterprises
Dept. B
P.O. Box 1452
Highland Park, NJ
08904
+

Daniel_Zenchelsky@rubbs1.UUCP (Daniel Zenchelsky) (05/15/88)

Amiga Disk Backup -- Software List (5/14/88)
+
We can make backups of the following software without you
supplying an original:
+
Fire Power, Crystal Hammer, Dark Castle (2 disks), Archon I, Shanghai
Faery Tale, Silent Service, Skyfox, Starglider, Larn 12.0b, Hack
Bard's Tale, Barbarian, Flight simulator, Marble Madness,
Guild of Thieves, Defender of the Crown, Moebius, Arena, Workbench 1.2
Facc II, Maruader II, Project D, Pascal, C, Extras/Basic 1.2
Kickstart 1.2, Word Perfect 4.1 (4 disks), Textcraft plus, Scribble
Superbase, NewTek Demo, Deluxe Paint II, Deluxe Paint II art disk
Digi-Paint, Digi-View, Butcher 2.0, Printmaster, Aegis animator
Silver, Sculpt 3d, Dynamic Cad 2.0, Audio Master, Sonix 2.0 (2 disks)
Music Construction Set, Dynamic Drums (2 disks), Psound
+
As well as Fred Fish Disks 1-123.
+
+
These are by no means all the disks we can copy (in fact we can copy
almost all the disks on the market today.) If you have a disk that
is not on the list, PLEASE, send us the disk and we will copy it.
+

Now if I were a pirate and I wanted to gets lots of copy protected
software how would I do it? This backup deal sounds like a good start.
I am probably entirely too cynical but this thing really threw up a
warning flag when I read it.

--Chuck McManis

It gets better and better ...
--Chuck McManis

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (05/17/88)

In article <41.228E8CA9@rubbs1.UUCP> Daniel_Zenchelsky@rubbs1.UUCP (Daniel Zenchelsky) writes:
>Amiga Disk Backup -- Software List (5/14/88)
>+
>We can make backups of the following software without you
>supplying an original:
>+
>Fire Power, Crystal Hammer, Dark Castle (2 disks), Archon I, Shanghai
>Faery Tale, Silent Service, Skyfox, Starglider, Larn 12.0b, Hack
>Bard's Tale, Barbarian, Flight simulator, Marble Madness,
>Guild of Thieves, Defender of the Crown, Moebius, Arena, Workbench 1.2
>Facc II, Maruader II, Project D, Pascal, C, Extras/Basic 1.2
>Kickstart 1.2, Word Perfect 4.1 (4 disks), Textcraft plus, Scribble
>Superbase, NewTek Demo, Deluxe Paint II, Deluxe Paint II art disk
>Digi-Paint, Digi-View, Butcher 2.0, Printmaster, Aegis animator
>Silver, Sculpt 3d, Dynamic Cad 2.0, Audio Master, Sonix 2.0 (2 disks)
>Music Construction Set, Dynamic Drums (2 disks), Psound
>+
>As well as Fred Fish Disks 1-123.
>+

Are you nuts ?   I read your previous posting and order form.  Do you
really think it is legal for you to provide people with copies of
commercial software on either an "original receipt" which will probably
not specify exactly what they bought or on a signature that could belong
to someone not of legal age or to a fictitious person ?

I certainly hope you discussed this attorney because I have a feeling
you are going to need one.

And what they heck are Kickstart, Workbench, Extras, Textcraft Pluss,
C, and Pascal doing on your list ????   Those disks are not copy
protected and anyone with a legitimately purchased copy can make their
own archival backup with the Amiga Diskcopy command.  I see no reason for
such software to even appear on your list unless you are what you appear
to be - software pirates.

>+
>These are by no means all the disks we can copy (in fact we can copy
>almost all the disks on the market today.) If you have a disk that
>is not on the list, PLEASE, send us the disk and we will copy it.
>+

Yes - and I bet you'll make a copy for your personal archive at the same time.

I strongly suggest that you return any money and disks that are sent to
you with a note that you are sorry, but you cannot perform the service
that you advertised.  It might make it easier on you when you get sued.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (05/17/88)

In article <40.228E8C97@rubbs1.UUCP> Daniel_Zenchelsky@rubbs1.UUCP (Daniel Zenchelsky) writes:
>[ ... an offer to copy your copy-protected disks.... ]
>+
>        1) You supply us with an original disk. For $2 per disk*,
>we will make you a duplicate.
>+
>        2) For $5 per disk*, and proof of an original copy, we
>will make you a duplicate.

	 3) For $22.00, you can buy MarauderII and copy all of your
copy-protected disks by yourself.  Good luck, guys, but I don't
think your idea is going to sell....

	In addition, you should be careful you don't run afoul of
any manufacturer's copying conditions.  Some of them specify that the
owner of a program may not put his disks into a situation that makes
pirating easy & convenient.  I am not accusing anyone of anything here,
but sending your original disk off to somebody you don't know is
likely a breach of that contract.

--
Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP
		barrett@cs.jhu.edu

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (05/17/88)

In article <41.228E8CA9@rubbs1.UUCP> Daniel_Zenchelsky@rubbs1.UUCP (Daniel Zenchelsky) writes:
>Amiga Disk Backup -- Software List (5/14/88)
>We can make backups of the following software without you
>supplying an original:
>+
>Fire Power, Crystal Hammer, Dark Castle (2 disks), Archon I ...

	Unless I misunderstand, folks... this is PIRACY.

	Please get the FUCK off the Net.

--

grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (05/17/88)

In article <40.228E8C97@rubbs1.UUCP> Daniel_Zenchelsky@rubbs1.UUCP (Daniel Zenchelsky) writes:
>Software Owner:
>               Every Amiga user should have a back-up copy of every
>protected program they own. Now YOU can have reliable, affordable
>protection!
>+
>We offer two options:
>        1) You supply us with an original disk. For $2 per disk*,
>we will make you a duplicate.
>        2) For $5 per disk*, and proof of an original copy, we
>will make you a duplicate.
>+
>Ownership can be proven as follows:
>        1) Provide original sales slip
>+                       OR
>        2) Sign the release on the order form.
[some text omitted]

The above came across comp.sys.amiga.

Aside from the fact that this is blatent advertising on the net,
does anybody else besides me feel uncomfortable about the above
setup ?

That this setup (if it is legal) is ripe with opertunities for pirating ?
    1) by people signing the 'release' saying they have an original
       (when they don't)
    2) by Daniel Z. making copies of the software that people send in
       (which he didn't purchase)

Just a few thoughts ...

	fred

grwalter@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca				  (Canadian domain)
grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.edu				  (US Internet, including CSNET)
grwalter@watcgl.waterloo.cdn				  (CDNnet and some European nets)
watmath!watcgl!grwalter						  (UUCP)
uunet!watmath!watcgl!grwalter				  (another UUCP alternative)
grwalter%watcgl.waterloo.edu@csnet-relay.arpa (ARPA)

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (05/17/88)

*** WARNING - This is a flame message, you may hit "N" now...

In article <41.228E8CA9@rubbs1.UUCP> Daniel_Zenchelsky@rubbs1.UUCP (Daniel Zenchelsky) writes:
>Amiga Disk Backup -- Software List (5/14/88)
>+
>We can make backups of the following software without you
>supplying an original:
>+
>Fire Power, Crystal Hammer, Dark Castle (2 disks), Archon I, Shanghai
>Faery Tale, Silent Service, Skyfox, Starglider, Larn 12.0b, Hack
>Bard's Tale, Barbarian, Flight simulator, Marble Madness,
>Guild of Thieves, Defender of the Crown, Moebius, Arena, Workbench 1.2
>Facc II, Maruader II, Project D, Pascal, C, Extras/Basic 1.2
>Kickstart 1.2, Word Perfect 4.1 (4 disks), Textcraft plus, Scribble
>Superbase, NewTek Demo, Deluxe Paint II, Deluxe Paint II art disk
>Digi-Paint, Digi-View, Butcher 2.0, Printmaster, Aegis animator
>Silver, Sculpt 3d, Dynamic Cad 2.0, Audio Master, Sonix 2.0 (2 disks)
>Music Construction Set, Dynamic Drums (2 disks), Psound
>+
>As well as Fred Fish Disks 1-123.
>+
>+
>These are by no means all the disks we can copy (in fact we can copy
>almost all the disks on the market today.) If you have a disk that
>is not on the list, PLEASE, send us the disk and we will copy it.
>+

****** FULL FLAME MODE ON! ******

   This backup offer is a total scam!

   Sure everyone has the right to a backup copy, but paying you to backup
  Fish Disks, or Kickstart  disks - can you say "screwed"? Im sure anyone
  you rip off can. These are non-protected disks, read my lips "NON-PROTECTED".
  Any day #1 with an Amiga novice can simply drag the disks icon over a blank
  disks icon  and *POOF* instant backup copy.

   As for offering to make backup copies *WITHOUT* the original(s), just how
  can you make a legal copy for someone if they DO NOT send you their original
  disk as proof of ownership? I guess you just take their word for it, or maybe
  a receipt from PathMark for Pampers or Sears for that new Craftsman drill?
  Can you say illegal, I know alot of layers who can :-)

   Then to top it all off you offer to make a backup copy of my Marauder disk,
  this one wins the all time asshole award! I should pay you to back up a copy
  program that is non-protected. Marauder tells you on its own disk, that it
  can copy itself.  Now think about it, any use who bought Marauder can make
  a backup copy of it and most of their disks themself.

   Most likley you use Marauder, Project D or one of the other copy programs
  to make these backups of the protected disks your offering to backup for me.
  Ha Ha Ha... you're a real joker! This sounds like a pirate scam to increase
  YOUR collection of programs while making your collection available (for a
  slight fee of course) to other pirates.

   Think about this..... Im a pirate and want that new game XYZ, so I buy a
  Enhancer Kit at my local dealer for $15. Send you the receipt, because all
  it says is "ABC Computers - $15", you send me game XYZ. Now on the other
  hand.... I send you my new game, you copy it for me, and just happen to
  make a spare couple of copies for you and your buddies, then charge me for
  being ripped off!

   Either this is the stupidist pirate scam I have ever heard of or you're the
  most niave person living! Which is it, pirate or niave?

****** FULL FLAME MODE OFF! ******

--
 Dan "Sneakers" Schein   uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
 Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net

In article <3792@cbmvax.UUCP| carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) writes:
|In article <41.228E8CA9@rubbs1.UUCP| Daniel_Zenchelsky@rubbs1.UUCP (Daniel Zenchelsky) writes:
||Amiga Disk Backup -- Software List (5/14/88)
||+
||We can make backups of the following software without you
||supplying an original:
||+
||Fire Power, Crystal Hammer, Dark Castle (2 disks), Archon I, Shanghai
||Faery Tale, Silent Service, Skyfox, Starglider, Larn 12.0b, Hack
||Bard's Tale, Barbarian, Flight simulator, Marble Madness,
||Guild of Thieves, Defender of the Crown, Moebius, Arena, Workbench 1.2
||Facc II, Maruader II, Project D, Pascal, C, Extras/Basic 1.2
||Kickstart 1.2, Word Perfect 4.1 (4 disks), Textcraft plus, Scribble
||Superbase, NewTek Demo, Deluxe Paint II, Deluxe Paint II art disk
||Digi-Paint, Digi-View, Butcher 2.0, Printmaster, Aegis animator
||Silver, Sculpt 3d, Dynamic Cad 2.0, Audio Master, Sonix 2.0 (2 disks)
||Music Construction Set, Dynamic Drums (2 disks), Psound

|Are you nuts ?   I read your previous posting and order form.  Do you
|really think it is legal for you to provide people with copies of
|commercial software on either an "original receipt" which will probably
|not specify exactly what they bought or on a signature that could belong
|to someone not of legal age or to a fictitious person ?
|I certainly hope you discussed this attorney because I have a feeling
|you are going to need one.
|And what they heck are Kickstart, Workbench, Extras, Textcraft Pluss,
|C, and Pascal doing on your list ????   Those disks are not copy
|protected and anyone with a legitimately purchased copy can make their
|own archival backup with the Amiga Diskcopy command.  I see no reason for
|such software to even appear on your list unless you are what you appear
|to be - software pirates.

Is there anybody interested in getting this BLATANT PIRATE to court? Is
CBM interested in doing that?  This is the kind of operation that should
be SHUT DOWN before it even starts to operate.  Note that since he is
trying to do this through the US Mail system he could be charged with violation
of a number of federal laws (fraud, etc...).  Let's get this jerk off the face
of the earth :-)

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (05/18/88)

This message is ridiculious!!!! He has Crystal Hammer on the list!!! For
Christ sakes that program has NOT even been released yet!!!!
Since nobody else has come right out and said it..... THIS GUY IS A CROOK!!!
Don't send him a DIME!!!!!!

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com

p.s. Sorry, but such out and out piracy really pisses me off!

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (05/18/88)

I wonder how long it will be before all of the companies who make
products mentioned in the "Pirate List" will sue?  Certainly
Commodore should -- all their software is unprotected and not freely
redistributable.

CATS, have you shown this to the Commodore Legal Department?

			    --M

Michael Portuesi / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

"Memories are uncertain friends, when recalled by messages" -- OMD, "Messages"

In article ... Daniel_Zenchelsky@rubbs1.UUCP (Daniel Zenchelsky) writes:
> We can make backups of the following software without you
> supplying an original:

Really?

> Fire Power, Crystal Hammer, Dark Castle (2 disks), Archon I, Shanghai...

For you news.admin people, the original message included about 15 lines of
programs, mostly copyrighted commercial programs.

> These are by no means all the disks we can copy (in fact we can copy
> almost all the disks on the market today.) If you have a disk that
> is not on the list, PLEASE, send us the disk and we will copy it.

I think this is a pretty flagrant violation of whatever sets of rules most
systems try to abide by. I know the FBI will see this, since uunet sends
them a tape, but what other action should be taken in the meantime?
--
-- Peter da Silva      `-_-'      ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- "Have you hugged your U wolf today?" ...!bellcore!tness1!sugar!peter

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (05/18/88)

In article <wWYH0qy00XcL012G8Q@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>I wonder how long it will be before all of the companies who make
>products mentioned in the "Pirate List" will sue?  Certainly
>Commodore should -- all their software is unprotected and not freely
>redistributable.
>
>CATS, have you shown this to the Commodore Legal Department?

Yes - legal is getting a copy.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (05/18/88)

I've noticed most of the trash in this newsgroup comes from
rubbs1.uucp, a FidoNet gateway.  Maybe we can get rutgers
to stop forwarding stuff from them?

From: Daniel_Zenchelsky@rubbs1.UUCP (Daniel Zenchelsky)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
Subject: Amiga Disk Backup (#2)
Date: 15 May 88 13:35:05 GMT

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page

In article <7143@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>I've noticed most of the trash in this newsgroup comes from
>rubbs1.uucp, a FidoNet gateway.  Maybe we can get rutgers
>to stop forwarding stuff from them?

|From: Daniel_Zenchelsky@rubbs1.UUCP (Daniel Zenchelsky)
|Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
|Subject: Amiga Disk Backup (#2)
|Date: 15 May 88 13:35:05 GMT

Good idea. Mail your gripe to postmaster@rutgers.edu or is there a better
address?
-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

>|In article <41.228E8CA9@rubbs1.UUCP| Daniel_Zenchelsky@rubbs1.UUCP (Daniel Zenchelsky) writes:
>||Amiga Disk Backup -- Software List (5/14/88)

	WILL YOU PEOPLE STOP INCLUDING (>) HIS !@#$#@ TEXT IN YOUR REPLIES
	PLEASE???  Cut it down to one (1) line.  Huh? Pretty Please?   I'm
	sure we all want to linch the guy but for all we know he isn't
	even reading the newsgroup....

	send mail to him <directly> ... or even send mail to root on his
	machine, or postmaster on his machine, or whatever.... but stop
	wasting network bandwidth.  The issue is dead! (because everybody
	agrees).

						Thanks,

						-Matt

kurt@tc.fluke.COM (Kurt Guntheroth) (05/19/88)

>To: Daniel_Zenchelsky@rubbs1.UUCP
>Subject: Re: Amiga Disk Backup

Hey, great scam.  And you could try out every program that came to you
too, huh.  And maybe keep your own backup, on the sly?  I wonder how
many people will just send in the $5.  It could get expensive to buy
all those programs for awhile.  Or maybe they are just on some nearby
pirate BBS.  Trouble is, then legitimate owners might not get the
version they asked for.  Or it might not have their serial number, in
which case you'd be in deep yoghurt.  It'd be a pretty easy trap to
fall into too, if a software company wanted to trap you.  In fact, if a
software company wanted to get picky, and they had a serial number on
the disk, and you sent back a copy that differed from the original, it
would be a pretty clear case of copyright infringement, for which the
penalty can be $10K per infringement.  You're gonna have to sell a
whole lot of legitimate $5 disks to pay for even one of these fines,
not to mention legal fees.

Hope DNZ is a corporation...

My opinions are intellectual property.  Keep your hands off!

wisner@fenchurch.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) (05/19/88)

>                         I know the FBI will see this, since uunet sends
>them a tape..

Really?

..b

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (05/19/88)

In article <9136@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
)|In article <41.228E8CA9@rubbs1.UUCP| Daniel_Zenchelsky@rubbs1.UUCP (Daniel Zenchelsky) writes:
)||We can make backups of the following software without you
)||supplying an original:

)Is there anybody interested in getting this BLATANT PIRATE to court? Is
)CBM interested in doing that?  This is the kind of operation that should
)be SHUT DOWN before it even starts to operate.  Note that since he is
)trying to do this through the US Mail system he could be charged with violation
)of a number of federal laws (fraud, etc...).  Let's get this jerk off the face
)of the earth :-)
)-- Marco Papa 'Doc'

Marco, you know we don't allow CBM lawyers to read the net. ;^)
Flame this guy through mail.  Sooner or later his system administrator will
read some of the massive quantities of mail and kick his butt.

Anybody catch his mail path?

	jimm
--
	Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing
	amiga!jimm	BIX:jmackraz

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (05/20/88)

In article <9175@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>In article <7143@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>>I've noticed most of the trash in this newsgroup comes from
>>rubbs1.uucp, a FidoNet gateway.  Maybe we can get rutgers
>>to stop forwarding stuff from them?

>|From: Daniel_Zenchelsky@rubbs1.UUCP (Daniel Zenchelsky)
>|Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
>|Subject: Amiga Disk Backup (#2)
>|Date: 15 May 88 13:35:05 GMT
>
>Good idea. Mail your gripe to postmaster@rutgers.edu or is there a better
>address?
>-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
> "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]
>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Whoa guys - time to put a stop to this.

Do *not* - I repeat - do *not* send flames to postmaster@rutgers,
it is entirely inappropriate to do so. A bit of background and
explanation follows...

rubbs1 is a PC Fido Node run by the Rutgers Microlab in Piscataway,
NJ. My theory about Mr Zenchelsky (from what I've been able to glean
from my end - he has an account on my BBS) is that he is a high
school student living in Highland Park, NJ (just down the road from
Piscataway). Mr Zenchelsky probably does not fully realize what
Usenet is nor the ramifications of his posting his message here. I
would venture a guess that he received an A500 as a present, perhaps
having formerly owned a C64, and has carried his piracy over from
that environment.

Now, the good folks who run the Rutgers computers that are on the
net are not solely responsible for the operation of rubbs1. I would
suggest sending mail - *not* flames - to Michael Keyles (keyles@rutgers)
who is responsible for the operation of the Fido node.

Mr Zenchelsky may have the opportunity to attend one of my user
group meetings such as the one I am holding tommorrow evening. If he
should, I will certainly take the opportunity to converse with him
and find out what I can.

Eric

ARPA:	eric@topaz.rutgers.edu or eric@ulysses.att.com
UUCP:	{wherever!}ulysses!eric or {wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

"To err is human; To really f*ck up requires the root password."

BEB@UNO.BITNET (Bruce Bettis) (05/20/88)

What a wonderful service, and such a clever way to advertise!

I'd like to order one of everything you have in stock, but, alas, cash
flow difficulties... perhaps you would take an ounce of cocaine or a nubile
virgin slave (your choice of age and sex) in trade? Or property, hmm, how
about a nice bridge?

(Damn, I love this network... :)
                                  Bruce
death before disclaimer
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
<>Handle:   Bruce Bettis         USnail:   University of New Orleans  <>
<>BITnet:   <BEB@UNO.BITNET>               Computer Research Center   <>
<>Voices:   (504) 286-7067                 New Orleans, La. 70148     <>
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

bakken@hrsw2.UUCP (David E. Bakken) (05/21/88)

In article <7143@swan.ulowell.edu>, page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
> I've noticed most of the trash in this newsgroup comes from
> rubbs1.uucp, a FidoNet gateway.  Maybe we can get rutgers
> to stop forwarding stuff from them?

I agree, and my request for this is in the mail to rutgers!usenet.  I
suggest others that feel the same way follow suit.
--
Dave Bakken   Boeing Commercial Airplanes		(206) 277-2571
uw-beaver!apcisea!hrsw2!bakken

suh@cunixc.columbia.edu (Kenneth Suh) (05/21/88)

In article <41.228E8CA9@rubbs1.UUCP> Daniel_Zenchelsky@rubbs1.UUCP (Daniel Zenchelsky) writes:
>Amiga Disk Backup -- Software List (5/14/88)
>+
>We can make backups of the following software without you
>supplying an original:
>+
>Fire Power, Crystal Hammer, Dark Castle (2 disks), Archon I, Shanghai
blah...blah...blah

Duh, I want a backup of the backup I made... I think...

>These are by no means all the disks we can copy (in fact we can copy
>almost all the disks on the market today.) If you have a disk that
>is not on the list, PLEASE, send us the disk and we will copy it.
>+

Do these guys guarantee that they won't keep a copy?  Does anyone think
that they are on thin ice?

/ken

Kenneth Suh                            PATH: suh@CUNIXC.COLUMBIA.EDU
41-57 Bowne Street                           SY.SUH@CU20B.BITNET
Flushing, NY  11355                          ..!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!suh

--
Kenneth Suh                            PATH: suh@CUNIXC.COLUMBIA.EDU
41-57 Bowne Street                           SY.SUH@CU20B.BITNET
Flushing, NY  11355                          ..!rutgers!columbia!cunixc!suh

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (05/22/88)

Well, what do you know - guess who showed up at my meeting Friday night?
Turns out my suspicions were fairly accurate - Mr. Zenchelsky is not
even in high school yet, he's only 12 years old. Now, this does not
excuse his actions, but I hope that it puts the situation in a
different perspective.

In any event, I did not get a chance to approach him personally (I'm
really busy at JAUG meetings, since I run the show), but I did alert
my Membership VP and he did get the chance to approach him. I am
assured by my associate, Thom Madura, that he made Daniel aware that
pirates are not welcome in our User Group, in the Amiga Community,
or on Usenet. Since we now have a way of contacting Daniel directly
(he did join our group), I will approach him myself with the concerns
of the net. Please mail your comments directly to me - I will be
calling him sometime late this week.

I hope this puts the discussion to a rest - please send further
discussion my way.

Thanks guys,
Eric

ARPA:	eric@topaz.rutgers.edu or eric@ulysses.att.com
UUCP:	{wherever!}ulysses!eric or {wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

"To err is human; To really f*ck up requires the root password."

:Well, what do you know - guess who showed up at my meeting Friday night?
:Turns out my suspicions were fairly accurate - Mr. Zenchelsky is not
:even in high school yet, he's only 12 years old. Now, this does not
:excuse his actions, but I hope that it puts the situation in a
:different perspective.

	Only 12?  Jeez ... that's the problem with the USENET, you have
no idea who's on the other end of the line!

	Matt Dillon
	Male (no dah!)
	major=EECS Senior, UC Berkeley, going for his Bull Shit degree.
	age=21.84

					-Matt

juan@gatech.edu (Juan M. Orlandini) (05/24/88)

In article <8805230812.AA10303@cory.Berkeley.EDU>, dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
> no idea who's on the other end of the line!

You forgot to post you phone # for some of the ladies on the net. :-)

      Name: Juan Orlandini
      Sex : as often as possible (surprise, surprise)
    School: Georgia Tech, ICS/IM sophomore major (CS and Industrial Management)
      Age : 20.81367 (Matt, Aug 1?)

        //     _______                   //      "Honesty is the best policy
       //         |       __            //       but, insanity is a better
    \\//          | |  | |__| |\ |   \\//        defense."
     \/        |__| |__| |  | | \|    \/

School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
uucp:	...!{decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,linus,rutgers}!gatech!juan
Internet: juan@gatech.edu            BIX: juan

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (05/25/88)

[ Wouldn't ya like to be a line-eater too?! ]

Hey Daniel ... Wake up man you are violating copyright laws.
You must be reading all of the flamage about your last posting,
so get it through your thicker-than-average-cranium....

    YOU ARE GETTING INTO DEEP DEEP WATER, IT IS ILLEGAL!!!!

In article <8805230812.AA10303@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>	Only 12?  Jeez ... that's the problem with the USENET, you have
>no idea who's on the other end of the line!

	Personally, I think it's an advantage, as it forces you to take the
other guy/gal seriously.  I mean, suppose this person started a real
interesting and coherent discussion on optimizing the graphics routines.
Would you have even begun to respond to him if you knew ahead of time that
s/he was only 12 years old?

	Name:	Leo L. Schwab
	Sex:	What's that?
	School:	Hard Knocks (I have little formal education beyond high
		school)
	Age:	23.7973990418 (roughly)

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape  ihnp4!pacbell -\
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	      dual ---> !{well,unicom}!ewhac

keyles@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Michael Keyles) (05/27/88)

> Marco, you know we don't allow CBM lawyers to read the net. ;^)
> Flame this guy through mail.  Sooner or later his system administrator will
> read some of the massive quantities of mail and kick his butt.

Consider it kicked...He no longer has access to my system. I posted
his reply in a separate message. Sorry it took so long to catch on,
but I don't read this newsgroup. Thanks to all who mailed directly to
me about this.

Mike
Michael Keyles 			  UUCP    : rutgers!elbereth.rutgers.edu!keyles
Rutgers University		  BITNET  : 1005106@rutvm1
P.O Box 879  			  INTERNET: keyles@elbereth.rutgers.edu
Piscataway, NJ 08855		  FIDONET : 1:107/320
(201) 932-3237

Subject: Xmodem for VMS
Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec

Hi,

The version of XMODEM that we are currently running is from 1984. Can
someone point me to the latest version for VAX/VMS?

Thanks,

Mike

In article <10300@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) writes:

> Whoa guys - time to put a stop to this.
>
> Do *not* - I repeat - do *not* send flames to postmaster@rutgers,
> it is entirely inappropriate to do so. A bit of background and
> explanation follows...
>
> rubbs1 is a PC Fido Node run by the Rutgers Microlab in Piscataway,
> NJ. My theory about Mr Zenchelsky (from what I've been able to glean
> from my end - he has an account on my BBS) is that he is a high
> school student living in Highland Park, NJ (just down the road from
> Piscataway). Mr Zenchelsky probably does not fully realize what
> Usenet is nor the ramifications of his posting his message here. I
> would venture a guess that he received an A500 as a present, perhaps
> having formerly owned a C64, and has carried his piracy over from
> that environment.

I don't think this is accurate. He did have accounts on an academic
computer here at Rutgers. That account has been closed as well.

Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec

Hi,

The version of XMODEM that we are currently running is from 1984. Can
someone point me to the latest version for VAX/VMS?

Thanks,

Mike

Rick_Sharpe@rubbs1.UUCP (Rick Sharpe) (05/28/88)

Don't worry people... Amiga Disk Backup is out of business.
I saw this posted on a bbs:

.
.                                                       5-25-88
.
.
.     A) When I created the Amiga Disk Backup offer, I intended to
. create an easy, effective means for legitimate software owners to make
. legal backups of software which they own. My service is equivalent to
. a copy program. Yes, it can be used for illegal purposes, but if used
. properly, as I believe most people do, it is a tool that can save you
. lots of wasted time and money. I do not condone piracy, and my service
. is not intended for that purpose.
.
.     B) Due to the negative publicity, which I believe is unjust, I have
. decided to cancel my Amiga Disk Backup offer.
.
.     C) You have permission to reproduce this, as long as you reproduce
. the entire document.
.
.
.                             Thank You,
.                                 Daniel Zenchelsky
.

bakken@hrsw2.UUCP (David E. Bakken) (06/03/88)

One thing that I noticed about this whole affair is that the young
Mr. Z. is amazingly articulate for a 12 year old.  If he really is
12, and if he gets his act straight about software ethics (as it
seems to have been a piracy hoax), I would go out of my way to hire
him in 10 years time.

--
Dave Bakken   Boeing Commercial Airplanes		(206) 277-2571
uw-beaver!apcisea!hrsw2!bakken
Disclaimer: These are my own views, not those of my employers.  Don't
let them deter you from buying the 747 you've been saving hard for.

michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) (06/20/88)

Why does everyone say this is a piracy hoax?

Consider: Here we have a small scale duplicator, much like the large commercial
ones, only smaller. For $2 if you sent a disk, he'd duplicate it; for $5
if it was one he had, he'd duplicate it. Now, how unreasonable is that?

Someone said, "Buy marauder, and forget him". But you can't buy marauder--
you have to keep on buying the G-D-updates. When I bought Marauder, both
the ads and the package back said "Copies any disk"; when I took it home
and opened it (too late to return it) it said, "Marauder only copies
those disks we say it will copy; for others, please buy our nice upgrades
and pay for the program many times over".

Thats unacceptable.

Whats worse is that some things just won't copy even with the next brain file
to come out. Brain 10 still didn't copy emerald mines, and I wound up
going in with db and removing the protection (see later article).

I took the ad as someone saying, "I have developed my own copy program, and
I will make sure it copies anything. I will offer it as a service for
$2 per disk. Oh yea--I also have a complete fish collection which I will
sell for $5 per disk, or $2 if you send a blank. If you and I both own
the same game, and you are willing to say that you own it, then for $5
I will copy it and you won't have to send in the disk". That last part
is not piracy--you had to sign a statement that yes, you did own the game,
making you sueable, not him. He may not have been aware that someone under
18 could not enter a contract--I didn't (although it seems reasonable if
you think about it.)

I really think its a shame that this person was flammed to a third degree
burn level so fast; it really reduces the chance of any such venture
from being started. And yes, I think that there's money to be made.
Start by backing up Aracknoid--Discovery wants $3, you charge $2, you
make the profit. :-)
: ---
: Michael Gersten			 uunet.uu.net!denwa!stb!michael
:				sdcsvax!crash!gryphon!denwa!stb!michael
: What would have happened if we had lost World War 2. Well, the west coast
: would be owned by Japan, we would all be driving foreign cars, hmm...