[comp.sys.amiga] BAD GURU trouble!

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (06/14/88)

2 weeks ago I reported that I was having GURU trouble with VT100 2.8
and my Avatec modem.  Can anyone help??

Every time I run VT100 v2.8 with my new Avatec modem, I get a GURU
when I exit.  The GURU *wipes out* my VD0: ramdisk.  The GURU numbers
vary greatly.  Here are the last 4 I received:

		00000008.0021C3D8
		00000004.0022CB68
		0000000B.0022CD88
		00000003.00206250

I've been using VT100 and VD0: for over a year with no problems.
My configuration is:

		A1000 with 512K + external drive
		2 meg Starboard II memory expansion
		C. Ltd. 50 meg hard drive + SCSI interface
		Avatec 2400 modem
		Serial A-B-C switch box between modem and A1000

I never have a VD0: of more than 1 meg, and I am never close to
running out of memory.

I used to run DMouse v1.06 and ConMan v1.1 in the background, but
I have taken them out.  I still get GURU's.  I am using ARP commands.
Here's typical scenario:

	Warm boot.
	startup-sequence:
		ClearSCSI (clears scsi port for C.Ltd. drive).
		if VD0:c does not exist, makedir it.
		path add (various directories)
		Prompt "%n %p"	(ARP path command)
		Version
		Mount Pipe:	(Dillon PIPE: device)
		Stack 10000
		Various "set"s and "assign"s.
	run vt100	(or just "vt100")
	have a terminal session
	exit vt100 & turn off modem (either one first)
	type a few random CLI commands
	GURU

Can anybody suggest something helpful?  I am at a total loss.
--
Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP
		barrett@cs.jhu.edu

dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM (Dale Snell) (06/15/88)

[  Trust the Computer.  The Computer is your friend.  ]

In article <6538@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU
(Daniel Jay Barrett) writes:

|Every time I run VT100 v2.8 with my new Avatec modem, I get a GURU
|when I exit.  The GURU *wipes out* my VD0: ramdisk.  The GURU numbers
|vary greatly.  Here are the last 4 I received:
|
|		00000008.0021C3D8
|		00000004.0022CB68
|		0000000B.0022CD88
|		00000003.00206250
|
|I've been using VT100 and VD0: for over a year with no problems.
|My configuration is:
|
|		A1000 with 512K + external drive
|		2 meg Starboard II memory expansion
|		C. Ltd. 50 meg hard drive + SCSI interface
|		Avatec 2400 modem
|		Serial A-B-C switch box between modem and A1000
|
|I never have a VD0: of more than 1 meg, and I am never close to
|running out of memory.
|
|I used to run DMouse v1.06 and ConMan v1.1 in the background, but
|I have taken them out.  I still get GURU's.  I am using ARP commands.
|Here's typical scenario:

	[ description of typical usage ]

|Can anybody suggest something helpful?  I am at a total loss.
|--
|Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP
|		barrett@cs.jhu.edu

     I get similar problems with r2.8 of vt100.  I didn't notice nearly as
many gurus with r2.7, and I've been considering going back to the older
version, but I like the new features. (*snif!*)

     My configuration is a stock B2000 w/2nd internal drive, 1Meg of ram, no
other extras, and a USR Courier 2400 modem.  I run DMouse 1.06, Patch_1, the
Arp commands, and have tried SnipIt, Matt Dillon's PIPE:, and Ed Puckett's P:
devices.  I've removed all of them at various times and in various
combinations, and I'm sure it's in vt100 somewhere.  :-(  And I *like* vt100;
it makes the commercial programs I've tried look sick!

     Dan's Guru numbers look familiar, although on my machine the address is
almost always somewhere in $C00000 memory.  (I have gotten a few outside
that, including one of 3.FFFFFFF [!?!?].)  Fact is, I was almost sure that I
had some bad ram somewhere, I've been getting so many failures.  Now I'm not
so sure.  I don't always get guru meditations, either.  Sometimes the program
just locks up.  Usually it's trying to do a Kermit transfer, and everything
just stops.  Nothing gets out of the Amiga, and I can't exit the program.
Everything else seems okay, but I have to reboot to get my serial port back.

     Please don't get me wrong.  I'm not trying to flame Tony Sumrall or
vt100.  Like I said, I *like* this program, and consider it superior to the
commercial programs I've tried.  I intend to keep on using it, gurus and all,
because I *do* like it so much.  I'm mentioning all this simply because I'd
like to see it get better.  And who knows, maybe I really do have a flakey
ram chip somewhere...
					--dds

p.s.
     Would keeping a log of Guru Meditation numbers help anyone?  I'm
willing if it'll do any good.  --dds

Hark! Hark! The dogs do bark,       | Dale D. Snell:  dales@teksce.SCE.TEK.COM
The King is fond of kittens.        | UUCP:  ...!tektronix!tekgen!teksce!dales
He likes to take their insides out, | Compu$erve:  74756,666
And use them for his mittens!       | What's a disclaimer?

jim@b11.UUCP (Jim Levie ) (06/17/88)

> |Every time I run VT100 v2.8 with my new Avatec modem, I get a GURU
> |when I exit.  The GURU *wipes out* my VD0: ramdisk.  The GURU numbers
> |vary greatly.  Here are the last 4 I received:
> |

>      I get similar problems with r2.8 of vt100.  I didn't notice nearly as
> many gurus with r2.7, and I've been considering going back to the older
> version, but I like the new features. (*snif!*)

Although neither of the two articles said, I suspect they are using Kermit.
The distributed version on VT100 V2.8 has a definite bug in the Kermit support
that I guarantee will turn an Amiga into a mindless slug. I've reported the
bug and and my fix to Tony, but I guess there hasn't been a distribution of
an "official fix".  I'll generate the diffs and post them. I also fixed the
missing 2000 keypad keys so that it now looks like a real vt100 keyboard.

--
=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
 Jim Levie   REMTECH Inc  Huntsville, Al

acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (06/18/88)

In article <250@b11.UUCP> jim@b11.UUCP (Jim Levie ) writes:
>> |Every time I run VT100 v2.8 with my new Avatec modem, I get a GURU
>> |when I exit.  The GURU *wipes out* my VD0: ramdisk.  The GURU numbers
>> |vary greatly.  Here are the last 4 I received:
>> |

>>      I get similar problems with r2.8 of vt100.  I didn't notice nearly as
>> many gurus with r2.7, and I've been considering going back to the older
>> version, but I like the new features. (*snif!*)
>
>Although neither of the two articles said, I suspect they are using Kermit.
>The distributed version on VT100 V2.8 has a definite bug in the Kermit support
>that I guarantee will turn an Amiga into a mindless slug. I've reported the
>bug and and my fix to Tony, but I guess there hasn't been a distribution of
>an "official fix".  I'll generate the diffs and post them.

I've gotten many reports of the kermit problem.  The "official fix" is
not very far away now (I've finally gotten some promising reports from my
beta testers).

>  [...]   I also fixed the
>missing 2000 keypad keys so that it now looks like a real vt100 keyboard.

I'd really like to see your fix on this.  I know how I've done it for 2.9
but I'd like to see how others do it, too.  Would you mind sending it to
me?  Thanks!

> Jim Levie   REMTECH Inc  Huntsville, Al

--
Tony Sumrall acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

maloff@calgary.UUCP (Sheldon Maloff) (06/20/88)

In article <8cw6xdcRS11010Bqrpw@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) writes:

> I've gotten many reports of the kermit problem.  The "official fix" is
> not very far away now (I've finally gotten some promising reports from my
> beta testers).

> --
> Tony Sumrall acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!acs

I'm still using version 2.6 (actually version 2.62 with the changes I've
made to it, including some kermit fixes that came over the net moons
ago when 2.6 was reigning supreme.)  I haven't found a vt100 program
since that I've wanted to switch too, yet.  But my question is this:
is there a problem with the 2.6 kermit transfer too?  I haven't been
bitten by any yet (although it does lock up if you try to abort
a kermit transmission)  Has the code changed drastically with 2.7/2.8,
or is this bug a carry over from 2.6.  This would convince me enough
to move up to 2.9 (looking over 2.8, it looks very good).

|| maloff@calgary.UUCP                      -----====== //  Calgary, Alberta ||
|| {ihnp4!alberta}!calgary!maloff               -----== \\  Past Host of the ||
|| .. eventually, we'll all be scaled by zero and  ---= //  '88 Winter Games ||
|| converge upon the origin ... then we'll party!    -= \\              ---==||