[comp.sys.amiga] Killing comp.binaries

cthulhu@athena.mit.edu (Jim Reich) (06/16/88)

In article <4456@killer.UUCP> woodsb@killer.UUCP (Brent L. Woods) writes:
>In article <2121@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >I'll go further. I'd be willing to say "shut down comp.binaries.amiga".
>     I wouldn't.  No way.  Though, I might be considered prejudiced...

Prejudiced or otherwise, you're right.  Can we assume that everyone on
the net has all versions of Lattice and Manx C?  The various
assemblers?  Modulas (modulii? modulae?)  Draco?  FORTH? All of the
MAKE programs ever released?  Enough memory to compile everything they
can run?  Enough TIME to compile everything?  Try compiling something
like DNET or MG2A sometime.  I don't have the hours to spare,
especially if the compilation instructions are vague, or use some
obscure system configuration!  Even if everyone on the Net WERE programmers
capable of digesting and compiling the sources, many (most?) still wouldn't be
able or willing to do it.  To be honest, although I appreciate sources, and
find them absolutely necessary in some cases (not to imply that ANYONE leaves
<gasp> BUGS in PD Software...),  most of the time I just download the binaries,
and I have a feeling comp.binaries get more use...

Look, comp.binaries is a MODERATED group.  This means that if traffic
becomes large enough to threaten other groups it can be cut back.  We
might want to consider some sort of priority system (for example,
something as specialized as that weaving system sent out recently
would have a lower priority than, say, a new version of vt100 or
Matt's shell, or a nice, small screen hack...) But of course, that's
Brent's job, not mine...
						-- Jim

mclek@dcatla.UUCP (Larry E. Kollar) (06/21/88)

In article <5801@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> cthulhu@athena.mit.edu (Jim Reich) writes:
>Look, comp.binaries is a MODERATED group.  This means that if traffic
>becomes large enough to threaten other groups it can be cut back.  We
>might want to consider some sort of priority system....

I posted such a priority system a couple of weeks ago & got my tail flamed but
good.  People won't give up binaries, or even accept a cutback.  I hear the
moderators have a continuous flood of binaries submitted to them all the time.

Another solution people have proposed & flamed is a "bin" hierarchy.  Too many
people wouldn't have access to a site that carries it.

All I know is something has to be done....

	Larry Kollar	...!gatech!dcatla!mclek

"Tied down with battleship chains, fifty foot long and a two-ton anchor."